Windows Service Application v8.6.0 does not start

1 message Options

Windows Service Application v8.6.0 does not start

Doug Stewart
I am in the process of upgrading our application from 7.5.2 to 8.6.0.

Our application is packaged into a bunch of ic's with two versions 1) Headless windows service 2) Same application code as service with a simple GUI log monitor. In 7.5.2, both apps work, but in 8.6.0, the windows service fails to start.

When I start the 8.6.0 windows service, I receive the message: The <appname> service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.

The broken 8.6.0 log file shows:
  • VA Smalltalk, Version 8.6
    VM Timestamp: 4.0,(NC) 7/3/2013 (85)
    (C) Copyright Instantiations 1994, 2013.  All rights reserved.
    (C) Copyright International Business Machines Corp. 1994, 2006.  All rights reserved.
    Virtual Machine PID: xxxx
    Commandline args {
     appname.icx
     -lstartup.appname.log
     mmf=<long location name without backslashes>
     poll=10
     gui=0
     user=<userid>
     pwd=<pwd-hash>
     }
The working 7.5.2 log file shows:
  • VA Smalltalk, Version 7.5.2
    VM Timestamp: 4.0,(NC) 6/12/2007 (74)
    (C) Copyright Instantiations 1994, 2007.  All rights reserved.
    (C) Copyright International Business Machines Corp. 1994, 2006.  All rights reserved.
    Virtual Machine PID: 5092
    Option newSpaceSize set to 8000000
    Option oldSpaceSize set to 2000000
    Option allocationIncrement set to 5000000
    Initializing BOK...
    done.Class named: TracerSweepAgentTPInitializer not found
    Class named: CaseQuerySweepAgentTPInitializer not found
    Class named: ArchiveTaskPatternInitializer not found
    Class named: MSIRegressionDTTestInitializer not found
    Class named: MTApplicationServerInvestigationManager not found
    : Failed
    Loaded MsiErrorCodeManagement
The event log shows:
  • The Server '<service executable location>' did not respond to the Start control.
I noticed in the documentation that for a windows service, one should include AbtNtServiceSupportApp and AbtNtServicePackagingApp in their image. Neither our 7.5.2 or 8.6.0 app versions include these so there must be another way.

The only differences between the 7.5.2 and the 8.6.0 are:
  • 8.6.0 app has and 7.5.2 app does not have:
    • EsLoggingFrameworkApp (Kernel IC)
    • EsLoggingFrameworkFileSupport (Common File System and NLS IC)
    • EsTimeZoneApp
    • AbtWaitApp (IBM Smalltalk, All - Headless) <- used to be in IBM Smalltalk, All - UI Run
  • 7.5.2 app has and 8.6.0 app does not have:
    • ScaledDecimalMath (Kernel IC)
    • AbtImageConfigurationApp (IBM Smalltalk, Bootstrap - Headless)
    • CWControls (Controls IC)
    • AbtWaitApp (IBM Smalltalk, All - UI Run) <- now in IBM Smalltalk, All - Headless
    • AbtRunWinCwControlsApp (VisualAge Windows 95 Controls)
It is not clear to me what may be wrong or how to go about debugging it.

Any help is very much appreciated. Be sure to tell me how to give you any information you may ask for.