Worth reading discussion on Smalltalk vs SmalltalkImage

Worth reading discussion on Smalltalk vs SmalltalkImage

Stéphane Ducasse
Browser vs SystemNavigation and much more such as abstraction (traits kind of mistakes) for the sake of it.

I was thinking that I would love to have a message-oriented solution.
One of these days 1.2 we will have to clean Smalltalk, SmalltalkImage current.
The mail is long but worth to get some ideas that you may like or not.

Stef

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 2, 2010 5:08:56 AM GMT+01:00
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [squeak-dev] SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk
>
> Folks -
>
> I was just trying to load some other code and once too many I got bitten by this silly SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk stuff, so I'll fix it now. The only question is which way. There are two alternatives which achieve the goal of "SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk":
>
> 1) The Cuis variant: Move all the code back to SystemDictionary; implement SmalltalkImage current as ^Smalltalk.
>
> Pro: Compatible with Cuis.
> Con: Lack of separation of concerns.
>
> 2) The inverse Cuis variant: Move all the code from SystemDictionary to SmalltalkImage; add a 'globals' variable (populated by an instance of SystemDictionary) and convert everything roughly like this:
>
> SmalltalkImage current globals: Smalltalk.
> Smalltalk := SmalltalkImage current.
>
> Pro: Better separation of concerns.
> Con: Different from Cuis.
>
> I really don't care which way we do it; all I want is to get out of the mess we've created by introducing "SmalltalkImage current".
>
> If you have an opinion, voice it, otherwise I'll just pick one.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 2, 2010 10:56:03 PM GMT+01:00
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk
>
> 2010/3/2 keith <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Smalltalk host windowSystem
>>
>> Smalltalk host platformName
>>
>> Smalltalk host osVersion
>>
>> Smalltalk commandLine vmPath.
>>
>> Smalltalk commandLine imagePath.
>>
>> Smalltalk commandLine documentPath.
>>
>> Smalltalk commandLine optionNumber: 2.
>>
>> Smalltalk commandLine optionAt: 2.
>>
>> Not every protocol has to be implemented by a different class.
>> I asked earlier about a name for the StartupManager. StartupManager would
>> happily handle #commandLine and probably #host as well.
>> Keith
>>

> Sure, implementation detail.
> Quite sure Squeak/Cuis/Pharo/... wouldhave different implementations.
>
> Nicolas

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

> Consequently I'm going to completely ignore any forward-looking proposals and simply state that the current count is 3 votes for the first variant (Phil, David, Bert) and 1 vote for the second variant (Igor). This isn't the final tally but if you care about the compatibility issues raised here please be specific and state your preference for the options listed below rather than making another forward-looking proposal that I have no intention to implement for this round.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>

> On 3/1/2010 8:08 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Folks -
>>
>> I was just trying to load some other code and once too many I got bitten
>> by this silly SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk stuff, so I'll fix it
>> now. The only question is which way. There are two alternatives which
>> achieve the goal of "SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk":
>>
>> 1) The Cuis variant: Move all the code back to SystemDictionary;
>> implement SmalltalkImage current as ^Smalltalk.
>>
>> Pro: Compatible with Cuis.
>> Con: Lack of separation of concerns.
>>
>> 2) The inverse Cuis variant: Move all the code from SystemDictionary to
>> SmalltalkImage; add a 'globals' variable (populated by an instance of
>> SystemDictionary) and convert everything roughly like this:
>>
>> SmalltalkImage current globals: Smalltalk.
>> Smalltalk := SmalltalkImage current.
>>
>> Pro: Better separation of concerns.
>> Con: Different from Cuis.
>>
>> I really don't care which way we do it; all I want is to get out of the
>> mess we've created by introducing "SmalltalkImage current".
>>
>> If you have an opinion, voice it, otherwise I'll just pick one.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> - Andreas

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 3, 2010 3:45:10 AM GMT+01:00
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [squeak-dev] Re: SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk
>
> On 3/2/2010 9:04 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> The worst thing going on with things like SmalltalkImage current,
>> SystemNavigation default and traits is the introduction of abstraction
>> for its own sake.  Abstraction is properly used to manage complexity.
>>  But for example, as others have pointed out, there is no other image
>> than the current image and so SmalltalkImage current is merely verbiage.
>>  And yet SourceFiles is an obvious area which could use a lot more
>> features (being able to load package sources without appending them to
>> the sources file, or having two changes files, one for loaded packages,
>> one for user modifications, etc).
>
> Thanks Eliot. That's an *excellent* description of the problem.

