Windows Installer questions

drtau
Hi, I have a few questions regarding the Windows Installer:

1)  If someone is only installing the Dolphin plugin, does he still need to install
     the Windows Installer first?

2) Assuming the answer to (1) is YES, does the Windows Installer provide some
    automatic way to manage plugin version upgrades?  For example, if a new
    version of the plugin is released and I update my applet to work with the new
    version, then the next time the end user tries to download my applet he will
    get a message prompting him to upgrade.  Also, the upgrade process will
    be something simple like "just press the upgrade button to install the upgrade".

3) Can I bind my applet to a particular version of the plugin so that if the end
     user does not have that version (or a compatible version) of the plugin installed
     he will get a warning/error message?

Thanks.

Re: Windows Installer questions

Bill Schwab
> 1)  If someone is only installing the Dolphin plugin, does he still need
to install
>      the Windows Installer first?

Yes; the MSI file has no meaning without it.  The good news is that it
should start to become more common.  It's a small download if not already
present.

> 2) Assuming the answer to (1) is YES, does the Windows Installer provide
some
>     automatic way to manage plugin version upgrades?  For example, if a
new
>     version of the plugin is released and I update my applet to work with
the new
>     version, then the next time the end user tries to download my applet
he will
>     get a message prompting him to upgrade.  Also, the upgrade process
will
>     be something simple like "just press the upgrade button to install the
upgrade".

> 3) Can I bind my applet to a particular version of the plugin so that if
the end
>      user does not have that version (or a compatible version) of the
plugin installed
>      he will get a warning/error message?

AFAIK, these are weaknesses of the plugin.  My vague recollection is that OA
knows how to solve the problem, but, they haven't yet figured out how to
make it work seemlessly with both IE and Netscape.  I'll defer to them for
the authoritative answer.

Have a good one,

Bill

--