WindowTitleMorph testing help request

KenDickey
Greetings,

I believe I have been made progress on using a layout rather than hard-coded locations for window buttons.

It would help if some of you good people would go to
        https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Morphic-Misc1
and follow the instructions in the README.md file

Please let me know of problems or suggestions.

Thanks much!!
-KenD

-KenD

Re: WindowTitleMorph testing help request

Juan Vuletich-4
On 4/28/2015 11:10 PM, Ken.Dickey wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I believe I have been made progress on using a layout rather than hard-coded locations for window buttons.
>
> It would help if some of you good people would go to
> https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Morphic-Misc1
> and follow the instructions in the README.md file

> Please let me know of problems or suggestions.
>
> Thanks much!!
> -KenD

Using submorphs for the window title means a larger amount of simpler
morphs. Not sure of the advantages. Layout add most value when they can
recompute position or extent as needed. But if position and extent will
never change, is there much advantage over hardcoding them?

BTW, what's the problem with #drawLabelOn: ? You think titles should
look the same in all themes? Or a better way to structure that code?

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich

Re: WindowTitleMorph testing help request

KenDickey
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:28:41 -0300
Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
..
> Using submorphs for the window title means a larger amount of simpler
> morphs. Not sure of the advantages. Layout add most value when they can
> recompute position or extent as needed. But if position and extent will
> never change, is there much advantage over hardcoding them?

Just an experiment.

I find changing things deepens my understanding of the code.  Successful changes mean that I am really understanding things.

Also, I like to try out alternatives from time to time to see what might be simpler.

I don't have the deep head to envision things ahead of time, so I tinker.  That is just how I do it.

> BTW, what's the problem with #drawLabelOn: ? You think titles should
> look the same in all themes? Or a better way to structure that code?

Again, just trying to simplify code -- not sure this qualifies.

One of the great things with Cuis is that Cuis is of a scale which allows folks like myself to try things out.

Given my relative lack of experience with Smalltalk development, the only way I have of measuring the usefulness of my experiments is to put out code as a conversation  with the community.

Saying a particular experiment sucks or has poor esthetics or utility is fine feedback.  No worries.

But hey, I like to tinker,  And doing so in Cuis is a joy of life!

Thank you once again for Cuis!

-KenD

-KenD

Re: WindowTitleMorph testing help request

KenDickey
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:28:41 -0300
Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW, what's the problem with #drawLabelOn: ? You think titles should
> look the same in all themes? Or a better way to structure that code?

Let me ask the question another way.

Why do we need something beyond
        Preferences windowTitleFont
?

Can the theme preference for embossedTitles be expressed in the font or incorporated into StringMorph?

--
-KenD

-KenD

Re: WindowTitleMorph testing help request

Edgar De Cleene
On 4/29/15, 11:36 AM, "Ken.Dickey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the great things with Cuis is that Cuis is of a scale which allows
> folks like myself to try things out.

You know Cuis could be still smaller/simpler ?

Edgar

Re: WindowTitleMorph testing help request

KenDickey
On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 08:07:26 -0300
"Edgar J. De Cleene" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/29/15, 11:36 AM, "Ken.Dickey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > One of the great things with Cuis is that Cuis is of a scale which allows
> > folks like myself to try things out.
>
> You know Cuis could be still smaller/simpler ?

Hmmm..

I am aware of SqueakLight, Spoon, the Lively Kernel et al.

There is a continual tension between small and useful.  I want not the smallest image available, but the simplest one which satisfies my uses.  In particular, the system should be comprehensible.  I want to understand the entire system.  I want to be able to tell stories in Smalltalk which explain to me how the numerics, object model, graphics, user interactions, and so forth work together to embody a comprehensible system which is useful in general.

I am also interested in elegance/beauty.

Building useful things makes for complexity as we undertake to fully fill the requirements of a particular context and problem domain.

