Wish to join Squeak team

12

Wish to join Squeak team

강진오

I made my Squeak run&speak in my language.
And I saw the comment in KoreanEnvironment class that says the team is looking for who understand Korean.
It is my language, and want Squeak to understand it.
How can I join the team?

- Jin-oh -

Re: Wish to join Squeak team

Bert Freudenberg
On 08.03.2012, at 15:04, 강진오 wrote:
> I made my Squeak run&speak in my language.
> And I saw the comment in KoreanEnvironment class that says the team is looking for who understand Korean.
> It is my language, and want Squeak to understand it.
> How can I join the team?
>
> - Jin-oh -

There are three at least three parts to this. For one, we need the actual translations. These are managed at

        http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/etoys_new/

This is not only for Etoys, but for all Squeak development tools, too. As you can see, Korean is about 22% done. To join that team you just need to sign up on the website. The FAQ there explains how to join the localization list.

Secondly, there may be bugs in Korean Etoys. So you might want to download the Etoys 5.0 beta from

        http://squeakland.org/download/

and check that it is working as intended, and if not, help fixing that. To do so you may submit fixes to the Etoys inbox, and you may want to subscribe to the etoys-dev mailing list:

Thirdly, we need developers to port the localization improvements from Etoys to Squeak trunk. Actually we need developers to port all Etoys improvements, not just localization, but that's for another day maybe ;)

For that, you can simply commit fixes to the Squeak inbox repository.

Also, Etoys ships with a Korean font pack:

        http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Etoys/fonts/

but Squeak only comes with Latin fonts. So some good way of bundling and rendering Korean (and other) fonts would have to be developed.

Thanks for helping!

- Bert -

Re: Wish to join Squeak team

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/8/12 12:28 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thirdly, we need developers to port the localization improvements from Etoys
> to Squeak trunk. Actually we need developers to port all Etoys improvements,
> not just localization, but that's for another day maybe ;)

I volunteer for doing  under direction of some guy at VPRI.
Contact me private if you wish.

Edgar

Re: Wish to join Squeak team

Bert Freudenberg
On 08.03.2012, at 15:29, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/8/12 12:28 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thirdly, we need developers to port the localization improvements from Etoys
>> to Squeak trunk. Actually we need developers to port all Etoys improvements,
>> not just localization, but that's for another day maybe ;)
>
> I volunteer for doing

Thank you!

>  under direction of some guy at VPRI.
> Contact me private if you wish.

VPRI as an institution has nothing to do with Etoys anymore, since 2009. We're all volunteers now, just like Squeak.org.

You could start by getting the GetText package into Squeak, replacing the NaturalLanguageTranslator. And then add all the "translated" calls to all the menus and UI labels as we did in the Etoys image.

However, we will need to start thinking about how to manage auxiliary files that we want to distribute with the image. That's not only translations, but e.g. loadable packages, too, or (gasp) documentation. Possibly these could just be added in the release building process, but maybe they should live in a repository somewhere, too. (for Etoys we use http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/)

- Bert -

Re: Wish to join Squeak team

Yoshiki Ohshima-3
At Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:04:56 +0900,
강진오 wrote:

> I made my Squeak run&speak in my language.
> And I saw the comment in KoreanEnvironment class that says the team is looking for who understand Korean.
> It is my language, and want Squeak to understand it.
> How can I join the team?
>
> - Jin-oh -

SeungBum Kim and his friends also made it work in the context of
Etoys.  Might be good to contact him...

-- Yoshiki

Re: Wish to join Squeak team

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/8/12 2:00 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> VPRI as an institution has nothing to do with Etoys anymore, since 2009. We're
> all volunteers now, just like Squeak.org.
>
> You could start by getting the GetText package into Squeak, replacing the
> NaturalLanguageTranslator. And then add all the "translated" calls to all the
> menus and UI labels as we did in the Etoys image.
>
> However, we will need to start thinking about how to manage auxiliary files
> that we want to distribute with the image. That's not only translations, but
> e.g. loadable packages, too, or (gasp) documentation. Possibly these could
> just be added in the release building process, but maybe they should live in a
> repository somewhere, too. (for Etoys we use
> http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/)
>
> - Bert -

I updated trunk to Squeak4.4-11916 and downloading
http://squeakland.org/content/installers/Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1.zip

Sorry but I don't see packages  into http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/

Cheers

Edgar

Using Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1(was Re: [squeak-dev] Wish to join Squeak team)

Edgar De Cleene

>From http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Documentation/Developer-HowTo.txt

1. Disable the "eToyFriendly" preference

In the past was in the left About Flap , but no in Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta

Edgar

Using Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1 Toma 1

Edgar De Cleene
I add MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://source.squeak.org/etoys'
    user: ''
    password: ''

To Squeak 4.4 ( all know the .image only opens in Cog ?)

