Working on Pharo 1.2

12

Working on Pharo 1.2

jgfoster
All,

I'm having trouble finding 1.2.

http://pharo-project.org/home contains the following: 'If you want to use all the new features and improvements that have been added to Pharo lately, and you don't mind living on the bleeding edge, download the current Pharo 1.2.' Clicking on the 'download' link takes me to http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download, but I can't find any place to download 1.2.

I've tried enabling the update menu in a 1.1 image, but there seem to be no updates.

I've briefly searched the archives for a thread on 'How to contribute to 1.2' but haven't found anything.

I've been to http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoInbox.html, but don't see any instructions beyond 'just publish it here.'

I've been to http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Pharo/, and see that there is a build of 1.1 on July 17, and another build on July 20, but that seems to be not exactly current, and does not describe itself as 1.2.

Where do I go to get the current (unstable) 1.2 build? What do I need to do to contribute (beyond adding to the PharoInbox)? Send mail?

James

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Carla F. Griggio
Hi!
I've downloaded a Pharo 1.2 core image yesterday from https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299 (it's the link that says 'file server' in the pharo-download page).

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Henrik Sperre Johansen
  On 12.08.2010 18:23, James Foster wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm having trouble finding 1.2.
>
> http://pharo-project.org/home contains the following: 'If you want to use all the new features and improvements that have been added to Pharo lately, and you don't mind living on the bleeding edge, download the current Pharo 1.2.' Clicking on the 'download' link takes me to http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download, but I can't find any place to download 1.2.
There's a link at the bottom of the Download page, called "PharoCore
images and other files", leading to the inria group, search 1.2 and you
should find it. IIRC, it was impossible to reorder the groups, so it's
quite far down.
> I've tried enabling the update menu in a 1.1 image, but there seem to be no updates.
Updates are only for each Pharo1.X version, none have been released for
1.0 or 1.1 as no issues have been considered critical enough.
> I've briefly searched the archives for a thread on 'How to contribute to 1.2' but haven't found anything.
>
> I've been to http://www.squeaksource.com/PharoInbox.html, but don't see any instructions beyond 'just publish it here.'

 From the community page, there is a link called "Pharo Google code
project". On the google code page, "How to contribute" is listed as a
Featured wiki page in the right column.
> Where do I go to get the current (unstable) 1.2 build? What do I need to do to contribute (beyond adding to the PharoInbox)? Send mail?
In addition to posting a SLICE (ie collection of modified monticello
packages, with commit comment describing what it adresses)to the inbox,
you'd need to create an issue on the google code tracker. Posting to
this list that an issue is ready to be reviewed/integrated certainly
does not hurt either. (especially if you can't change status to Fixed
yourself)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
This question keeps coming up.  Instead of removing the update menu item from dev, why don't we keep it and override it to pop up a dialog with the explanation that 1.2 will not be updated and the bleeding edge can be downloaded at [URL]?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Stéphane Ducasse
send the code :)

On Aug 14, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> This question keeps coming up.  Instead of removing the update menu item from
> dev, why don't we keep it and override it to pop up a dialog with the
> explanation that 1.2 will not be updated and the bleeding edge can be
> downloaded at [URL]?
>
> Sean

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
send the code :)
What is the status of the unique link to stable and trunk discussed at http://forum.world.st/is-there-an-unique-URL-to-the-latest-pharo-core-or-dev-release-td2317894.html#a2317894 ?  Having a static url would prevent having to constantly update the URL referenced in the "find trunk here" message.  I created an issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2805

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Adrian Lienhard
We are working on it... or rather, we are discussing how to do it. It's not forgotten.

Adrian

On Aug 15, 2010, at 14:42 , Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> send the code :)
>>

> What is the status of the unique link to stable and trunk discussed at
> http://forum.world.st/is-there-an-unique-URL-to-the-latest-pharo-core-or-dev-release-td2317894.html#a2317894
> ?  Having a static url would prevent having to constantly update the URL
> referenced in the "find trunk here" message.  I created an issue:
>
> Sean

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Changed world menu to show menu item in stable release images and show a dialog explaining where to get the bleeding edge.  Behavior in trunk images is unchanged.

Issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2810
Fix in PharoInbox: SLICE-Issue-2810-StableReleasesExplainUpdating-SeanDeNigris.1

Sean

p.s. I wanted to have WorldState class>>isBleedingEdgeImage be SmalltalkImage>>isBleedingEdge - would that have been okay/better?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Igor Stasenko
I think that the scope of this issue can be extended.
I have a tons of different images in different directories lying
everywhere on my box, and its really easy to get lost
in it, especially, when you don't touching some things couple of months.

So, it would be cool to get somehow a comprehensive info about image
from image itself.
The image could contain some meta-information, which can be shown to
user by request, including:

- release info:
  - version, date, author , branch
- changes info:
  - delta packages, delta changesets & their authour(s) , all relative
to release info
- and , of course, an easy way to update an image from public sources.

I want it to be easy to see, if given image contains some userful
pieces of code (of mine),
or it was just a cleanly released image, just downloaded to test & play with.

On 16 August 2010 06:34, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Changed world menu to show menu item in stable release images and show a
> dialog explaining where to get the bleeding edge.  Behavior in trunk images
> is unchanged.
>
> Issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2810
> Fix in PharoInbox:
> SLICE-Issue-2810-StableReleasesExplainUpdating-SeanDeNigris.1
>
> Sean
>
> p.s. I wanted to have WorldState class>>isBleedingEdgeImage be
> SmalltalkImage>>isBleedingEdge - would that have been okay/better?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

On Aug 16, 2010, at 5:34 AM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Changed world menu to show menu item in stable release images and show a
> dialog explaining where to get the bleeding edge.  Behavior in trunk images
> is unchanged.
>
> Issue: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2810
> Fix in PharoInbox:
> SLICE-Issue-2810-StableReleasesExplainUpdating-SeanDeNigris.1
>
> Sean
>
> p.s. I wanted to have WorldState class>>isBleedingEdgeImage be
> SmalltalkImage>>isBleedingEdge - would that have been okay/better?

Yes. I think that this is better to put it in SmalltalkImage.

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Marcus Denker-4

On Aug 12, 2010, at 6:23 PM, James Foster wrote:

> I've been to http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Pharo/, and see that there is a build of 1.1 on July 17, and another build on July 20, but that seems to be not exactly current, and does not describe itself as 1.2.

Lukas' builds are not the official ones... we will set up a dedecated Hudson, but mostly this is on hold because whole france is on holidays
and I can't progress with any server issues without the admins.

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299, at the end under PharoCore1.2. Download the latest, then load updates.

> What do I need to do to contribute (beyond adding to the PharoInbox)? Send mail?

The bug tracker is the central thing.

        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list

add an issue there. Add either a changeset (for the old style smalltalker) or commit a Slice to the inbox and put the name of the slice there.

Yes, all that is not yet perfect. But we are improving, slowly, stadily and unstoppable....

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Lukas Renggli
>> I've been to http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Pharo/, and see that there is a build of 1.1 on July 17, and another build on July 20, but that seems to be not exactly current, and does not describe itself as 1.2.
>>

> Lukas' builds are not the official ones... we will set up a dedecated Hudson, but mostly this is on hold because whole france is on holidays
> and I can't progress with any server issues without the admins.

The official Seaside One-Click images are not based on my builds
anymore, but on the Pharo dev-images. That's why there are other
problems :-)

Lukas

>> Where do I go to get the current (unstable) 1.2 build?
>

> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/?group_id=1299, at the end under PharoCore1.2. Download the latest, then load updates.
>
>> What do I need to do to contribute (beyond adding to the PharoInbox)? Send mail?
>>

> The bug tracker is the central thing.
>
>        http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list
>
> add an issue there. Add either a changeset (for the old style smalltalker) or commit a Slice to the inbox and put the name of the slice there.
>

> Yes, all that is not yet perfect. But we are improving, slowly, stadily and unstoppable....
>
>        Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Stéphane Ducasse
Excellent!
Like that we will have less problems I hope :)

>>> I've been to http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Pharo/, and see that there is a build of 1.1 on July 17, and another build on July 20, but that seems to be not exactly current, and does not describe itself as 1.2.
>>>

>> Lukas' builds are not the official ones... we will set up a dedecated Hudson, but mostly this is on hold because whole france is on holidays
>> and I can't progress with any server issues without the admins.
>
> The official Seaside One-Click images are not based on my builds
> anymore, but on the Pharo dev-images. That's why there are other
> problems :-)
>
> Lukas

