classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Working with critiques in Calypso

Uko2
Hi everyone,

this question is mainly for Denis, but others may be also interested to participate.

So I’d really like to switch to Calypso, but I use Nautilus to eat my own dog food (the critiques). Calypso already adds critiques for methods, but it misses the ones for classes and packages. The point is that you can use

anObject annotateRubricText: textModel.

And anObject can be anything: a method, or a class, or a package (or theoretically any other object object). I’ve tried to expand highlighting to classes and methods in Nautilus, but it looks like a complete hell. In Calypso it’s much better, but maybe from the experience of the main developer, the styling can be pulled up somewhere higher in the hierarchy.

Now it turns out that the bottom plugin is actually useful, as you can get the idea about the issue without having to power or do some other actions. Will it be possible to have some king of a plugin like that in Calypso. And simultaneously is it possible to have a changeable height? Because usually you don’t have more than 1-2 critiques, and often you don’t have any, so it does not make any sense to occupy so much space with an empty list. (sadly in Nautilus I cannot shrink the plugin dynamically).

Cheers.
Uko
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Working with critiques in Calypso

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Yuriy.

It is nice initiative. Unfortunately I am a bit delayed with documenting. 
I made experiments with remote Calypso which start to work in one hour. And it is moved me for a week to realize this generally with PharmIDE.
But at the end it also improved editors part of Calypso.

2017-01-30 11:21 GMT+01:00 Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]>:
Hi everyone,

this question is mainly for Denis, but others may be also interested to participate.

So I’d really like to switch to Calypso, but I use Nautilus to eat my own dog food (the critiques). Calypso already adds critiques for methods, but it misses the ones for classes and packages. The point is that you can use

anObject annotateRubricText: textModel.

And anObject can be anything: a method, or a class, or a package (or theoretically any other object object). I’ve tried to expand highlighting to classes and methods in Nautilus, but it looks like a complete hell. In Calypso it’s much better, but maybe from the experience of the main developer, the styling can be pulled up somewhere higher in the hierarchy.

Now it turns out that the bottom plugin is actually useful, as you can get the idea about the issue without having to power or do some other actions. Will it be possible to have some king of a plugin like that in Calypso. And simultaneously is it possible to have a changeable height? Because usually you don’t have more than 1-2 critiques, and often you don’t have any, so it does not make any sense to occupy so much space with an empty list. (sadly in Nautilus I cannot shrink the plugin dynamically).

Yes to all questions but it needs to be implemented.
And you force me to prepare it a bit. I already was going to extract #annotateRubricText: to separate plugin because it was problem for minimal image browsing.
So try to load dev version:

Gofer it 
smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Calypso';
configuration;
loadDevelopment .

You will see new Calypso-Plugins-Critic-Browser package. I add decorators support to TextEditorTool. And critic plugin just adds CriticDecorator into required tools. 
Sadly it is not working. Critiques are not shown somehow. 
I leave it for you to fix it. Probably reason is that full tool morph is prepared in background. So critiques are added when morph is not in World. 
I hope you can find solution.

About empty list: I create QANautilusPluginMorph with #shrinkWrap layout. But internal submorphs do not allow hide it completely. 
So it is also for you. Have fun :)

Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov

2017-01-30 15:29 GMT+01:00 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:

Yes to all questions but it needs to be implemented.
And you force me to prepare it a bit. I already was going to extract #annotateRubricText: to separate plugin because it was problem for minimal image browsing.

Also it is slow down remote browser. Would nice to think how to compute critiques on remote image in fast way
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov
In reply to this post by Denis Kudriashov

You will see new Calypso-Plugins-Critic-Browser package. I add decorators support to TextEditorTool. And critic plugin just adds CriticDecorator into required tools. 
I leave it for you to fix it. Probably reason is that full tool morph is prepared in background. So critiques are added when morph is not in World. 

And to get working critiques disable background tabs:

ClyBrowserTabTool>>addInto: aBrowser
containerTab := TabMorph
label: self defaultTitle
icon: self defaultIcon
morph: self.
self build.
containerTab when: #tabDeleted send: #tabDeleted to: self.
containerTab model: self.
aBrowser addTab: containerTab

So question why it is not working when morph is built from background process?
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov
And here screenshots of Calypso with critiques:

2017-01-31 9:52 GMT+01:00 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:

self build.

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharong
super cool

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:56:08 +0100, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

And here screenshots of Calypso with critiques:

self build.

--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis Kudriashov
In reply to this post by Denis Kudriashov
I commit new stable version.
Now browser plugins can decorate any tool (which can be created by other plugins). 

I found that annotating text by class or package takes too long time. So I disable it. Look at implementors of #annotateTextWithCritiquesOf: to enable it and to see the problem.
QA plugin morph still not works when it is built in background. (it hangs on "updating critiquies")

self build.

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2
Hey Denis, this is super cool! I will take a look at that and try to improve. (Sorry, the end of my PhD is approaching, so I don’t have much time to work on other stuff :) )

Uko

On 13 Feb 2017, at 16:04, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Now browser plugins can decorate any tool (which can be created by other plugins). 

I found that annotating text by class or package takes too long time. So I disable it. Look at implementors of #annotateTextWithCritiquesOf: to enable it and to see the problem.
QA plugin morph still not works when it is built in background. (it hangs on "updating critiquies")

self build.

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
Indeed this is a very nice system browser Denis, well done , quite and improvement from Nautilus

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:56 PM Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Denis, this is super cool! I will take a look at that and try to improve. (Sorry, the end of my PhD is approaching, so I don’t have much time to work on other stuff :) )

Uko

On 13 Feb 2017, at 16:04, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

self build.