Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Larry Kellogg
Hello,
  So, I have saved some Pharo 1.0 images, Pharo-1.8.image, for example, that contains a lot of
changes that I have made, and packages that I have loaded.

  Now, when I bring up one of my saved images, I see all the windows the way they were for
about three seconds, and then they all disappear. The image is still running but has none of the
code I loaded. I tried to interrupt the image in startup (Command . on my Mac) but have been
unsuccessful.

  Is there any way I can fix this problem? I have seven images that all display the same
problem. I'm on Pharo 1.0 and running in an Amazon EC2 micro instance.

  Regards,

  Larry

Re: Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Larry Kellogg
  Anyone?

Re: Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Mariano Martinez Peck
Sorry, I have no idea :(

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Larry Kellogg <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Anyone?

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Can you put the image up online?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Larry Kellogg

  Sorry, I can't upload the image. Is there any way to stop the startup sequence?
Something is removing all of my projects and closing all the windows.

  Larry

Re: Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
The startup list is processed before you can do a user interrupt. The only way I know of to stop before that is to compile a debug version of the VM and set a breakpoint on the VM side.

See http://forum.world.st/Fwd-Oops-I-put-a-halt-in-a-startup-method-td3800729.html

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Max Leske
Since the .changes files (together with the .sources file) contains all your changes, have you tried to get a fresh image of the same version and open it with the .changes file of one of your problematic images?

Max

On 30.10.2011, at 05:04, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> The startup list is processed before you can do a user interrupt. The only
> way I know of to stop before that is to compile a debug version of the VM
> and set a breakpoint on the VM side.
>
> See
> http://forum.world.st/Fwd-Oops-I-put-a-halt-in-a-startup-method-td3800729.html
>
> Sean

Re: Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Larry Kellogg
  Thanks Max! Yes, I realized yesterday that everything is contained in the .changes file. I will try to use my latest .changes file with a new image and see if I can get it to open. I'll report my results.

  Larry

Re: Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Larry Kellogg

  Well, that doesn't seem to work, using the original Pharo-1.0 image with the latest changes still results in the same bug at startup. Perhaps I will try to build a debug image, or figure out how to reapply all of the changes from the .changes file on top of a 1.3 image and hope I have better luck.

  Larry

Re: Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Did you publish your packages?

On Oct 27, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Larry Kellogg wrote:

> Hello,
>  So, I have saved some Pharo 1.0 images, Pharo-1.8.image, for example, that
> contains a lot of
> changes that I have made, and packages that I have loaded.
>
>  Now, when I bring up one of my saved images, I see all the windows the way
> they were for
> about three seconds, and then they all disappear. The image is still running
> but has none of the
> code I loaded.

I do not see why and how this is possible. If you code was loaded and the image saved.

> I tried to interrupt the image in startup (Command . on my
> Mac) but have been
> unsuccessful.
>
>  Is there any way I can fix this problem? I have seven images that all
> display the same
> problem. I'm on Pharo 1.0 and running in an Amazon EC2 micro instance.

can you put an image somewhere?

Re: Windows disappear in saved image on startup

Larry Kellogg
This post was updated on .
Hello Stef,
  Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been working on a local copy of Pharo. I will have to get back to the Amazon instance at some point in the near future. It would be great if I didn't have to start from scratch.

>> Did you publish your packages?

  No, I did not publish my packages. They're not for public consumption, at least not in their current state.

On Oct 27, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Larry Kellogg wrote:

> Hello,
>  So, I have saved some Pharo 1.0 images, Pharo-1.8.image, for example, that
> contains a lot of
> changes that I have made, and packages that I have loaded.
>
>  Now, when I bring up one of my saved images, I see all the windows the way
> they were for
> about three seconds, and then they all disappear. The image is still running
> but has none of the
> code I loaded.
... [show rest of quote]

>>I do not see why and how this is possible. If you code was loaded and the image saved.

  I am also puzzled by this behavior. Perhaps I will post a short video that shows how all of the windows coming up, with the state saved correctly, and then, a second later, everything disappearing. It is a frustrating bug. I have saved numerous images and they all show the same problem.

> I tried to interrupt the image in startup (Command . on my
> Mac) but have been
> unsuccessful.
>
>  Is there any way I can fix this problem? I have seven images that all
> display the same
> problem. I'm on Pharo 1.0 and running in an Amazon EC2 micro instance.

>>can you put an image somewhere?

  Let me think about it. I don't want to make my code public, at this time.

Larry