Windows

Roger Thedog
I have looked at a couple of tutorials for Morphic but they are pretty low level. Is there a guide or a framework I can look at for writing windows that you would typically expect to see in a corporate application environment?

Re: Windows

David Zmick
There are a couple of projects that are porting GTK and wxWidgets to squeak, they are called squeakGTK, and wxSqueak.  I personally have never gotten either of them to work on my Fedora 9 computer, but, on Windows, I have run wxSqueak.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Roger Thedog <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have looked at a couple of tutorials for Morphic but they are pretty low
level. Is there a guide or a framework I can look at for writing windows
that you would typically expect to see in a corporate application
environment?

David Zmick
/dz0004455\
http://dz0004455.googlepages.com
http://dz0004455.blogspot.com

Re: Windows

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Roger Thedog <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have looked at a couple of tutorials for Morphic but they are pretty low
level. Is there a guide or a framework I can look at for writing windows
that you would typically expect to see in a corporate application
environment?

Morphic is a bit ugly (visually and architecturally) for creating a corporate application. You could, in theory, do it, but I've never had fun using Morphic directly. I use ToolBuilder instead.

Like David Zmick said, wxSqueak and GTK for Squeak exist. I don't know much about them.

The best option, using Squeak, is to look at Seaside for making web-based applications. http://www.seaside.st/. Web based applications seem to be all the craze these days.

Otherwise, for a commercial application with a real GUI rather than a web-based one(*), it's probably better to use a commercial Smalltalk. http://www.smalltalk.org/ has a list of them. I've heard that VisualWorks is quite good, although other people may suggest others.

Gulik.
(*) The implication that web-based GUIs are fake is my opinion only.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Re: Windows

Claus Kick
David Zmick wrote:
> A good commercial smalltalk, that you can get for free, but, the free
> version is not licensed for commercial use, is, VisualWorks smalltalk by
> Cincom.  I think it looks pretty good also, on windows anyway, on anything
> else, it doesn't look great.

If you are on Windows or Linux, you could also try VisualAge from
Instantiations. Or Dolphin Smalltalk from Object-Arts, if you are on
Windows.

Claus

I played around with Visualage when I was looking at Smalltalk the first time around. I was quite shocked to see that it's for sale for 7000USD.
The original is still downloadable from IBM and is free. The only problem I had with that was that I couldn't get the documentation server to work in Linux.

Re: Windows

David Mitchell-10
$7K sounds about right. VW with Envy was in that range as well. As was Gemstone.

I bet their commercial systems for big customers are still expensive.

That's why I was so excited when Squeak came out as it was the first
open-source Smalltalk that felt like Smalltalk.

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Roger Thedog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Claus Kick wrote:
>>
>> If you are on Windows or Linux, you could also try VisualAge from
>> Instantiations. Or Dolphin Smalltalk from Object-Arts, if you are on
>> Windows.
>> Claus
>>

> I played around with Visualage when I was looking at Smalltalk the first
> time around. I was quite shocked to see that it's for sale for 7000USD.
> The original is still downloadable from IBM and is free. The only problem I
> had with that was that I couldn't get the documentation server to work in
> Linux.

Re: Windows

Michael Davies-3
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 3:28 AM, Roger Thedog <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have looked at a couple of tutorials for Morphic but they are pretty low
> level. Is there a guide or a framework I can look at for writing windows
> that you would typically expect to see in a corporate application
> environment?

You might find it useful to check out the work being done by the
Pinesoft.co.uk guys - they've put a lot of work into improving the
appearance of morphs to allow them to build an attractive
customer-facing application. There are a few posts on the UI mailing
list (http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/ui/) that indicate
what they're up to, and http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6005 has more
info, including screenshots.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Windows

Claus Kick
Roger Thedog wrote:

> Claus Kick wrote:
>
>>If you are on Windows or Linux, you could also try VisualAge from
>>Instantiations. Or Dolphin Smalltalk from Object-Arts, if you are on
>>Windows.
>>Claus
>>
> I played around with Visualage when I was looking at Smalltalk the first
> time around. I was quite shocked to see that it's for sale for 7000USD.

I *thought* that there was a "free for personal use" license involved
somewhere, but I checked and figured that I mixed up Instantiations and
Cincom.

You are right, however, the price is rather high. Thing is, VisualAge is
rather well-documented (but rather expensive) whereas Dolphin is cheap
and great to use, once you wrap your head around the differences.

> The original is still downloadable from IBM and is free. The only problem I
> had with that was that I couldn't get the documentation server to work in
> Linux.

It is? Could you please provide a URL? :)

Claus

Re: Windows

Roger Thedog

Claus Kick wrote
It is? Could you please provide a URL? :)
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?&uid=swg24013971
...or search google with: ibm visualage smalltalk download

Re: Windows

Louis LaBrunda
Also if you start here:

http://www.instantiations.com/VAST/index.html

I think you can find a download that is free to develop with and pay for when
you sell your program.  I am not sure about making programs for your personal
use or a company making programs for their internal use.

Lou

Re: Windows

Claus Kick
Roger Thedog wrote:

> Claus Kick wrote:
>
>>It is? Could you please provide a URL? :)
>>

> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?&uid=swg24013971
> ...or search google with: ibm visualage smalltalk download

Ah, thanks, I tried to find it via "visual age smalltalk download" only.