Windows server 2008 leads to protection violation at startup

Windows server 2008 leads to protection violation at startup

Frank Govaerts
Hi,
I'm verifying how I can run a VSE application on Windows Server 2008 but the
application crashes on a protection violation - even when I run it in
whatever compatibility mode. It is a vse2000 as far as I can see.
Is this a known issue? From browsing through the messages here I had the
impression that other users get it working in win server 2008.

Thanks,
Frank

***           this signature added by listserv             ***
*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: Windows server 2008 leads to protection violation at startup

Nicolas Bryant
Have you checked to see if it's a Data Execution Prevention problem?

*** Visit  http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html ***
*** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management  ***

Re: Windows server 2008 leads to protection violation at startup

Frank Govaerts
Nicolas ,

True, I never had to check that before but that caused the problems so far.
I turned DEP off completely on a development server but is it sufficient to
put the VSE in the list of programs to exclude from DEP? Or is this where
that patching comes in?

Thanks for your fast reply,
Frank

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 10:24:11 -0000, Nicolas Bryant
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Have you checked to see if it's a Data Execution Prevention problem?

You just need to include the executable in the list of DEP exceptions.
If you're in development mode then list vdevw.exe; if it's a runtime
application then the image .exe file.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Have you checked to see if it's a Data Execution Prevention problem?

Andreas Rosenberg
Hello Frank,

you may check our VSE Wiki Knowledge Base regarding the
various problems of the VSE VM: http://vse-wiki.apis.de/.

It explains the problems and offers ways to patch the VM
and the Smalltalk framework to avoid the DEP exceptions.

Regards

   Andreas

Andreas Rosenberg | eMail: [hidden email]
APIS GmbH         | Phone: +49 9482 9415-0
Im Haslet 42      | Fax: +49 9482 9415-55
93086 Worth/D     | WWW: <http://www.apis.de/>
Germany           | <http://www.fmea.de/>