Working directory and image directory

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Guys,
As I already described here:
http://forum.world.st/Fuel-FLSerializer-tests-are-not-working-pharo-8-td5120052.html
there is something weird on Pharo 8 (on Mac) because I'm running an image
that is in the same directory of the Pharo.app but "FileLocator
workingDirectory" give me the root directory.

I expected the same directory where there is Pharo.app
Cheers
Davide

Re: Working directory and image directory

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi

Isn't it weird this behavior for the community? Should I open a bug?
Cheers
Davide

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list wrote

> Hi Guys,
> As I already described here:
> http://forum.world.st/Fuel-FLSerializer-tests-are-not-working-pharo-8-td5120052.html
> there is something weird on Pharo 8 (on Mac) because I'm running an image
> that is in the same directory of the Pharo.app but "FileLocator
> workingDirectory" give me the root directory.
>
> I expected the same directory where there is Pharo.app
> Cheers
> Davide

Re: Working directory and image directory

Russ Whaley
I find the same anomalies in V9 for MacOS for workingDirectory pointing to root.  I had to create a configuration system so I could effectively manage locations instead of using workingDirectory references.

Other anomalies... when attempting to type in a (super) class in class creation - each keystroke launches debugger... same when setting up iceberg/github - typing in a package/folder name launches debugger with each keystroke... annoying, but I can get through it.  Oh, this also seems to happen whenever I'm typing 'thisContext'.  This all seems related to the type-ahead facility.

Also a few observable issues with transmitTo: / sorting with Spec2 in V9... looks like when a column sorting issue was fixed it blew up transmitTo: ... -- sort - now sorts the pane but doesn't appropriately convey through the transmitTo: to the next pane - sometimes crashes, sometimes just doesn't display correct data... unusable, had to put this project on hold.  I've asked here before how to submit a bug report - but didn't get a response (my posts are probably too benign for the experts, lol).  If you know how to submit a bug report, I'd appreciate a (very) small primer or point me to a link.

Thanks!
Russ

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 6:29 AM Davide Varvello via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Isn't it weird this behavior for the community? Should I open a bug?
Cheers
Davide

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list wrote
> Hi Guys,
> As I already described here:
> http://forum.world.st/Fuel-FLSerializer-tests-are-not-working-pharo-8-td5120052.html
> there is something weird on Pharo 8 (on Mac) because I'm running an image
> that is in the same directory of the Pharo.app but "FileLocator
> workingDirectory" give me the root directory.
>
> I expected the same directory where there is Pharo.app
> Cheers
> Davide

Russ Whaley

Re: Working directory and image directory

Hi Davide

Can you open a bug entry on Pharo and on Fuel?

S.

From: Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Working directory and image directory
Date: 31 July 2020 at 11:37:22 CEST

Hi

Isn't it weird this behavior for the community? Should I open a bug?
Cheers
Davide

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list wrote
Hi Guys,
As I already described here:
http://forum.world.st/Fuel-FLSerializer-tests-are-not-working-pharo-8-td5120052.html
there is something weird on Pharo 8 (on Mac) because I'm running an image
that is in the same directory of the Pharo.app but "FileLocator
workingDirectory" give me the root directory.

I expected the same directory where there is Pharo.app
Cheers
Davide

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Working directory and image directory

tbrunz
Hi Russ,

Here's how to submit a bug report.  Fortunately, GitHub makes it easy and
straightforward.

Surf to https://github.com/pharo-project and find the particular project
that's affected.  I think in your case, you want "pharo":
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo

Underneath "pharo-project/pharo" you'll see 7 links in a toolbar.  Click on
"Issues", which brings you here:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues

On the right is a big green button, "New issue".  Click that to get a bug
entry form.  You have a bug, so click the "Get started" button for "Bug
report".

Choose a good title, nicely worded, to be nice to the devs so they can get a
good idea from just a glance.  Short & sweet.  (They prefer 50 characters or
less, because your title becomes an email "Subject:" line.)

There's a template bug report that tells you what they need from you.  You
can edit it or replace it with your bug report.  Markdown is supported (and
can help with readability).  A "cheat sheet" is here:
https://guides.github.com/pdfs/markdown-cheatsheet-online.pdf and a more
detailed explanation is here:
https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/

The toolbar above the text area will apply the most-commonly-used markdown
for you, with just a button click.  Select text, click the associated
button.

You can click the "Preview" button to see how your markdown will be rendered
in the submitted report; click on "Write" to return to the editable version
you started with.

Note that you can attached code, files, images, etc. to help explain.  Just
drag files into the text area of your report and they'll automagically be
attached for you.  Similarly, you can click where it says, "Attach files by
dragging & dropping, selecting or pasting them" and it will open a file
browser for you to point-and-click.

When you're done, click "Submit new issue".  That it!

-t

Re: Working directory and image directory

tbrunz
Russ,

Here's a link; I created a GitHub gist in your honor:

https://gist.github.com/tbrunz/4209026fabc44c5baf0a502f677b708c

Please provide comments, improvements, corrections, or anything that will
make it clearer for others who are in the same boat.

Thanks!
-Ted

Re: Working directory and image directory

Russ Whaley
Ted,
Thank you very much for these detailed instructions! I have copied them out for future use.  I can see I'm going to very much enjoy your tutorials :)

I hope to have time today to submit a couple issues I've run across.  Did I see you submitted the workingDirectory/root bug?

Thanks,
Russ

Russ Whaley

Re: Working directory and image directory

tbrunz
Hi Russ,

No, I haven't submitted it.  I figured it would be good practice for you to
do so!

-Ted

Re: Working directory and image directory

tbrunz

Re: Working directory and image directory

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Fine Stéphane, I opened two entries:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/7039

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/7040

Cheers
Davide

Stéphane Ducasse wrote
> Hi Davide
>
> Can you open a bug entry on Pharo and on Fuel?
>
> S.
>
>> On 31 Jul 2020, at 11:37, Davide Varvello &lt;

> varvello@

> &gt; wrote:
>>

>> From: Davide Varvello &lt;

> varvello@

> &gt;
>> Subject: Re: Working directory and image directory
>> Date: 31 July 2020 at 11:37:22 CEST

> pharo-users@.pharo

>> Hi
>>
>> Isn't it weird this behavior for the community? Should I open a bug?
>> Cheers
>> Davide
>>

>> Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list wrote
>>> Hi Guys,
>>> As I already described here:
>>> http://forum.world.st/Fuel-FLSerializer-tests-are-not-working-pharo-8-td5120052.html
>>> there is something weird on Pharo 8 (on Mac) because I'm running an
>>> image
>>> that is in the same directory of the Pharo.app but "FileLocator
>>> workingDirectory" give me the root directory.
>>>
>>> I expected the same directory where there is Pharo.app
>>> Cheers
>>> Davide
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

> Stéphane Ducasse
> http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr / http://www.pharo.org
> 03 59 35 87 52
> Assistant: Aurore Dalle
> FAX 03 59 57 78 50
> TEL 03 59 35 86 16
> S. Ducasse - Inria
> 40, avenue Halley,
> Parc Scientifique de la Haute Borne, Bât.A, Park Plaza
> Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
> France

Re: Working directory and image directory

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks a lot!

On 3 Aug 2020, at 15:39, Davide Varvello <[hidden email]> wrote:

From:
Davide Varvello <[hidden email]>

From: Davide Varvello &lt;

varvello@