Windows 7 look policy

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Hello,

for those who would like to use a look policy that roughly resembles the
L&F of Windows 7: I've published a package named "Windows7LookPolicy" in
the public repository.

Notes:
- does not include specific group boxes and dividers (haven't decided
yet how they should look like). instead it uses the Windows XP
group/divider widgets
- some flickering can be observed. already tried to minimize it. if
anyone can reduce it any further I would be grateful.
- compatible with VW 7.6, but there will be some visual glitches (e.g.
inactive combo box borders)
- There are settings that control the look of certain widgets (VW
Settings -> Look and Feel -> Windows 7)
- Some widgets do not respect all settings, e.g. progress views are
always displayed as horizontal bars.
- Sliders are bitmaps and therefore need some minimum space, otherwise
they are clipped.
- no tree view hover effects or other fancy animations ;)

Re: Windows 7 look policy

Steven Kelly
Huge thanks for this!

To get an appropriate background color rather than Windows XP's beige, I
use something like this

setBackgroundColor: colorValue
        wpClass := UIBuilder defaultPolicyClass new widgetPolicy class.
        wpClass initializeDefaultWidgetColors.
        Screen default updatePaintPreferences.
        (wpClass includesBehavior: Win95WidgetPolicy) ifTrue:
                [Screen default defaultPaintPreferences matchAt:
SymbolicPaint background put: colorValue.
                (wpClass includesBehavior: WinXPWidgetPolicy) ifTrue:
                        [Screen default defaultPaintPreferences matchAt:
SymbolicPaint menuBarBackground put: colorValue]].
        ScheduledControllers restore.

An unrelated minor bug in the Win7 L&F: It looks like the horizontal
scroll bars aren't displaying their background properly when they have
no scroll marker. In Win7ScrolleBar>>displayInteriorOn:, markerBox and
interiorBox are then equal and so both box1 and box2 are of zero area.
For vertical scrollbars, box2 is the whole of the area. A quick hack of
"self shouldBeActive ifFalse: [box2 := markerBox]." at the end of the
"isVertical ifFalse:" block shows I'm in the right ballpark, but as I'm
off work with the 'flu I think I'll leave this at that for now.

Steve

Runar Jordahl
Great work! Now the big question is whether Cincom could provide some
official support for this Look and Feel. Could they for example base
their work on yours? I am not questioning your work, but we like to
use as much as possible from a source where we can expect support.

Runar

Re: Windows 7 look policy

Maarten Mostert-2
Really good !!

It is strange that you don't use Cairo for this work ???. It would be much easier to get rid of the flickering doing so.

Enclosed you find a small patch for tree view editing.

Maybe you can enclose this in your next update.

Regards,

@+Maarten,

Le 16 mai 2010 à 23:29, Holger Kleinsorgen a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> for those who would like to use a look policy that roughly resembles the
> L&F of Windows 7: I've published a package named "Windows7LookPolicy" in
> the public repository.
>
> Notes:
> - does not include specific group boxes and dividers (haven't decided
> yet how they should look like). instead it uses the Windows XP
> group/divider widgets
> - some flickering can be observed. already tried to minimize it. if
> anyone can reduce it any further I would be grateful.
> - compatible with VW 7.6, but there will be some visual glitches (e.g.
> inactive combo box borders)
> - There are settings that control the look of certain widgets (VW
> Settings -> Look and Feel -> Windows 7)
> - Some widgets do not respect all settings, e.g. progress views are
> always displayed as horizontal bars.
> - Sliders are bitmaps and therefore need some minimum space, otherwise
> they are clipped.
> - no tree view hover effects or other fancy animations ;)

patch to W7 look and Feel.st (3K) Download Attachment

VW 7.7 inspector question

Jim Harsh

I am porting my application from VW 7.5 to VW 7.7. The application
is basically a visual programming app that is used for image
analysis and simulation. Our old instances of a problem or canvases are
stored in boss format. When I try to read an old canvas, the reader is
failing. When we read an object, we read it in to an Array and then read
that array into the current format for the object. Prior to VW7.7 when I
inspected an object the variables associated with that object were displayed in
the order they were stored in memory so it was an easy matter going from prior
to ver 7 to ver 7 be just skipping location 4 for the eventhandler
that was added.
Now I see that the members are displayed in alphabetized order so I
have no idea
where useParentsColor should be located.

How do I get the inspector to display the variables in memory order vs
alphabetized order so I can read old stored objects into the current
object format?

Re: VW 7.7 inspector question

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Hello,

right click on the variables list, then choose Sort by: -> Index

> How do I get the inspector to display the variables in memory order vs
> alphabetized order so I can read old stored objects into the current
> object format?

Re: VW 7.7 inspector question

Alan Knight-2
Send #basicInspect?  You can also just send allInstVarNames to find the names in order.

At 05:38 PM 2010-06-01, Jim Harsh wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: VW 7.7 inspector question

davidbuck
There's a popup menu item to change the sort order back to the original order.

David Buck

Re: VW 7.7 inspector question

Holger Guhl
That's true. But the setting is individual for each inspector. Opening another inspector or even diving into the next level starts with the default "by name" sort. I have written the attached parcel which implements a setting which survives inspector life time. The next inspector starts with the last used sort policy.

--
Senior Consultant * Certified Scrum Master * [hidden email]
Tel: +49 231 9 75 99 21 * Fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20

Tools-Trippy-SortPolicy-1.0.zip (3K) Download Attachment

Re: VW 7.7 inspector question

Jim Harsh

Holger, Alan and Dave,
Thanks!