Workspace with reliable save feature

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Workspace with reliable save feature

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

Do we have an external workspace with a deterministic save feature.
I looked at the catalog but found none,

Both Workspace and Playground fall short.

Workspace save file with 0 byte of content!

Playground, with my experience with student, is absolutely not reliable to
save script, its auto-save feature always results in lost of code.
Particularly when combined with its rename and its inexplicit save
behaviour. It is not practical to edit script and save code.

I will start a second round of coding with students (12-14 yrs old) and I
need them to save their code. The only viable option I see is to ask them to
copy and to past their code in an external editor ! It will be a mess for
sure and waste of time and energy.

Any alternative  idea or option I failed to see ?

Hilaire



-----
http://drgeo.eu
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Workspace with reliable save feature

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Hilaire,

ScriptManager and QuickAccess come to mind.

I guess ScriptManager would need some love and a port to Spec2. But I guess QuickAccess
could be easily used. It also has Spotter integration and you can import / export your script actions.

Project including video is on https://github.com/astares/Pharo-QuickAccess

Should be available in Catalog too

Thx
Torsten

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 22. Januar 2020 um 23:04 Uhr
> Von: "HilaireFernandes" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: [Pharo-users] Workspace with reliable save feature
>
> Hi,
>
> Do we have an external workspace with a deterministic save feature.
> I looked at the catalog but found none,
>
> Both Workspace and Playground fall short.
>
> Workspace save file with 0 byte of content!
>
> Playground, with my experience with student, is absolutely not reliable to
> save script, its auto-save feature always results in lost of code.
> Particularly when combined with its rename and its inexplicit save
> behaviour. It is not practical to edit script and save code.
>
> I will start a second round of coding with students (12-14 yrs old) and I
> need them to save their code. The only viable option I see is to ask them to
> copy and to past their code in an external editor ! It will be a mess for
> sure and waste of time and energy.
>
> Any alternative  idea or option I failed to see ?
>
> Hilaire
>
>
>
> -----
> http://drgeo.eu
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Workspace with reliable save feature

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi,

Also you can use Grafoscopio[1], to save longer nested scripts and
combining them with longer prose. It also needs some love and to be
ported to Spec2. I will start with testing it on Pharo 8 and slowly port
it to Spec2. Any help is welcomed :-).

[1] https://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/en.html

Cheers,

Offray

On 23/01/20 6:19 a. m., Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Hi Hilaire,
>
> ScriptManager and QuickAccess come to mind.
>
> I guess ScriptManager would need some love and a port to Spec2. But I guess QuickAccess
> could be easily used. It also has Spotter integration and you can import / export your script actions.
>
> Project including video is on https://github.com/astares/Pharo-QuickAccess
>
> Should be available in Catalog too
>
> Thx
> Torsten
>
>> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 22. Januar 2020 um 23:04 Uhr
>> Von: "HilaireFernandes" <[hidden email]>
>> An: [hidden email]
>> Betreff: [Pharo-users] Workspace with reliable save feature
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do we have an external workspace with a deterministic save feature.
>> I looked at the catalog but found none,
>>
>> Both Workspace and Playground fall short.
>>
>> Workspace save file with 0 byte of content!
>>
>> Playground, with my experience with student, is absolutely not reliable to
>> save script, its auto-save feature always results in lost of code.
>> Particularly when combined with its rename and its inexplicit save
>> behaviour. It is not practical to edit script and save code.
>>
>> I will start a second round of coding with students (12-14 yrs old) and I
>> need them to save their code. The only viable option I see is to ask them to
>> copy and to past their code in an external editor ! It will be a mess for
>> sure and waste of time and energy.
>>
>> Any alternative  idea or option I failed to see ?
>>
>> Hilaire
>>
>>
>>
>> -----
>> http://drgeo.eu
>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>
>>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Workspace with reliable save feature

Trygve Reenskaug
In reply to this post by HilaireFernandes



Hi,
I do have a workspace I call PersistentWorkspace. I use it as a sticky note, see the above example.  Easy to create, easy to store.