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>
>> On Tuesday, March 2, 2010, Andreas Raab<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> On 3/2/2010 9:04 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>>
>>> The worst thing going on with things like SmalltalkImage current,
>>> SystemNavigation default and traits is the introduction of abstraction
>>> for its own sake.  Abstraction is properly used to manage complexity.
>>>   But for example, as others have pointed out, there is no other image
>>> than the current image and so SmalltalkImage current is merely verbiage.
>>>   And yet SourceFiles is an obvious area which could use a lot more
>>> features (being able to load package sources without appending them to
>>> the sources file, or having two changes files, one for loaded packages,
>>> one for user modifications, etc).
>>>

>>> Thanks Eliot. That's an *excellent* description of the problem.

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

>> On 02.03.2010, at 05:08, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks -
>>>
>>> I was just trying to load some other code and once too many I got bitten by this silly SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk stuff, so I'll fix it now. The only question is which way. There are two alternatives which achieve the goal of "SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk":
>>>
>>> 1) The Cuis variant: Move all the code back to SystemDictionary; implement SmalltalkImage current as ^Smalltalk.
>>>
>>> Pro: Compatible with Cuis.
>>> Con: Lack of separation of concerns.
>>>
>>> 2) The inverse Cuis variant: Move all the code from SystemDictionary to SmalltalkImage; add a 'globals' variable (populated by an instance of SystemDictionary) and convert everything roughly like this:
>>>
>>>       SmalltalkImage current globals: Smalltalk.
>>>       Smalltalk := SmalltalkImage current.
>>>
>>> Pro: Better separation of concerns.
>>> Con: Different from Cuis.
>>>
>>> I really don't care which way we do it; all I want is to get out of the mess we've created by introducing "SmalltalkImage current".
>>>
>>> If you have an opinion, voice it, otherwise I'll just pick one.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>  - Andreas
>>
>> 1) +1
>> 2) -0
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> I won't propose anything here.
> Just invite to think of it.
>
> As noticed by Ronald, the main problem with SmalltalkImage is that it
> does not represent any Object indeed...
> It's just a place holder for some system utilities...
>
> When I see idioms like (SmalltalkImage current vmParameterAt:
> parameterIndex), I just wonder why not (SmalltalkVM current
> parameterAt: parameterIndex)....
> If the VM where reified anyway, I would as well understand (Smalltalk
> vm parameterAt: parameterIndex).
>
> Sure, Marcus & Steph were right: why the hell a SystemDictionary
> should know about the image file name or some vm parameter ?
> Except that Smalltalk was not only a SystemDictionary but the
> interface to "System" parameters fora very long time (st80)...
> And as we can see under vmParameter idiom light, SmalltalkImage is
> arbitrary. At least as arbitrary as Smalltalk.
> Just less readable, adding an unnecessary current complexification...
> Yes, current is just meaningless indeed until you start playing with
> some sort of hydra VM and gain access to an external image (a frozen
> ObjectMemory, or its Image file dump).
> In the interim, a global named #System  would have been far better
> understood (or #Squeak if we don't want to be portable across forks)
>
> That's where Stephane and Marcus failed...
> ... replacing a well known hack (Smalltalk == System) with something
> not solid enough.
> When you break such habits (and code) you have to sell it with well
> thought replacement.
>
> Though, when I see code like (Smalltalk cleanUpUndoCommands), I can't
> help thinking Steph and Marcus intention was right...