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Lukas Renggli
On 16 August 2010 12:03, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Excellent!
> Like that we will have less problems I hope :)

The problem is that "nobody" is testing them anymore, I use the builds
from my server. They are smaller, faster and have the right tools and
settings installed :-)

Lukas

>>> Lukas' builds are not the official ones... we will set up a dedecated Hudson, but mostly this is on hold because whole france is on holidays
>>> and I can't progress with any server issues without the admins.
>>
>> The official Seaside One-Click images are not based on my builds
>> anymore, but on the Pharo dev-images. That's why there are other
>> problems :-)
>>
>> Lukas

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Marcus Denker-4

On Aug 16, 2010, at 12:03 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Excellent!
> Like that we will have less problems I hope :)

Especially when having the test/build infrastructure finished... it's amazing how that changes the game.

>>> Lukas' builds are not the official ones... we will set up a dedecated Hudson, but mostly this is on hold because whole france is on holidays
>>> and I can't progress with any server issues without the admins.
>>
>> The official Seaside One-Click images are not based on my builds
>> anymore, but on the Pharo dev-images. That's why there are other
>> problems :-)
>>
>> Lukas

Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
Yes. I think that this is better to put it in SmalltalkImage.
Done, new version uploaded to inbox.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Adrian Lienhard
Just as a test, I created the following page that redirects to a Pharo download zip.

http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable

It redirects with a HTTP 302 response. Does that work for the scripts in use? We would like to keep the files on the existing server and serve them from there.

Adrian

On Aug 15, 2010, at 16:35 , Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> We are working on it... or rather, we are discussing how to do it. It's not forgotten.
>
> Adrian
>
> On Aug 15, 2010, at 14:42 , Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>

>> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>>
>>> send the code :)
>>>

>> What is the status of the unique link to stable and trunk discussed at
>> http://forum.world.st/is-there-an-unique-URL-to-the-latest-pharo-core-or-dev-release-td2317894.html#a2317894
>> ?  Having a static url would prevent having to constantly update the URL
>> referenced in the "find trunk here" message.  I created an issue:
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2805
>>
>> Sean

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Lukas Renggli
That's excellent, but is Pharo 1.2 already stable?

On 16 August 2010 21:51, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just as a test, I created the following page that redirects to a Pharo download zip.
>
> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable
>
> It redirects with a HTTP 302 response. Does that work for the scripts in use? We would like to keep the files on the existing server and serve them from there.
>
> Adrian
>

> On Aug 15, 2010, at 16:35 , Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> We are working on it... or rather, we are discussing how to do it. It's not forgotten.
>>
>> Adrian

>>> What is the status of the unique link to stable and trunk discussed at
>>> http://forum.world.st/is-there-an-unique-URL-to-the-latest-pharo-core-or-dev-release-td2317894.html#a2317894
>>> ?  Having a static url would prevent having to constantly update the URL
>>> referenced in the "find trunk here" message.  I created an issue:
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2805
>>>
>>> Sean
>>> --

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Adrian Lienhard

On Aug 16, 2010, at 21:53 , Lukas Renggli wrote:

> That's excellent, but is Pharo 1.2 already stable?

No, its not stable. I just picked a random link to allow people to test this setup. Sorry for the confusion...

Adrian

> On 16 August 2010 21:51, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Just as a test, I created the following page that redirects to a Pharo download zip.
>>
>> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable
>>
>> It redirects with a HTTP 302 response. Does that work for the scripts in use? We would like to keep the files on the existing server and serve them from there.
>>
>> Adrian
>>

>> On Aug 15, 2010, at 16:35 , Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>>> We are working on it... or rather, we are discussing how to do it. It's not forgotten.
>>>
>>> Adrian

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Working on Pharo 1.2

Stéphane Ducasse
so it worked for me :)

Stef

On Aug 16, 2010, at 10:14 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2010, at 21:53 , Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
>> That's excellent, but is Pharo 1.2 already stable?
>
> No, its not stable. I just picked a random link to allow people to test this setup. Sorry for the confusion...
>
> Adrian
>

>> On 16 August 2010 21:51, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Just as a test, I created the following page that redirects to a Pharo download zip.
>>>
>>> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download/stable
>>>
>>> It redirects with a HTTP 302 response. Does that work for the scripts in use? We would like to keep the files on the existing server and serve them from there.
>>>
>>> Adrian

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch