Windows 2000 shuts down (with InitiateSystemShutdown) but does not power down

Windows 2000 shuts down (with InitiateSystemShutdown) but does not power down

Louis LaBrunda
Hi,

From my other posts you will note that I have been playing with InitiateSystemShutdown.  I am able to call it from a VA Smalltalk program and under Windows 7 the computer shuts down and then powers down.  On Windows 2000 the system shuts down but does not power down.  I know this is hardware and BIOs dependent but shutting down the computer from the Start button or with a free quick shutdown program also powers down the computer.

Obviously this isn't a Smalltalk question but does anyone have any ideas as to why Windows 2000 will shutdown and then won't power down?

Lou

Re: Windows 2000 shuts down (with InitiateSystemShutdown) but does not power down

Torsten Bergmann-4
Havent looked into VAST code - but I guess in the end it will call Win32 API to initiate the shutdown
There is a "ExitWindowsEx" API function - and dependent on arguments (and OS) it has different behavior:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa376868(v=vs.85).aspx

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:36:37 PM UTC+1, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi,

From my other posts you will note that I have been playing with InitiateSystemShutdown.  I am able to call it from a VA Smalltalk program and under Windows 7 the computer shuts down and then powers down.  On Windows 2000 the system shuts down but does not power down.  I know this is hardware and BIOs dependent but shutting down the computer from the Start button or with a free quick shutdown program also powers down the computer.

Obviously this isn't a Smalltalk question but does anyone have any ideas as to why Windows 2000 will shutdown and then won't power down?

Lou

Re: Windows 2000 shuts down (with InitiateSystemShutdown) but does not power down

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Torsten,

Thanks for the reply.

Havent looked into VAST code - but I guess in the end it will call Win32 API to initiate the shutdown
There is a "ExitWindowsEx" API function - and dependent on arguments (and OS) it has different behavior:

I took a look at ExitWindowsEx but settled on InitiateSystemShutdown, I forget exactly why.  The odd thing is that on Windows 7, the exact same program shuts down AND turns the power off but on Windows 2000 no power off?

Lou

Re: Windows 2000 shuts down (with InitiateSystemShutdown) but does not power down

John O'Keefe-3
Lou -

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa376873(v=vs.85).aspx says InitiateSystemShutdown is supported on Windows XP and later -- but perhaps this is only indicative of Windows 2000 being out of support. It would be interesting to find and older version of this MSDN article to see what it has to say about Windows 2000.

John

On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:32:41 AM UTC-5, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Torsten,

Thanks for the reply.

Havent looked into VAST code - but I guess in the end it will call Win32 API to initiate the shutdown
There is a "ExitWindowsEx" API function - and dependent on arguments (and OS) it has different behavior:

I took a look at ExitWindowsEx but settled on InitiateSystemShutdown, I forget exactly why.  The odd thing is that on Windows 7, the exact same program shuts down AND turns the power off but on Windows 2000 no power off?

Lou

Re: Windows 2000 shuts down (with InitiateSystemShutdown) but does not power down

Louis LaBrunda
Hi John,

Thanks.  I guess the version of the DLL on Windows 2000 is different than the one on Windows 7.  ExitWindowsEx seems to have flags that would power down but it doesn't have the delay feature of InitiateSystemShutdown that I like because it gives programs, including mine a chance to exit cleanly.  Leave it to Microsoft to not combine all these features into on function, at least not until the seventh version of their flagship OS.

Lou

Re: Windows 2000 shuts down (with InitiateSystemShutdown) but does not power down

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Everyone,

I ended up using ExitWindowsEx when (GetVersion call bitAnd: 16rFF) is less than 6 and InitiateSystemShutdown otherwise.

Lou