Windows menu

Torsten Bergmann
I like the browser in pharo-dev here - not spawning new windows but spawning
new panes inside the same window and using the scrollbar to return back to
any point in browsing history.

Or the sender/implementor/messages browser in Smalltalk/MT (see [1] for a screenshot)

Bye
Torsten

[1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-November/015521.html
jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

Re: Windows menu

Chris Muller-3
Since I'm the one who has kept the MessageTrace alive in Squeak since
the 90's (and about to reintroduce it to 3.11) I'm interested in this
subject.  It says that attachment was "scrubbed", is there another way
to view that screenshot?

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:41 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like the browser in pharo-dev here - not spawning new windows but spawning
> new panes inside the same window and using the scrollbar to return back to
> any point in browsing history.
>
> Or the sender/implementor/messages browser in Smalltalk/MT (see [1] for a screenshot)
>
> Bye
> Torsten
>
> [1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-November/015521.html
> --
> Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
> jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

Re: Windows menu

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Chris Muller wrote:

> Since I'm the one who has kept the MessageTrace alive in Squeak since
> the 90's (and about to reintroduce it to 3.11) I'm interested in this
> subject.  It says that attachment was "scrubbed", is there another way
> to view that screenshot?

It's a png image, I guess your viewer relies on "filename extensions". Try
this:
(SketchMorph fromStream:
'http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/attachments/20091103/594a42aa/attachment.bin'
asUrl retrieveContents contentStream binary) openInWorld

Levente

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:41 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I like the browser in pharo-dev here - not spawning new windows but spawning
>> new panes inside the same window and using the scrollbar to return back to
>> any point in browsing history.
>>
>> Or the sender/implementor/messages browser in Smalltalk/MT (see [1] for a screenshot)
>>
>> Bye
>> Torsten
>>
>> [1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2009-November/015521.html
>> --
>> Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
>> jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

Re: Windows menu

Chris Muller-3
Ah, thanks.  Ok, this is more similar to the MessageTrace (a.k.a.
Tracing Messages Browser),  which I like much better than the
"Trailblazer" (a.k.a., OB) approach that does not succinctly render a
message-flow.

Even this MT one, though, is not as succinct as TMB because it
"senders" are indented below, rather than outdented above.  Not only
does this make for a dichotomous "shape" of  the message-flow, it
commingles these "meta" lines ("senders") to let you know what the
code.  Also, I could be wrong, but my guess is that hierarchy widget
does not allow multi-select "swipe" so that unrelated methods can be
quickly and easily pruned from the list, leaving the developer with
only the relevant message-flow.

IMO, no one has ever solved this problem better than the guy (not sure
who) who invented TMB back in the 90's..!