Its file name is <window name>.ws (e.g., 'BB1IDE appname.ws').
A new instance is opened from the WorldMenu.
An existing instance is opened from a file list.
Its object structure is very simple as can be seen in the attached object structure snapshot. 
Its code is in the attached .st-file.

There is an serious downside: The program works in  'Squeak3.10.2'.
I know there are unused methods. I'm sure there are some bugs.
 It works for me and I often use it.
It may or may not be easy to port it to Pharo.

Enjoy
--Trygve

On 22.01.2020 23:04, HilaireFernandes wrote:
Hi, 

Do we have an external workspace with a deterministic save feature.
I looked at the catalog but found none,

Both Workspace and Playground fall short.

Workspace save file with 0 byte of content!

Playground, with my experience with student, is absolutely not reliable to
save script, its auto-save feature always results in lost of code.
Particularly when combined with its rename and its inexplicit save
behaviour. It is not practical to edit script and save code.

I will start a second round of coding with students (12-14 yrs old) and I
need them to save their code. The only viable option I see is to ask them to
copy and to past their code in an external editor ! It will be a mess for
sure and waste of time and energy. 

Any alternative  idea or option I failed to see ?

Hilaire



-----
http://drgeo.eu
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html


--

The essence of object orientation is that objects collaborate  to achieve a goal.
Trygve Reenskaug      
[hidden email]
Morgedalsvn. 5A       
http://folk.uio.no/trygver/
N-0378 Oslo             
http://fullOO.info
Norway                     Tel: (+47) 468 58 625


SRE context browser[1746][2504]a SystemWindow PersistentWorkspace.1.gif (14K) Download Attachment
PersistentWorkspace.st (14K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Workspace with reliable save feature

HilaireFernandes
Torsten, Offray, Trygve,

Thanks for your suggestions for long term thinking.

In the meantime I need a workable solution for the coming weeks, I found the
safer is to instruct the students how to operate with Playground to not lost
their scripts.  

We design our teaching unit around one example and practical cases. The
example part contains a Pharo script and the resulting DrGeo sketch. The
practical case contains several DrGeo sketches and the students must write
the Pharo scripts. They extrapolate from the script in the example.

Therefore the work is incremental and before modifying any script they must
rename the Page in the Playground. Some script will be reused in later
units. I am pretty sure some, if not the majority, will forget to follow
this protocol.

Anyway we will see.

Hilaire

Example of the first unit:
<http://forum.world.st/file/t369533/Triangle1.png>
<http://forum.world.st/file/t369533/Triangle2.png>




-----
http://drgeo.eu
--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Workspace with reliable save feature

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi Hilaire,

We use kind of a similar approach for our community workshops.
Participants organize their scripts in a Grafoscopio node and they save
future/improved versions there as new nodes or overwriting old ones. I
don't see this as a long term solution, but kind of practical in
practice based educational settings, formal or informal.

Cheers,

Offray

On 26/01/20 4:50 a. m., HilaireFernandes wrote:

> Torsten, Offray, Trygve,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions for long term thinking.
>
> In the meantime I need a workable solution for the coming weeks, I found the
> safer is to instruct the students how to operate with Playground to not lost
> their scripts.  
>
> We design our teaching unit around one example and practical cases. The
> example part contains a Pharo script and the resulting DrGeo sketch. The
> practical case contains several DrGeo sketches and the students must write
> the Pharo scripts. They extrapolate from the script in the example.
>
> Therefore the work is incremental and before modifying any script they must
> rename the Page in the Playground. Some script will be reused in later
> units. I am pretty sure some, if not the majority, will forget to follow
> this protocol.
>
> Anyway we will see.
>
> Hilaire
>
> Example of the first unit:
> <http://forum.world.st/file/t369533/Triangle1.png>
> <http://forum.world.st/file/t369533/Triangle2.png>
>
>
>
>
> -----
> http://drgeo.eu
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>