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

> a NameSpace).
> Utilities are spreaded around a bunch of classes (apart Smalltalk
> version for portability).
>
> Personnally, I was bred with st80 (Browser browse...), not those
> (SystemNavigation default browse...) and it sometimes still bugs me ;)
>
>> AFAIC I see no actual problem here, better a question of taste concerning
>> where the meta-info should be stored and how it should be retrieved.
>>
>>> Though, when I see code like (Smalltalk cleanUpUndoCommands), ...
>>
>> That's the user (that is, the outside) ordering the system to do something.
>> It fits in my view of what SmalltalkImage represents.
>>
>> Concerning Andreas question, I would keep globals in Smalltalk (since it is
>> the SystemDictionary) and put everything else in SmalltalkImage that I would
>> rename Squeak because it's nicer (and also because the image is only a part
>> of the system, along with the VM for example).
>>
>> Or we could just reify everything, and have classes Image, Changes, Sources,
>> VM, Platform, User... why not ? we already have DisplayScreen ("There is
>> only one instance of me, Display. It is a global and is used to handle
>> general user requests to deal with the whole display screen."). It could be
>> fun.
>>

> As I said, (Smalltalk vm parameterAt: ) would not shock me.
> Of course, replace first all these (vmParameterAt:
> obscureCodeForGurus) by more explicit message ;)
>
> What idiom do we have in use by now ?
>
> - The globals:
> Smalltalk keys sort reject: [:e | (Smalltalk at: e) isBehavior]
> #(#ActiveEvent #ActiveHand #ActiveWorld #CustomEventsRegistry
> #Display #ImageImports #Processor #References #ScheduledControllers
> #ScriptingSystem #Sensor #Smalltalk #SourceFiles #SystemOrganization
> #TextConstants #Transcript #Undeclared #World)
>
> - (SomeClass current)
> (Smalltalk classNames asArray sort select: [:e | (Smalltalk at: e)
> class includesSelector: #current])
> #(#BitBlt #CPUWatcher #ChangeSet #ColorTheme #Locale #LocaleID
> #NaturalLanguageTranslator #Project #ReleaseBuilderFor3dot10
> #ResourceCollector #ServiceRegistry #SmalltalkImage #SystemVersion
> #TestResource #WarpBlt)
>
> I omit #( #DateAndTime  #Time #TimeStamp #Timespan  #Year )
>
> - (SomeClass default)
> (Smalltalk classNames asArray sort select: [:e | (Smalltalk at: e)
> class includesSelector: #default])
> #(#AbstractSound #AppRegistry #Beeper #BorderStyle #Categorizer
> #Clipboard #FMSound #FileDirectory #FontChooserTool #HTTPLoader
> #Imports #InputSensor #InstallerUniverse #MCCacheRepository
> #MCRepositoryGroup #NaturalLanguageTranslator #PackageInfo
> #PackageOrganizer #PluckedSound #Requestor #SMSqueakMap
> #SecurityManager #SystemNavigation #TTCFontDescription
> #TTFontDescription #TextConverter #TextStyle #TimeZone #ToolBuilder
> #UIManager #UUIDGenerator #UnloadedSound #WeakRegistry)
>
> Nobody would bring back all corresponding methods in SystemDictionary