The evolutionary trajectory of Cuis, toward a simpler kernel and packages which can be digested a bite at a time, satisfies my instinct for this kind of simplicity.

In particular, I hope to contribute to an executable StyledText document with chapters which document, show, and explain the beauty of Cuis.

By their nature, these things tend to be simplifications.  But a sketch can elide details which are to be filled in by the mind, and experiments, of the reader.

I want something beyond _Squeak by Example_ which helps me and others build interesting "applications".

Also, I don't know any local squeakers I could pair program with, so rely on experimenting and exposing code to the Cuis community.  Hence my interest in communication -- distributed organizational learning for Cuis.

I think I have exposed my philosophical tendencies. I am not sure if I have yet answered your question.

Perhaps you can help me out by saying something about what you desire from/for Cuis.

What attracted you?  What directions might you like to work toward?

Cheers,
-KenD

-KenD
dsg

Re: WindowTitleMorph testing help request

dsg
This mirrors my own hopes for where Cuis is headed… comprehensibility, with an environment that encourages and rewards intellectual curiosity.

> On Apr 30, 2015, at 11:01 AM, Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 08:07:26 -0300
> "Edgar J. De Cleene" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4/29/15, 11:36 AM, "Ken.Dickey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> One of the great things with Cuis is that Cuis is of a scale which allows
>>> folks like myself to try things out.
>>
>> You know Cuis could be still smaller/simpler ?
>
> Hmmm..
>
> I am aware of SqueakLight, Spoon, the Lively Kernel et al.
>
> There is a continual tension between small and useful.  I want not the smallest image available, but the simplest one which satisfies my uses.  In particular, the system should be comprehensible.  I want to understand the entire system.  I want to be able to tell stories in Smalltalk which explain to me how the numerics, object model, graphics, user interactions, and so forth work together to embody a comprehensible system which is useful in general.
>
> I am also interested in elegance/beauty.
>
> Building useful things makes for complexity as we undertake to fully fill the requirements of a particular context and problem domain.
>
> The evolutionary trajectory of Cuis, toward a simpler kernel and packages which can be digested a bite at a time, satisfies my instinct for this kind of simplicity.
>
> In particular, I hope to contribute to an executable StyledText document with chapters which document, show, and explain the beauty of Cuis.
>
> By their nature, these things tend to be simplifications.  But a sketch can elide details which are to be filled in by the mind, and experiments, of the reader.
>
> I want something beyond _Squeak by Example_ which helps me and others build interesting "applications".
>
> Also, I don't know any local squeakers I could pair program with, so rely on experimenting and exposing code to the Cuis community.  Hence my interest in communication -- distributed organizational learning for Cuis.
>
> I think I have exposed my philosophical tendencies. I am not sure if I have yet answered your question.
>
> Perhaps you can help me out by saying something about what you desire from/for Cuis.
>
> What attracted you?  What directions might you like to work toward?
>
> Cheers,
> -KenD

Re: WindowTitleMorph testing help request

garduino
I agree, my own infatuation with Cuis is for the same reasons.

This mirrors my own hopes for where Cuis is headed… comprehensibility, with an environment that encourages and rewards intellectual curiosity.