Try to get GetText-Richo.14 which is the last in Etoys.

Aaaaggghhhhhh !!!

See picture http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8553/disaster1.jpg

Edgar

Re: Wish to join Squeak team

Bert Freudenberg

On 08.03.2012, at 20:40, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On 3/8/12 2:00 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> VPRI as an institution has nothing to do with Etoys anymore, since 2009. We're
>> all volunteers now, just like Squeak.org.
>>
>> You could start by getting the GetText package into Squeak, replacing the
>> NaturalLanguageTranslator. And then add all the "translated" calls to all the
>> menus and UI labels as we did in the Etoys image.
>>
>> However, we will need to start thinking about how to manage auxiliary files
>> that we want to distribute with the image. That's not only translations, but
>> e.g. loadable packages, too, or (gasp) documentation. Possibly these could
>> just be added in the release building process, but maybe they should live in a
>> repository somewhere, too. (for Etoys we use
>> http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/)
>>
>> - Bert -
>
> I updated trunk to Squeak4.4-11916 and downloading
> http://squeakland.org/content/installers/Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1.zip
>
> Sorry but I don't see packages  into http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/

There are no packages in the subversion repository. Please read the Etoys developer how-to:

http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Documentation/Developer-HowTo.txt

Also possibly interesting, the release howto:

http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Documentation/Release-HowTo.txt

- Bert -

Re: Using Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1(was Re: [squeak-dev] Wish to join Squeak team)

Bert Freudenberg

On 08.03.2012, at 20:57, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

>> From http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Documentation/Developer-HowTo.txt
>

> 1. Disable the "eToyFriendly" preference
>
> In the past was in the left About Flap , but no in Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta

No, that was only in my special touch-emulator version.

Use the regular preferences dialog. Either from the world's halo menu, or after pressing cmd-comma (cmd-",").

- Bert -

Using Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1 Toma 2

Edgar De Cleene
Messing around and guessing, having GetText in Squeak 4.4 without crash

Must create PreLoadofGetText (see attached) and change
TextDomainManager class>>#initialize to
initialize
    "    TextDomainManager initialize    "
    self defaultDomain: 'Etoys'

I know, it's dirty trick.

How I clean and know all works as in Etoys ?

Edgar

PreLoadofGetText.1.cs.gz (36K) Download Attachment

Re: Wish to join Squeak team

Bert Freudenberg

On 08.03.2012, at 21:59, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 08.03.2012, at 20:40, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
>

>> On 3/8/12 2:00 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> VPRI as an institution has nothing to do with Etoys anymore, since 2009. We're
>>> all volunteers now, just like Squeak.org.
>>>
>>> You could start by getting the GetText package into Squeak, replacing the
>>> NaturalLanguageTranslator. And then add all the "translated" calls to all the
>>> menus and UI labels as we did in the Etoys image.
>>>
>>> However, we will need to start thinking about how to manage auxiliary files
>>> that we want to distribute with the image. That's not only translations, but
>>> e.g. loadable packages, too, or (gasp) documentation. Possibly these could
>>> just be added in the release building process, but maybe they should live in a
>>> repository somewhere, too. (for Etoys we use
>>> http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/)
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>
>> I updated trunk to Squeak4.4-11916 and downloading
>> http://squeakland.org/content/installers/Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1.zip
>>
>> Sorry but I don't see packages  into http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/
>

> There are no packages in the subversion repository. Please read the Etoys developer how-to:
>
> http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Documentation/Developer-HowTo.txt
>
> Also possibly interesting, the release howto:
>
> http://etoys.squeak.org/svn/trunk/Documentation/Release-HowTo.txt
>
> - Bert -

Ah, I saw your other message now. I updated the how-to with details on how to get into dev mode.

- Bert -

Re: Using Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1 Toma 1

Bert Freudenberg

On 08.03.2012, at 21:38, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> I add MCHttpRepository
>    location: 'http://source.squeak.org/etoys'
>    user: ''
>    password: ''
>
> To Squeak 4.4 ( all know the .image only opens in Cog ?)
>
> Try to get GetText-Richo.14 which is the last in Etoys.
>
> Aaaaggghhhhhh !!!
>
> See picture http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8553/disaster1.jpg
>
> Edgar

That's very unexpected.  But I didn't say it was going to be easy ;)

- Bert -

Re: Wish to join Squeak team

강진오

I joined their mailing list

- Jin-oh -

2012. 3. 9. 오전 2:35에 "Yoshiki Ohshima" <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
At Thu, 8 Mar 2012 23:04:56 +0900,
강진오 wrote:

> I made my Squeak run&speak in my language.
> And I saw the comment in KoreanEnvironment class that says the team is looking for who understand Korean.
> It is my language, and want Squeak to understand it.
> How can I join the team?
>
> - Jin-oh -

SeungBum Kim and his friends also made it work in the context of
Etoys.  Might be good to contact him...

