Windows 98 and Dolphin

Ian Bartholomew
A bit of advice from anyone who has deployed a Dolphin app to a Windows 98
machine please.

My sister has volunteered me to write a number of small applications for her
recently acquired bog standard Windows 98 based PC. My problem is that I
will not be able to actually get at the machine to test or try anything so I
was wondering what, if any, problems I might expect to come across.
Especially with old or missing dll's.

Basically, what are my chances of an app written and tested on an up-to-date
Win2000 based machine working first time on a Win98 system using the
original bits and pieces?

TIA
    Ian

Re: Windows 98 and Dolphin

Chris Double-2
"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Basically, what are my chances of an app written and tested on an
> up-to-date Win2000 based machine working first time on a Win98
> system using the original bits and pieces?

Very good. I develop on Windows 98 using Dolphin 4 and have deployed
to standard Windows 98 machines that have never had Dolphin installed
with success.

To install I use Microsoft Visual Installer, available for semi-free
from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/vsi11/download.asp

By semi-free I mean you need a product ID for a Microsoft development
product to download it.

This installer creates .msi files so I use the merge files provided by
Object Arts to install the Dolphin runtime.

I'm sure you can use any normal installer as well as long as you
install the runtimes correctly. Win 98 comes with MSVCRT.DLL, etc,
btw, so you may not need to install those.

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/smalltalk

Re: Windows 98 and Dolphin

Ian Bartholomew
Thanks Chris, and the others who replied by e-mail.

An experiment has now been performed and the prototype worked faultlessly on
the Win98 machine. I didn't even have to get them to manually register the
Dolphin VM, which surprised me no end!

Ian