Working VM for OS X for Pharo 7

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

Where is it possible to get a working OS X VM for Pharo7 ?

Accoring to my test, the VM linked at http://pharo.org/download as error
with a libgit plugin (same for linux VM btw)

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Working VM for OS X for Pharo 7

alistairgrant
Hi Hilaire,

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 at 09:09, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Where is it possible to get a working OS X VM for Pharo7 ?
>
> Accoring to my test, the VM linked at http://pharo.org/download as error
> with a libgit plugin (same for linux VM btw)

I've been using both the stable and latest VMs on Ubuntu 16.04 without
libgit problems "forever" (I don't remember the last time I had
problem).

Can you provide the path to, and output of  "ldd libgit2.so"?

Which linux are you using?

Cheers,
Alistair

Re: Working VM for OS X for Pharo 7

HilaireFernandes
I downloaded again the 32bits linux VM, and I can't reproduce this error
with a stock P7 image.

Now I am still  wondering with os x vm because I tried two days ago on a
computer at school, and get this libgit plugin error, same error
mentionned as well by a Pharoer.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Working VM for OS X for Pharo 7

tesonep@gmail.com
Good morning,
 Last week I had a problem with a conflicting version of libgit installed by brew. In my case, brew had updated the version making it incompatible with the bindings in FFi.

Could you check the execution of:

DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES_POST_LAUNCH=1 ./pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo Pharo.image

So we can see the libgit that is loading. This can be fixed in the image side, I remember I fixed a bug in the lookup of libgit.

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019, 09:09 Hilaire <[hidden email] wrote:
Hi,

Where is it possible to get a working OS X VM for Pharo7 ?

Accoring to my test, the VM linked at http://pharo.org/download as error
with a libgit plugin (same for linux VM btw)

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Working VM for OS X for Pharo 7

HilaireFernandes
Hopefully I may have access to a mac tomorrow to test your request, or
it will be in 10 days.

On the other hand, is not libgit integrated in the VM, so I don't
understand how it can be related to system update? Or is libgit a
binding to a system git or something like that?

Thanks

PS: I did an update of my linux system a few days ago, so could it fix
the issue...

Hilaire

On Thu., 14 Feb. 2019, 10:07 Hilaire, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hopefully I may have access to a mac tomorrow to test your request, or
it will be in 10 days.

On the other hand, is not libgit integrated in the VM, so I don't
understand how it can be related to system update? Or is libgit a
binding to a system git or something like that?

On Linux it is almost always:

- A library isn't found because the search path is wrong, i.e. LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to be set, and/or
- there's a missing dependency.

The ldd command helps track these down by showing which dependencies are missing.

On Linux you need to be careful because the pharo script sets up LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so ldd may show something as missing which will be found when pharo is actually run, e.g libssh.

Cheers,
Alistair
(on phone)

Re: Working VM for OS X for Pharo 7

HilaireFernandes
I know what you are describing, for example cairo can be impacted.

My self questioning was: Does the VM rely on the host git library or is
the one shipped with the vm sufficient?

Best,

Hilaire

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 at 11:54, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know what you are describing, for example cairo can be impacted.
>
> My self questioning was: Does the VM rely on the host git library or is
> the one shipped with the vm sufficient?

I don't know the reasoning for including libgit2.  For libssh2 I
believe it was to ensure that certain options had been compiled in,
maybe this is the same?

Cheers,
Alistair