-- Yoshiki

Re: Using Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1 Toma 2

Bert Freudenberg

On 08.03.2012, at 22:16, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Messing around and guessing, having GetText in Squeak 4.4 without crash
>
> Must create PreLoadofGetText (see attached) and change
> TextDomainManager class>>#initialize to
> initialize
>    "    TextDomainManager initialize    "
>    self defaultDomain: 'Etoys'
>
> I know, it's dirty trick.
>
> How I clean and know all works as in Etoys ?

Not sure why you would need the preload. If you change the #translated call to not actually use GetText, then there should be almost no other dependencies?

As for testing, you would need to make sure the .mo files are found. They contain the compiled translations.

For anyone interested in how GetText works in general, there is a nice manual:

        http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html

However, the Squeak implementation does not use the gettext library, but implements export of .po and import of .mo files itself.

- Bert -

On 3/9/12 1:09 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure why you would need the preload.

Was as I said a case I have a crash and no load or I do the first dirty
working thing

> If you change the #translated call to
> not actually use GetText, then there should be almost no other dependencies?

OK , I explore this

> As for testing, you would need to make sure the .mo files are found. They
> contain the compiled translations.
>
> For anyone interested in how GetText works in general, there is a nice manual:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html
>
> However, the Squeak implementation does not use the gettext library, but
> implements export of .po and import of .mo files itself.

Very thanks for tip

> - Bert -

Edgar

Re: Using Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1 Toma 2

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/9/12 1:09 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure why you would need the preload. If you change the #translated call to
> not actually use GetText, then there should be almost no other dependencies?

Sorry for being slow to understand but....

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/1272/gettext.jpg

Seems me you have dependencies.

If I start from fresh Squeak 4.4 and use FileContenstBrowser for seeing my
hack without install say 4 new classes.

And some classes in the two images was not the same IMHO.

Seems Etoys and Squeak diverge so much from common ancestrum .

I continue try to have a Monticello version which loads and do not hang

Edgar

Re: Using Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1 Toma 2

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/9/12 1:09 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> However, the Squeak implementation does not use the gettext library, but
> implements export of .po and import of .mo files itself.

How you do this ?

Waiting your answer, I try to find .mo and .po fiels.

I get the first GetText in Squeak , but still need work.

So surfing web I found http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress and
download Poedit http://www.poedit.net/index.php

I try to get Spanish

Edgar

Re: Using Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1 Toma 2

Edgar De Cleene

> On 3/9/12 1:09 PM, "Bert Freudenberg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> However, the Squeak implementation does not use the gettext library, but
>> implements export of .po and import of .mo files itself.
>

> How you do this ?
>
> Waiting your answer, I try to find .mo and .po fiels.
>
> I get the first GetText in Squeak , but still need work.
>
> So surfing web I found http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress and
> download Poedit http://www.poedit.net/index.php
>
> I try to get Spanish
>
> Edgar

Forget this, I found my way and export

System.po
MorphicExtras.po
Files.po
Etoys.po
Collections.po
TrueType.po
Sugar.po
Protocols.po
Movies.po
Connectors.po
Compression.po
Tools.po
ST80.po
Sound.po
SMLoader.po
Morphic.po
Monticello.po
WS-Sound.po
VideoForSqueak.po
Pango.po
Network.po
Nebraska.po
Kernel.po
Graphics.po
Flash.po
Etoys-Tiles.po
BroomMorphs.po
GStreamer-UI.po
FSM.po
DrGeoII-Core.po
DAVServerDirectory.po

Cheers.

How we deliver (was Re: [squeak-dev] Using Etoys-To-Go-5.0-Beta-1 Toma 2)

Edgar De Cleene

Bert:

I have some cleaner GetText-edc.16

Put in in MCHttpRepository
    location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/Ladrillos'
    user: ''
    password: ''

This morning update to Squeak4.4-11920 and load without crash.
Four using all external folders, we should deliver with the .image.

So I ask for permission for put the .image and the folders into
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/ so people could download and we complete the
translations, test all

Edgar

12