> On Apr 30, 2015, at 11:01 AM, Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 08:07:26 -0300
> "Edgar J. De Cleene" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4/29/15, 11:36 AM, "Ken.Dickey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> One of the great things with Cuis is that Cuis is of a scale which allows
>>> folks like myself to try things out.
>>
>> You know Cuis could be still smaller/simpler ?
>
> Hmmm..
>
> I am aware of SqueakLight, Spoon, the Lively Kernel et al.
>
> There is a continual tension between small and useful.  I want not the smallest image available, but the simplest one which satisfies my uses.  In particular, the system should be comprehensible.  I want to understand the entire system.  I want to be able to tell stories in Smalltalk which explain to me how the numerics, object model, graphics, user interactions, and so forth work together to embody a comprehensible system which is useful in general.
>
> I am also interested in elegance/beauty.
>
> Building useful things makes for complexity as we undertake to fully fill the requirements of a particular context and problem domain.
>
> The evolutionary trajectory of Cuis, toward a simpler kernel and packages which can be digested a bite at a time, satisfies my instinct for this kind of simplicity.
>
> In particular, I hope to contribute to an executable StyledText document with chapters which document, show, and explain the beauty of Cuis.
>
> By their nature, these things tend to be simplifications.  But a sketch can elide details which are to be filled in by the mind, and experiments, of the reader.
>
> I want something beyond _Squeak by Example_ which helps me and others build interesting "applications".
>
> Also, I don't know any local squeakers I could pair program with, so rely on experimenting and exposing code to the Cuis community.  Hence my interest in communication -- distributed organizational learning for Cuis.
>
> I think I have exposed my philosophical tendencies. I am not sure if I have yet answered your question.
>
> Perhaps you can help me out by saying something about what you desire from/for Cuis.
>
> What attracted you?  What directions might you like to work toward?
>
> Cheers,
> -KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

On 4/29/2015 12:01 PM, Ken.Dickey wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:28:41 -0300
> Juan Vuletich<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> BTW, what's the problem with #drawLabelOn: ? You think titles should
>> look the same in all themes? Or a better way to structure that code?
> Let me ask the question another way.
>
> Why do we need something beyond
> Preferences windowTitleFont
> ?
>
> Can the theme preference for embossedTitles be expressed in the font or incorporated into StringMorph?

Yes, this is a good idea. I'll try it right now.

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich

Re: WindowTitleMorph testing help request

Juan Vuletich-4
Thanks Ken for your words, and David and German for agreeing.

Yes, this is exactly why I also do Cuis.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 5/1/2015 2:09 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
I agree, my own infatuation with Cuis is for the same reasons.

This mirrors my own hopes for where Cuis is headed… comprehensibility, with an environment that encourages and rewards intellectual curiosity.

> On Apr 30, 2015, at 11:01 AM, Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 08:07:26 -0300
> "Edgar J. De Cleene" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4/29/15, 11:36 AM, "Ken.Dickey" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> One of the great things with Cuis is that Cuis is of a scale which allows
>>> folks like myself to try things out.
>>
>> You know Cuis could be still smaller/simpler ?
>
> Hmmm..
>
> I am aware of SqueakLight, Spoon, the Lively Kernel et al.
>
> There is a continual tension between small and useful.  I want not the smallest image available, but the simplest one which satisfies my uses.  In particular, the system should be comprehensible.  I want to understand the entire system.  I want to be able to tell stories in Smalltalk which explain to me how the numerics, object model, graphics, user interactions, and so forth work together to embody a comprehensible system which is useful in general.
>
> I am also interested in elegance/beauty.
>
> Building useful things makes for complexity as we undertake to fully fill the requirements of a particular context and problem domain.
>
> The evolutionary trajectory of Cuis, toward a simpler kernel and packages which can be digested a bite at a time, satisfies my instinct for this kind of simplicity.
>
> In particular, I hope to contribute to an executable StyledText document with chapters which document, show, and explain the beauty of Cuis.
>
> By their nature, these things tend to be simplifications.  But a sketch can elide details which are to be filled in by the mind, and experiments, of the reader.
>
> I want something beyond _Squeak by Example_ which helps me and others build interesting "applications".
>
> Also, I don't know any local squeakers I could pair program with, so rely on experimenting and exposing code to the Cuis community.  Hence my interest in communication -- distributed organizational learning for Cuis.
>
> I think I have exposed my philosophical tendencies. I am not sure if I have yet answered your question.
>
> Perhaps you can help me out by saying something about what you desire from/for Cuis.
>
> What attracted you?  What directions might you like to work toward?
>
> Cheers,
> -KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino