World Graphics and Halos

12

World Graphics and Halos

Rob Rothwell
Hi all,

Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of the "Pharo" graphic.

The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you click somewhere else on the screen.

Then, if you turn halos on and try to remove the graphic (or any morph for that matter) you get a DNU...

Just wondering if anyone can confirm before a file an issue; also wondering if this is one or two issues?

Take care,

Rob

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Stéphane Ducasse
dear rob

can you open a bug tracker entry?
two entries :)
Stef

On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of
> the "Pharo" graphic.
>
> The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you
> click somewhere else on the screen.
>
> Then, if you turn halos on and try to remove the graphic (or any
> morph for that matter) you get a DNU...
>
> Just wondering if anyone can confirm before a file an issue; also
> wondering if this is one or two issues?
>
> Take care,
>
> Rob

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Rob Rothwell
Done.

Issues 655 and 666.

Take care,

Rob

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
dear rob

can you open a bug tracker entry?
two entries :)
Stef

On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of
> the "Pharo" graphic.
>
> The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you
> click somewhere else on the screen.
>
> Then, if you turn halos on and try to remove the graphic (or any
> morph for that matter) you get a DNU...
>
> Just wondering if anyone can confirm before a file an issue; also
> wondering if this is one or two issues?
>
> Take care,
>
> Rob

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Attached a .cs to the issue with a fix, also including the solution Gary suggested for the taskbar-issue that was reported.
(I don't know how to remove methods in .cs files, and haven't yet gotten around to learn how to make slices, so BorderedMorph>>areasRemainingToFill: would have to be removed by hand..)

Cheers,
Henry

On 14.03.2009 22:04, Rob Rothwell wrote:
Done.

Issues 655

On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of
> the "Pharo" graphic.
>
> The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you
> click somewhere else on the screen.

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Rob Rothwell
Yep...that seemed to fix it!

Now if I could just figure out how to remove a Morph from the World without Halos!

If I do System->About it is so big now that it won't all fit on my screen, so I can't reach the ok button to close it and I am stuck with it!

Rob

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Attached a .cs to the issue with a fix, also including the solution Gary suggested for the taskbar-issue that was reported.
(I don't know how to remove methods in .cs files, and haven't yet gotten around to learn how to make slices, so BorderedMorph>>areasRemainingToFill: would have to be removed by hand..)

Cheers,
Henry

On 14.03.2009 22:04, Rob Rothwell wrote:
Done.

Issues 655

On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of
> the "Pharo" graphic.
>
> The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you
> click somewhere else on the screen.

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Schwab,Wilhelm K

Rob,

You might find that giving focus to the window and pressing either the space bar or enter will close it.  I would _hope_ hat would work at least.

Bill

Now if I could just figure out how to remove a Morph from the World without Halos!

If I do System->About it is so big now that it won't all fit on my screen, so I can't reach the ok button to close it and I am stuck with it!

Rob

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Attached a .cs to the issue with a fix, also including the solution Gary suggested for the taskbar-issue that was reported.
(I don't know how to remove methods in .cs files, and haven't yet gotten around to learn how to make slices, so BorderedMorph>>areasRemainingToFill: would have to be removed by hand..)

Cheers,
Henry

On 14.03.2009 22:04, Rob Rothwell wrote:

Done.

Issues 655

On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of
> the "Pharo" graphic.
>
> The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you
> click somewhere else on the screen.

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Rob Rothwell
Good one!

Thanks...sometimes the simple things are easy to forget...

Rob

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rob,

You might find that giving focus to the window and pressing either the space bar or enter will close it.  I would _hope_ hat would work at least.

Bill

Now if I could just figure out how to remove a Morph from the World without Halos!

If I do System->About it is so big now that it won't all fit on my screen, so I can't reach the ok button to close it and I am stuck with it!

Rob

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Attached a .cs to the issue with a fix, also including the solution Gary suggested for the taskbar-issue that was reported.
(I don't know how to remove methods in .cs files, and haven't yet gotten around to learn how to make slices, so BorderedMorph>>areasRemainingToFill: would have to be removed by hand..)

Cheers,
Henry

On 14.03.2009 22:04, Rob Rothwell wrote:

Done.

Issues 655

On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of
> the "Pharo" graphic.
>
> The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you
> click somewhere else on the screen.

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Gary Chambers-4
I noticed the halo problem in the dev image too. Resetting the halo specs is needed since one has been removed...

Regards, Gary
Now if I could just figure out how to remove a Morph from the World without Halos!

If I do System->About it is so big now that it won't all fit on my screen, so I can't reach the ok button to close it and I am stuck with it!

Rob

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Attached a .cs to the issue with a fix, also including the solution Gary suggested for the taskbar-issue that was reported.
(I don't know how to remove methods in .cs files, and haven't yet gotten around to learn how to make slices, so BorderedMorph>>areasRemainingToFill: would have to be removed by hand..)

Cheers,
Henry

On 14.03.2009 22:04, Rob Rothwell wrote:
Done.

Issues 655

On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of
> the "Pharo" graphic.
>
> The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you
> click somewhere else on the screen.

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Schwab,Wilhelm K

Rob,

Sounds like that worked – I yield all credit to Pinesoft for getting it right.  I still think that halos, or an equivalent are important.  Dolphin’s view composer is a very nice tool, both for making layout changes and for browsing the structure of existing views.  Dolphin’s MVP framework more or less requires that each shell window type have its own class, making it fairly easy to get to the correct class in the hierarchy and then find and browse its views.

Even with that, two things arose (necessity’s relation to invention): Object Arts created the “visual object finder,” and Ian Bartholomew gave us Snoop.  The visual finder is a mode that can be easily activated, and will open an inspector on the next graphical entity the user clicks.  Don’t dismiss it too easily; it’s very useful.  Ian’s Snoop is both more and less sophisticated.  It shows two hierarchies: the presenters and corresponding views (the parent/child relationships can be slightly different[*], so both are useful).  Snoop is very similar to a customized object explorer, and can open itself either on a new instance of a class or be attached to a “running” view (at least I _think_ it can do that).

However we decide to offer it, we will find that some type of tool will be needed to help people find which views are in front of them.  Consider my goal of changing background colors to reduce eye strain.  The first step is to figure out which views need attention, and the intuitive place to start is to look at an offending sub-view and somehow identify its class.

Bill

Don’t ask for an example J  I just remember running into it, asking Ian to make the addition, and he was kind enough to do so.  A lot of it might be one’s thought process at the time.

Now if I could just figure out how to remove a Morph from the World without Halos!

If I do System->About it is so big now that it won't all fit on my screen, so I can't reach the ok button to close it and I am stuck with it!

Rob

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Attached a .cs to the issue with a fix, also including the solution Gary suggested for the taskbar-issue that was reported.
(I don't know how to remove methods in .cs files, and haven't yet gotten around to learn how to make slices, so BorderedMorph>>areasRemainingToFill: would have to be removed by hand..)

Cheers,
Henry

On 14.03.2009 22:04, Rob Rothwell wrote:

Done.

Issues 655

On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of
> the "Pharo" graphic.
>
> The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you
> click somewhere else on the screen.

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Rob Rothwell
If you put back:

HaloMorpth>>addPaintBgdHandle: haloSpec
    (innerTarget isKindOf: PasteUpMorph) ifTrue:
        [self addHandle: haloSpec
                on: #mouseDown send: #paintBackground to: innerTarget].

from an older version, you can select a Morph again, but for "simple" Morphs (like Morph new), they get filled in with the background color of the World...

Rob

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Attached a .cs to the issue with a fix, also including the solution Gary suggested for the taskbar-issue that was reported.
(I don't know how to remove methods in .cs files, and haven't yet gotten around to learn how to make slices, so BorderedMorph>>areasRemainingToFill: would have to be removed by hand..)

Cheers,
Henry

On 14.03.2009 22:04, Rob Rothwell wrote:
Done.

Issues 655

On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of
> the "Pharo" graphic.
>
> The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you
> click somewhere else on the screen.

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Once you arrive to a fix point
let me know what I should integrate.
Stef

On Mar 15, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> I noticed the halo problem in the dev image too. Resetting the halo
> specs is needed since one has been removed...
>
> Regards, Gary

"Resetting the halo specs?"

What do you mean?  Putting back other removed methods?

Rob

2009/3/15 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>
I noticed the halo problem in the dev image too. Resetting the halo specs is needed since one has been removed...

Regards, Gary
Now if I could just figure out how to remove a Morph from the World without Halos!

If I do System->About it is so big now that it won't all fit on my screen, so I can't reach the ok button to close it and I am stuck with it!

Rob

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Attached a .cs to the issue with a fix, also including the solution Gary suggested for the taskbar-issue that was reported.
(I don't know how to remove methods in .cs files, and haven't yet gotten around to learn how to make slices, so BorderedMorph>>areasRemainingToFill: would have to be removed by hand..)

Cheers,
Henry

On 14.03.2009 22:04, Rob Rothwell wrote:
Done.

Issues 655

On Mar 14, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Open up a 10250 dev image and click anywhere within the bounds of
> the "Pharo" graphic.
>
> The world menu pops up and leaves part of itself behind when you
> click somewhere else on the screen.