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 2, 2010 5:24:18 PM GMT+01:00
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk
>
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 08:08:56PM -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Folks -
>>
>> I was just trying to load some other code and once too many I got bitten
>> by this silly SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk stuff, so I'll fix it
>> now. The only question is which way. There are two alternatives which
>> achieve the goal of "SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk":
>>
>> 1) The Cuis variant: Move all the code back to SystemDictionary;
>> implement SmalltalkImage current as ^Smalltalk.
>>
>> Pro: Compatible with Cuis.
>> Con: Lack of separation of concerns.
>>
>> 2) The inverse Cuis variant: Move all the code from SystemDictionary to
>> SmalltalkImage; add a 'globals' variable (populated by an instance of
>> SystemDictionary) and convert everything roughly like this:
>>
>> SmalltalkImage current globals: Smalltalk.
>> Smalltalk := SmalltalkImage current.
>>
>> Pro: Better separation of concerns.
>> Con: Different from Cuis.
>
> I favor #1.
>
> Rationale:
>
> The name "SmalltalkImage" sounds like it means something, but I can't
> figure out what. Based on the things that it actually implements, I
> can't think of any definition that would make sense. The class comment
> is meaningless and adds to the confusion.
>
> I honestly can't think of any way to fix "SmalltalkImage" that does
> not introduce more incompatibilities, so that leaves the Cuis approach
> as my preference.
>
> I do think it may be worth waiting a week or so to see if anyone can
> come up with any better approach that meets these criteria:
>
> - Moves the extraneous behavior out of SystemDictionary, as per the
>   original intent of the SmalltalkImage refactoring.
> - Consists only of classes with meaningful class comments and
>   clear responsibilities
> - Preserves "SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk" for compatibility
> - Preserves the "SmalltalkImage current" idiom for compatibility
>
> I cannot personally think of any good way to do this, but maybe someone
> else can.
>
> Dave

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 2, 2010 5:27:24 PM GMT+01:00
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk
>
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 10:05:13AM +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>> Though, when I see code like (Smalltalk cleanUpUndoCommands), I can't
>> help thinking Steph and Marcus intention was right...
>
> Well, it's a utility procedure, so "Utilities cleanUpUndoCommands" comes
> to mind.
>
> Dave

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

>>> The only question is which way. There are two alternatives which achieve the
>>> goal of "SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk":
>>>
>>> 1) The Cuis variant: Move all the code back to SystemDictionary; implement
>>> SmalltalkImage current as ^Smalltalk.
>>>
>>> Pro: Compatible with Cuis.
>>> Con: Lack of separation of concerns.
>>>
>>> 2) The inverse Cuis variant: Move all the code from SystemDictionary to
>>> SmalltalkImage; add a 'globals' variable (populated by an instance of
>>> SystemDictionary) and convert everything roughly like this:
>>>
>>>        SmalltalkImage current globals: Smalltalk.
>>>        Smalltalk := SmalltalkImage current.
>>>
>>> Pro: Better separation of concerns.
>>> Con: Different from Cuis.
>>>
>>> I really don't care which way we do it; all I want is to get out of the mess
>>> we've created by introducing "SmalltalkImage current".
>>>
>>> If you have an opinion, voice it, otherwise I'll just pick one.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Ronald Spengler <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 3, 2010 4:21:26 AM GMT+01:00
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk
>
> Well heck:) I don't think my opinion is of a lot of value here, but
> aesthetically I'd like to see SmalltalkImage killed. Partly I'm just
> not clear on what concerns it really separates.
>
> On Tuesday, March 2, 2010, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 3/2/2010 9:04 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>>
>> The worst thing going on with things like SmalltalkImage current,
>> SystemNavigation default and traits is the introduction of abstraction
>> for its own sake.  Abstraction is properly used to manage complexity.
>>  But for example, as others have pointed out, there is no other image
>> than the current image and so SmalltalkImage current is merely verbiage.
>>  And yet SourceFiles is an obvious area which could use a lot more
>> features (being able to load package sources without appending them to
>> the sources file, or having two changes files, one for loaded packages,
>> one for user modifications, etc).
>>

>> Thanks Eliot. That's an *excellent* description of the problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas
>>

