Windows Subsystem For Linux

Ben Coman

I expect a native LLP64 Windows port is preferable, but I'm following
WSL developments because there's an outside chance it could offer an
interim 64-bit Windows VM.

The idea is to split the VM execution into two parts - a KVM part on
the Windows side that grabs some framebuffer resource and
mouse/keyboard events and forwards them via LxBus to the Linux side
where we already have a working JIT.  The Linux side fills the
framebuffer that the Windows side displays.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/wsl/2016/10/19/windows-and-ubuntu-interoperability/

Devil is in the details, but this is curious... "A Linux application
can share part of its virtual address space with an NT application,
which can then map it."
https://github.com/ionescu007/lxss/blob/master/The%20Linux%20kernel%20hidden%20inside%20windows%2010.pdf

Some experiments here...
https://github.com/ionescu007/lxss

WSL seems like a great environment to develop & test for a Linux
production environment while having easy access to corporate tools
like Word, Excel & Outlook.

cheers -ben

Re: Windows Subsystem For Linux

timfelgentreff

64bit Spur has been working fine for some time on the WSL, the main limitation I see right now is now no accelerated rendering, sound, or direct hardware access. But for my day to day use it's been working fine.

A shared memory region could be used by special VM plugins to enable that access.