Wonderland 3D support

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello all,

I am trying to revive an old game I did way back in Squeak 3.8; it is
based on Balloon3D and Wonderland. I have it running fine in Squeak 5.1
but it is very slow, because there is no 3D support anymore in the
current VM. Where can I find the appropriate plugins? These are the ones
needed for B3DPrimitiveEngine isAvailable to return true.

Re: Wonderland 3D support

Bert Freudenberg
On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 4:22 AM Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to revive an old game I did way back in Squeak 3.8; it is
based on Balloon3D and Wonderland. I have it running fine in Squeak 5.1
but it is very slow, because there is no 3D support anymore in the
current VM. Where can I find the appropriate plugins? These are the ones
needed for B3DPrimitiveEngine isAvailable to return true.

You need the Squeak3D plugin and B3DAcceleratorPlugin.

- Bert -

Re: Wonderland 3D support

Stéphane Rollandin
Le 23/10/2018 à 21:08, Bert Freudenberg a écrit :

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 4:22 AM Stéphane Rollandin
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     I am trying to revive an old game I did way back in Squeak 3.8; it is
>     based on Balloon3D and Wonderland. I have it running fine in Squeak 5.1
>     but it is very slow, because there is no 3D support anymore in the
>     current VM. Where can I find the appropriate plugins? These are the
>     ones
>     needed for B3DPrimitiveEngine isAvailable to return true.
>

> You need the Squeak3D plugin and B3DAcceleratorPlugin.

Yes, it is the Squeak3D plugin that I am looking for.

Any pointer?

Re: Wonderland 3D support

Stéphane Rollandin

>>      I am trying to revive an old game I did way back in Squeak 3.8; it is
>>      based on Balloon3D and Wonderland. I have it running fine in Squeak 5.1
>>      but it is very slow, because there is no 3D support anymore in the
>>      current VM. Where can I find the appropriate plugins? These are the
>>      ones
>>      needed for B3DPrimitiveEngine isAvailable to return true.
>>

>> You need the Squeak3D plugin and B3DAcceleratorPlugin.
>
> Yes, it is the Squeak3D plugin that I am looking for.
>
> Any pointer?
>
> Stef

I forgot to mention that I am on Windows, and looking for the compiled
plugin, as a dll. I know where the sources are but could not figure how
to get an actual usable plugin out of them...

Re: Wonderland 3D support

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 10:45:51PM +0200, St??phane Rollandin wrote:

> Le 23/10/2018 ?? 21:08, Bert Freudenberg a ??crit??:
> >On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 4:22 AM St??phane Rollandin
> ><[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >    Hello all,
> >
> >    I am trying to revive an old game I did way back in Squeak 3.8; it is
> >    based on Balloon3D and Wonderland. I have it running fine in Squeak 5.1
> >    but it is very slow, because there is no 3D support anymore in the
> >    current VM. Where can I find the appropriate plugins? These are the
> >    ones
> >    needed for B3DPrimitiveEngine isAvailable to return true.
> >

> >You need the Squeak3D plugin and B3DAcceleratorPlugin.
>
> Yes, it is the Squeak3D plugin that I am looking for.
>
> Any pointer?
>
> Stef

This does not directly answer your question, but for what it's worth
a 64-bit interpreter VM on Linux includes the plugin. I do not know
if it works correctly, but it certainly can be compiled:

lewis@lewis-Gazelle-Pro:/usr/local/lib/squeak/4.16.5-3765$ file *3D*
so.B3DAcceleratorPlugin: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=5f8e5a465e57ada5ddd21ff03d6346d413727394, not stripped
so.Squeak3D:             ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=1e0aaac558f5ded46aec16c2b0158c246536c7a1, not stripped

This means that the plugin should also be buildable on Cog/Spur.
I can't help with Windows VM builds, but I see no reason that it
would not work on 32-bit Windows, and possibly 64-bit windows also.

Maybe someone with a Windows build environment can confirm?

Dave

Re: Wonderland 3D support

Bruce O'Neel-2

Hi,

It seems to be there in the MacOS 64 bit cog build as well.

$ pwd

Squeak.app/Contents/Resources/Squeak3D.bundle/Contents/MacOS

$ ls -lh Squeak3D

-rwxr-xr-x  1 A B    70K 20 oct 10:16 Squeak3D

$ file Squeak3D

Squeak3D: Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

cheers

bruce