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Gary Chambers-4
Not one of mine...
The halo item in question is the addPaintBgdHandle which is still present in
the images but removed.
Preferences resetHaloSpecifications needs to be invoked.

Regards, Gary

> On Mar 15, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Gary Chambers wrote:
>
>> I noticed the halo problem in the dev image too. Resetting the halo
>> specs is needed since one has been removed...
>>
>> Regards, Gary

Ok I got it and I opened an issue.

Stef

On Mar 16, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Not one of mine...
> The halo item in question is the addPaintBgdHandle which is still
> present in
> the images but removed.
> Preferences resetHaloSpecifications needs to be invoked.
>
> Regards, Gary

Yes...

Preferences resetHaloSpecifications "works," but notice that when selecting a "plain old" Morph (like Morph new), it is overwritten by the background color...

Rob

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok I got it and I opened an issue.

Stef

On Mar 16, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Not one of mine...
> The halo item in question is the addPaintBgdHandle which is still
> present in
> the images but removed.
> Preferences resetHaloSpecifications needs to be invoked.
>
> Regards, Gary

If we are going to use the optimised general case in Morph (a valid thing to do given the default drawOn: implementation) then I guess we need to check all implementors of drawOn: to do a proper areasRemainingToFill: if they are not standard and have non-opaque regions.

Changing HaloMorph>>defaultColor to answer Color transparent fixes this one... In fact, for HaloMorph, #borderWidth should be overriden with the showBoundsInHalo/World logic and #defaultBorderColor to return Preferences menuSelectionColor. #drawOn: can then be removed.

Regards, Gary
Preferences resetHaloSpecifications "works," but notice that when selecting a "plain old" Morph (like Morph new), it is overwritten by the background color...

Rob

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok I got it and I opened an issue.

Stef

On Mar 16, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Not one of mine...
> The halo item in question is the addPaintBgdHandle which is still
> present in
> the images but removed.
> Preferences resetHaloSpecifications needs to be invoked.
>
> Regards, Gary

do you have a nice little cs :)

Stef

On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:09 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> If we are going to use the optimised general case in Morph (a valid
> thing to do given the default drawOn: implementation) then I guess
> we need to check all implementors of drawOn: to do a proper
> areasRemainingToFill: if they are not standard and have non-opaque
> regions.
>
> Changing HaloMorph>>defaultColor to answer Color transparent fixes
> this one... In fact, for HaloMorph, #borderWidth should be overriden
> with the showBoundsInHalo/World logic and #defaultBorderColor to
> return Preferences menuSelectionColor. #drawOn: can then be removed.
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Henrik Sperre Johansen
I believe this might be something like what he's talking of.

Cheers,
Henry

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> do you have a nice little cs :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:09 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:
>

>> If we are going to use the optimised general case in Morph (a valid
>> thing to do given the default drawOn: implementation) then I guess
>> we need to check all implementors of drawOn: to do a proper
>> areasRemainingToFill: if they are not standard and have non-opaque
>> regions.
>>
>> Changing HaloMorph>>defaultColor to answer Color transparent fixes
>> this one... In fact, for HaloMorph, #borderWidth should be overriden
>> with the showBoundsInHalo/World logic and #defaultBorderColor to
>> return Preferences menuSelectionColor. #drawOn: can then be removed.
>>
>> Regards, Gary

HaloMorphColorAndBounds.1.zip (706 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Gary Chambers-4
Try this one ;-)

Regards, Gary

On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:09 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> If we are going to use the optimised general case in Morph (a valid
> thing to do given the default drawOn: implementation) then I guess
> we need to check all implementors of drawOn: to do a proper
> areasRemainingToFill: if they are not standard and have non-opaque
> regions.
>
> Changing HaloMorph>>defaultColor to answer Color transparent fixes
> this one... In fact, for HaloMorph, #borderWidth should be overriden
> with the showBoundsInHalo/World logic and #defaultBorderColor to
> return Preferences menuSelectionColor. #drawOn: can then be removed.
>
> Regards, Gary

HaloMorphRefactoring.1.cs (1K) Download Attachment

Re: World Graphics and Halos

Rob Rothwell
How do you guys KNOW this stuff???!

Rob

2009/3/17 Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>
Try this one ;-)

Regards, Gary

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stéphane Ducasse" <[hidden email]>

Preferences resetHaloSpecifications "works," but notice that when
selecting a "plain old" Morph (like Morph new), it is overwritten by
the background color...

Rob

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> wrote:
Ok I got it and I opened an issue.

Stef

On Mar 16, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Not one of mine...
> The halo item in question is the addPaintBgdHandle which is still
> present in
> the images but removed.
> Preferences resetHaloSpecifications needs to be invoked.
>
> Regards, Gary

12