> --
> Ron

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Alexander Lazarević <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 3, 2010 4:26:22 AM GMT+01:00
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk
>
> 1) +1
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 05:08, Andreas Raab <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Folks -
>>
>> I was just trying to load some other code and once too many I got bitten by
>> this silly SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk stuff, so I'll fix it now.
>> The only question is which way. There are two alternatives which achieve the
>> goal of "SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk":
>>
>> 1) The Cuis variant: Move all the code back to SystemDictionary; implement
>> SmalltalkImage current as ^Smalltalk.
>>
>> Pro: Compatible with Cuis.
>> Con: Lack of separation of concerns.
>>
>> 2) The inverse Cuis variant: Move all the code from SystemDictionary to
>> SmalltalkImage; add a 'globals' variable (populated by an instance of
>> SystemDictionary) and convert everything roughly like this:
>>
>>        SmalltalkImage current globals: Smalltalk.
>>        Smalltalk := SmalltalkImage current.
>>
>> Pro: Better separation of concerns.
>> Con: Different from Cuis.
>>
>> I really don't care which way we do it; all I want is to get out of the mess
>> we've created by introducing "SmalltalkImage current".
>>
>> If you have an opinion, voice it, otherwise I'll just pick one.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

>> Smalltalk commandLine vmPath.
>> Smalltalk commandLine imagePath.
>> Smalltalk commandLine documentPath.
>> Smalltalk commandLine optionNumber: 2.
>
> Smalltalk commandLine optionAt: 2.
>
>> Smalltalk commandLine options.
>> Smalltalk commandLine argumentNumber: 1.
>> Smalltalk commandLine arguments.
>>
>> Smalltalk sourceCode condenseChanges.
>>

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 2, 2010 10:44:16 PM GMT+01:00
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk
>

> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2010/3/2 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:
> > On 2 March 2010 22:00, Nicolas Cellier
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> What if instead of writing (SmalltalkImage current) you would just say
> >> (Smalltalk vm).
> >> Would this be tolerably short ?
> >> Would the compatibility layer be short enough ?
> >>
> >> Squeak 3.8: SystemDictionary>>vm ^ self
> >> Squeak 3.9 and upper: SystemDictionary>>vm ^ SmalltalkImage current
> >>
> >> I took a look, and except source code management, a majority of
> >> SmalltalkImage methods are related to VM and command line.
> >> We could as well move messages to SmalltalkVM and just let a
> >> SmalltalkImage class current hook
> >> But I don't think it is necessary.
> >>
> >> What do you think ?
> >>

> > I think we should define a distinctive roles for these parts and make
> > sure none of them overlap.
> > 'vm' is for tuning/poking GC options/attributes and various
> > interpreter specific stuff.
> > 'system' is for poking with host system options/attributes
> > 'image' is for poking with language-wide (global) stuff & utils
> >
> > then , for any behavior it would be clear, what entity is responsible
> > for it, not like currently
> > when you don't know what is better 'Smalltalk' or 'SmalltalkImage current'
> >

> like this ?
>
> Smalltalk vm version
> Smalltalk vm extraMemory
> Smalltalk vm listLoadedModules
>
> But then:
> Smalltalk vm allocationCount
> or Smalltalk memory allocationCount ?
> or Smalltalk gc allocationCount ?
>
> Smalltalk host windowSystem
> Smalltalk host platformName
> Smalltalk host osVersion
>
> Smalltalk commandLine vmPath.
> Smalltalk commandLine imagePath.
> Smalltalk commandLine documentPath.
> Smalltalk commandLine optionNumber: 2.
> Smalltalk commandLine options.
> Smalltalk commandLine argumentNumber: 1.
> Smalltalk commandLine arguments.
>
> Smalltalk sourceCode condenseChanges.
>
> This is very nice.  So...
>
> Smalltalk query allImplementorsOf: #printOn:
> Smalltalk query browseSendersOf: #ensure:

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

>>>         SmalltalkImage current globals: Smalltalk.
>>>         Smalltalk := SmalltalkImage current.
>>>
>>> Pro: Better separation of concerns.
>>> Con: Different from Cuis.
>>>
>>> I really don't care which way we do it; all I want is to get out of the mess we've created by introducing "SmalltalkImage current".
>>>
>>> If you have an opinion, voice it, otherwise I'll just pick one.
>>>

>>> Having dealt with this a few times getting some code running on Cuis, I'd prefer that Squeak/Cuis try to remain compatible in areas like this where there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason for them not to be.  I have no preference whether it's Cuis moving to the Squeak approach or Squeak moving (back) to the Cuis approach though.

