Workbook, exercises and problems

Ichiseki
I'm trying to find examples and problems, exercises to solve in Pharo but it seems that it is little in that department.
I come from Haskell, there we have 99 problems solved in Haskell and also, Project Euler.
Also Python, Ruby ....and other have this.
Is there a place where I can find more food?
Thankyou

Ichiro

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Ichiro,

On 25 Aug 2014, at 16:26, Ichiseki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to find examples and problems, exercises to solve in Pharo but it
> seems that it is little in that department.
> I come from Haskell, there we have 99 problems solved in Haskell and also,
> Project Euler.
> Also Python, Ruby ....and other have this.
> Is there a place where I can find more food?
> Thankyou
>
> Ichiro

One thing you could do is take one of those well know lists and go over them one by one and (try to) implement them - it would be a great exercise.

It would be even better if you wrote about it and shared the results with the rest of the community.

If you have questions, shoot.

Sven

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

Ichiseki
I would love to do that but:
I have neither a good understanding of smalltalk not pharo. I don't have a good OO style - I come from a Functional paradigm- I'm not used to variables

Of course I've been trying with some of them. But wanted to know it there was a way to check the answers. Not only if they are correct, also if they are in a good OO/Pharo/ST style.
thanks

Ichiro

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Start with Pharo by Example (PBE),

http://pharo.org/documentation

Teaching/learning design/style is plain hard and takes times.

On 25 Aug 2014, at 16:40, Ichiseki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would love to do that but:
> I have neither a good understanding of smalltalk not pharo. I don't have a
> good OO style - I come from a Functional paradigm- I'm not used to variables
>
> Of course I've been trying with some of them. But wanted to know it there
> was a way to check the answers. Not only if they are correct, also if they
> are in a good OO/Pharo/ST style.
> thanks
>
> Ichiro

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

Bernat Romagosa

I solved many exercices in Project Euler a couple years ago. I'll see if I still remember my username and let you know!

On Aug 25, 2014 5:48 PM, "Sven Van Caekenberghe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Start with Pharo by Example (PBE),

http://pharo.org/documentation

Teaching/learning design/style is plain hard and takes times.

On 25 Aug 2014, at 16:40, Ichiseki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would love to do that but:
> I have neither a good understanding of smalltalk not pharo. I don't have a
> good OO style - I come from a Functional paradigm- I'm not used to variables
>
> Of course I've been trying with some of them. But wanted to know it there
> was a way to check the answers. Not only if they are correct, also if they
> are in a good OO/Pharo/ST style.
> thanks
>
> Ichiro

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

Ichiseki
@Sebastian & Sven
I've already read and did PBE. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ichiro

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

kilon.alios
I am deeply in love with "Smalltalk Best Practice and Patterns" by Kent Beck. Its the best book I have read on programming , its clear, 100% practical, straight to the point without unnecessary theories , surprisingly small yet so large . I would recommend it to anyone not just introducing to Pharo , but any programming language out there , OO or not. Some of the concepts should also feel familiar for a functional programmer like you.

I have not used it only to learn OO but also as a source of inspiration for my projects since it actually a pandora box of cool ideas :)

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Ichiseki <[hidden email]> wrote:
@Sebastian & Sven
I've already read and did PBE. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ichiro

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

Ichiseki
@Kilon
Thanks for the link. I will take a look at it.
And BTW, thanks for your video tutorials
They are very helpful

Ichiro

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
That is indeed a very good book, a big step above a plain introduction.

But the best book is actually Andrés Valloud's "A mentoring course on Smalltalk" - I can guarantee you it will blow your mind ;-)

The cool thing about Pharo/Smalltalk is that once you get the basics (minimal syntax, new approach to development) out of the way, it is all about content after that.

On 25 Aug 2014, at 17:03, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am deeply in love with "Smalltalk Best Practice and Patterns" by Kent Beck. Its the best book I have read on programming , its clear, 100% practical, straight to the point without unnecessary theories , surprisingly small yet so large . I would recommend it to anyone not just introducing to Pharo , but any programming language out there , OO or not. Some of the concepts should also feel familiar for a functional programmer like you.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Smalltalk-Best-Practice-Patterns-Kent/dp/013476904X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408978923&sr=8-1&keywords=smalltalk+best+practice+patterns
>
> I have not used it only to learn OO but also as a source of inspiration for my projects since it actually a pandora box of cool ideas :)
>

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Ichiseki <[hidden email]> wrote:
> @Sebastian & Sven
> I've already read and did PBE. Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Ichiro

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

kilon.alios
"@Kilon
Thanks for the link. I will take a look at it.
And BTW, thanks for your video tutorials
They are very helpful

Ichiro"

Glad you find them helpful Ichiro, more are coming :)

"That is indeed a very good book, a big step above a plain introduction.

But the best book is actually Andrés Valloud's "A mentoring course on Smalltalk" - I can guarantee you it will blow your mind ;-)

The cool thing about Pharo/Smalltalk is that once you get the basics (minimal syntax, new approach to development) out of the way, it is all about content after that."

Thanks Sven added to my lists of things to buy , I love reading inspiring books of any kind :)

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

stepharo
Ignaciostarted to write the ST99 problems in the pfte
but he stopped after a couple of them.
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/745/artifact/

The problem with little problems is that sometimes you can write them in
a single method so there not really exciting.
Now if you want you can try to take the list and implement them. We will
comment them and help you.

Now if you do some little programs like the quinto game without ui, or
agile kata

     http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~zeroflag/TDD-Kata
     for example.

Stef

On 25/8/14 16:26, Ichiseki wrote:

> I'm trying to find examples and problems, exercises to solve in Pharo but it
> seems that it is little in that department.
> I come from Haskell, there we have 99 problems solved in Haskell and also,
> Project Euler.
> Also Python, Ruby ....and other have this.
> Is there a place where I can find more food?
> Thankyou
>
> Ichiro

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

nacho
Stef,

The project is not abandoned, it is still open to anyone.
I simply stopped because it was supposed to be a collaborative effort....and there was not even a single contribution beside you and me.
But I'm available to work again if there are contributions to add.
best reagards
Nacho

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Workbook, exercises and problems

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
the best book is actually Andrés Valloud's "A mentoring course on Smalltalk" - I can guarantee you it will blow your mind ;-)
+1. This book is too good to be written by a human. I think it was channeled from the programming gods :)
Cheers,
Sean