Begin forwarded message:

> [...]

>>        SmalltalkImage current globals: Smalltalk.
>>        Smalltalk := SmalltalkImage current.
>>
>> Pro: Better separation of concerns.
>> Con: Different from Cuis.
>>
>> I really don't care which way we do it; all I want is to get out of the mess we've created by introducing "SmalltalkImage current".
>>
>> If you have an opinion, voice it, otherwise I'll just pick one.
>>

>> Having dealt with this a few times getting some code running on Cuis, I'd prefer that Squeak/Cuis try to remain compatible in areas like this where there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason for them not to be.  I have no preference whether it's Cuis moving to the Squeak approach or Squeak moving (back) to the Cuis approach though.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 2, 2010 8:21:53 AM GMT+01:00
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk
>
> On 02.03.2010, at 05:08, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>> Folks -
>>
>> I was just trying to load some other code and once too many I got bitten by this silly SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk stuff, so I'll fix it now. The only question is which way. There are two alternatives which achieve the goal of "SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk":
>>
>> 1) The Cuis variant: Move all the code back to SystemDictionary; implement SmalltalkImage current as ^Smalltalk.
>>
>> Pro: Compatible with Cuis.
>> Con: Lack of separation of concerns.
>>
>> 2) The inverse Cuis variant: Move all the code from SystemDictionary to SmalltalkImage; add a 'globals' variable (populated by an instance of SystemDictionary) and convert everything roughly like this:
>>
>> SmalltalkImage current globals: Smalltalk.
>> Smalltalk := SmalltalkImage current.
>>
>> Pro: Better separation of concerns.
>> Con: Different from Cuis.
>>
>> I really don't care which way we do it; all I want is to get out of the mess we've created by introducing "SmalltalkImage current".
>>
>> If you have an opinion, voice it, otherwise I'll just pick one.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> - Andreas
>
> 1) +1
> 2) -0
>
> - Bert -

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Phil (list)" <[hidden email]>
> Date: March 2, 2010 6:38:58 AM GMT+01:00
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk
>
> On Mar 1, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> Folks -
>>
>> I was just trying to load some other code and once too many I got bitten by this silly SmalltalkImage current vs. Smalltalk stuff, so I'll fix it now. The only question is which way. There are two alternatives which achieve the goal of "SmalltalkImage current == Smalltalk":
>>
>> 1) The Cuis variant: Move all the code back to SystemDictionary; implement SmalltalkImage current as ^Smalltalk.
>>
>> Pro: Compatible with Cuis.
>> Con: Lack of separation of concerns.
>>
>> 2) The inverse Cuis variant: Move all the code from SystemDictionary to SmalltalkImage; add a 'globals' variable (populated by an instance of SystemDictionary) and convert everything roughly like this:
>>
>> SmalltalkImage current globals: Smalltalk.
>> Smalltalk := SmalltalkImage current.
>>
>> Pro: Better separation of concerns.
>> Con: Different from Cuis.
>>
>> I really don't care which way we do it; all I want is to get out of the mess we've created by introducing "SmalltalkImage current".
>>
>> If you have an opinion, voice it, otherwise I'll just pick one.
>>

> Having dealt with this a few times getting some code running on Cuis, I'd prefer that Squeak/Cuis try to remain compatible in areas like this where there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason for them not to be.  I have no preference whether it's Cuis moving to the Squeak approach or Squeak moving (back) to the Cuis approach though.
>
>> Cheers,
>> - Andreas
>>

> Thanks,
> Phil

Re: Worth reading discussion on Smalltalk vs SmalltalkImage

Henrik Sperre Johansen

Den 03.03.2010 10:36, skrev Stéphane Ducasse:
> Browser vs SystemNavigation and much more such as abstraction (traits kind of mistakes) for the sake of it.
>
> I was thinking that I would love to have a message-oriented solution.
> One of these days 1.2 we will have to clean Smalltalk, SmalltalkImage current.
> The mail is long but worth to get some ideas that you may like or not.
>
> Stef

I have to say I support what to me seemed like the general consensus on
this, that the separation just didn't go far enough to make it worth it :)
I especially like the
Smalltalk vm parameterAt:
Smalltalk query allCallsOn:
etc.
protocol, sure you add a globals category to SystemDictionary, but to me
the resulting code looks much better than both the current state of
SmalltalkImage vmParameterAt: and SystemNavigation current allCallsOn:
(or were those class methods?), and the old where SystemDictionary was a
complete mess.

The important thing if this becomes the solution, is deciding what goes
where, (in a consistent fashion across forks), as well as the level of
backwards-compatibility packages should be offered/deprecation methods
kept in the image.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Worth reading discussion on Smalltalk vs SmalltalkImage

I have the impression that there is no rush to fix
Smalltalk
SmalltalkImage
SystemNavigation

now if the urge is so intense that we have to....
I was thinking that I would like to have a solution where

Smalltalk -> sole instance of System (aka SmalltalkImage)

SystemDictionary -> renamed into Namespace
and it accessible via
                Smalltalk environment
                Smalltalk namespace

Or Smalltalk is just an holder for a couple of globals
        Smalltalk image -> SmalltalkImage current
        Smalltalk vm -> SmalltalkVM (not yet done)
        Smalltalk namespace -> Namespace instance

On Mar 3, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> Den 03.03.2010 10:36, skrev Stéphane Ducasse:
>> Browser vs SystemNavigation and much more such as abstraction (traits kind of mistakes) for the sake of it.
>>
>> I was thinking that I would love to have a message-oriented solution.
>> One of these days 1.2 we will have to clean Smalltalk, SmalltalkImage current.
>> The mail is long but worth to get some ideas that you may like or not.
>>
>> Stef
>>
> I have to say I support what to me seemed like the general consensus on
> this, that the separation just didn't go far enough to make it worth it :)
> I especially like the
> Smalltalk vm parameterAt:
> Smalltalk query allCallsOn:
> etc.
> protocol, sure you add a globals category to SystemDictionary, but to me
> the resulting code looks much better than both the current state of
> SmalltalkImage vmParameterAt: and SystemNavigation current allCallsOn:
> (or were those class methods?), and the old where SystemDictionary was a
> complete mess.

I agree with part of it (see my next/previous mail :)

even if for SystemNavigation I do not really like Smalltalk query ccalll....

> The important thing if this becomes the solution, is deciding what goes
> where, (in a consistent fashion across forks),

I'm sure that we will be able to have something that is cross fork. I do not have the energy
to argue.

> as well as the level of
> backwards-compatibility packages should be offered/deprecation methods
> kept in the image.

Re: Worth reading discussion on Smalltalk vs SmalltalkImage

Nicolas Cellier
2010/3/3 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> On Mar 3, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:
>

>> Den 03.03.2010 10:36, skrev Stéphane Ducasse:
>>> Browser vs SystemNavigation and much more such as abstraction (traits kind of mistakes) for the sake of it.
>>>
>>> I was thinking that I would love to have a message-oriented solution.
>>> One of these days 1.2 we will have to clean Smalltalk, SmalltalkImage current.
>>> The mail is long but worth to get some ideas that you may like or not.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>> I have to say I support what to me seemed like the general consensus on
>> this, that the separation just didn't go far enough to make it worth it :)
>> I especially like the
>> Smalltalk vm parameterAt:
>> Smalltalk query allCallsOn:
>> etc.
>> protocol, sure you add a globals category to SystemDictionary, but to me
>> the resulting code looks much better than both the current state of
>> SmalltalkImage vmParameterAt: and SystemNavigation current allCallsOn:
>> (or were those class methods?), and the old where SystemDictionary was a
>> complete mess.
>
> I agree with part of it (see my next/previous mail :)
>
> even if for SystemNavigation I do not really like Smalltalk query ccalll....

My own position is this one:

1) Rename Browser -> SystemBrowser
2) Rename SystemNavigation -> Browser
3) move SystemNavigation methods -> class side

Rationale:
1) that's what is written in window title, isn't it ?
2) Browser allCallsOn: and Browser browseAllCallsOn: are so neat !
3) Is there any value in instance side, or is SystemNavigation just a factory ?

Browser would not designate the tool, but the friendly compagnon used
to browse and query.
You can easily create a few compatibility hooks to SystemBrowser if required.

Nicolas

2010/3/3 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

> 2010/3/3 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

>>> I have to say I support what to me seemed like the general consensus on
>>> this, that the separation just didn't go far enough to make it worth it :)
>>> I especially like the
>>> Smalltalk vm parameterAt:
>>> Smalltalk query allCallsOn:
>>> etc.
>>> protocol, sure you add a globals category to SystemDictionary, but to me
>>> the resulting code looks much better than both the current state of
>>> SmalltalkImage vmParameterAt: and SystemNavigation current allCallsOn:
>>> (or were those class methods?), and the old where SystemDictionary was a
>>> complete mess.
>>
>> I agree with part of it (see my next/previous mail :)
>>
>> even if for SystemNavigation I do not really like Smalltalk query ccalll....
>>

> My own position is this one:
>
> 1) Rename Browser -> SystemBrowser
> 2) Rename SystemNavigation -> Browser
> 3) move SystemNavigation methods -> class side
>
> Rationale:
> 1) that's what is written in window title, isn't it ?
> 2) Browser allCallsOn: and Browser browseAllCallsOn: are so neat !
> 3) Is there any value in instance side, or is SystemNavigation just a factory ?
>
> Browser would not designate the tool, but the friendly compagnon used
> to browse and query.
> You can easily create a few compatibility hooks to SystemBrowser if required.
>
> Nicolas

Of course, unless SystemNavigation become a statefull object
remembering navigation paths, caching frequent requests etc...
In which case, it wouldcease to be a factory.

>>> The important thing if this becomes the solution, is deciding what goes
>>> where, (in a consistent fashion across forks),
>>
>> I'm sure that we will be able to have something that is cross fork. I do not have the energy
>> to argue.
>>
>>> as well as the level of
>>> backwards-compatibility packages should be offered/deprecation methods
>>> kept in the image.

Re: Worth reading discussion on Smalltalk vs SmalltalkImage

> 1) Rename Browser -> SystemBrowser
> 2) Rename SystemNavigation -> Browser
> 3) move SystemNavigation methods -> class side

Why not
        Navigator
        Finder and we do not change all the existing books that always called Browser the tool

        Finder allCallOn: #new
Stef

> Rationale:
> 1) that's what is written in window title, isn't it ?
> 2) Browser allCallsOn: and Browser browseAllCallsOn: are so neat !
> 3) Is there any value in instance side, or is SystemNavigation just a factory ?
>
> Browser would not designate the tool, but the friendly compagnon used
> to browse and query.
> You can easily create a few compatibility hooks to SystemBrowser if required.
>
> Nicolas
>
>>> The important thing if this becomes the solution, is deciding what goes
>>> where, (in a consistent fashion across forks),
>>
>> I'm sure that we will be able to have something that is cross fork. I do not have the energy
>> to argue.
>>
>>> as well as the level of
>>> backwards-compatibility packages should be offered/deprecation methods
>>> kept in the image.

Re: Worth reading discussion on Smalltalk vs SmalltalkImage

Nicolas Cellier
2010/3/3 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

>> 1) Rename Browser -> SystemBrowser
>> 2) Rename SystemNavigation -> Browser
>> 3) move SystemNavigation methods -> class side
>
> Why not
>        Navigator
>        Finder and we do not change all the existing books that always called Browser the tool
>
>        Finder allCallOn: #new
> Stef

Yes, that works too.

I don't fear the confusion of Browser the finder and SystemBrowser the tool :
- because with all browse messages implemented in the finder, it can
be viewed as the mean to access the tool
- because advanced users wishing to program will just discover the
subtle implementation difference by browsing

But then, I don't care that much

Nicolas