Would it be a good idea to integrate amber more tightly with something like backbone.js?

Would it be a good idea to integrate amber more tightly with something like backbone.js?

Andy Burnett
I am really impressed with some of the new libraries such as deployd,
backbone, angular, etc. Obviously, we can work with those libraries
using Amber, as it is. However, it seems to me that a version of amber
which was more tightly integrated with a library, might be really
appealing.

I imagine, at the simplest level, this might just involve including
the library classes - and documentation - within the browser. But,
perhaps there is more to it than this? Ideally, I want a system that
has a similar experience to gemstone, I.e. not having to worry about
persistence, and a rich collection of widgets for interface
construction

Has anyone built anything like this? If so, did it require changes to amber?

Re: Would it be a good idea to integrate amber more tightly with something like backbone.js?

Esteban A. Maringolo
I'm not using Amber right now, but I thought that migrating/integrating backbone.js into amber would be a good project to learn the internals of both frameworks. Backbone.st is a catchy name for outsiders too.

On a side note I consider it to be the most Smalltalker friendly of all the JS presentation frameworks, it is more MVP than MVC/MVVM, and it even have a model similar to the one used by Amber, where all the views end up in a render. Actually it is more like Dolphin Smalltalk MVP Pattern, where the view is "dumb", and everything is triggered by the Presenter.

Addy Osmani is one of the few influential JS developers who mentions Smalltalk in his O'Reilly Backbone.js book (http://addyosmani.github.com/backbone-fundamentals/#smalltalk-80-mvc).

Regards,

Esteban.

Re: Would it be a good idea to integrate amber more tightly with something like backbone.js?

Nicolas Petton

Hi!

Writing glue code in Amber to integrate better with some libraries
wouldn't require any change to Amber itself.

I personally don't have a strong need to that, because by nature Amber
works very well in a JS environment. Now if you'd like to integrate
better with angular.js or any other, please just go for it!!

Nico

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Would it be a good idea to integrate amber more tightly with something like backbone.js?

Andy Burnett
I think there are strong arguments to keep Amber 'pure', and I certainly don't want to complicate it. And yet, when I look at systems like Meteor, I can't help feeling that there may be some important benefits to be had by integrating with some library(ies) more closely.

I will go and have a play ;-)

Cheers
Andy

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

Writing glue code in Amber to integrate better with some libraries
wouldn't require any change to Amber itself.

I personally don't have a strong need to that, because by nature Amber
works very well in a JS environment. Now if you'd like to integrate
better with angular.js or any other, please just go for it!!

Nico

Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am really impressed with some of the new libraries such as deployd,
> backbone, angular, etc. Obviously, we can work with those libraries
> using Amber, as it is. However, it seems to me that a version of amber
> which was more tightly integrated with a library, might be really
> appealing.
>
> I imagine, at the simplest level, this might just involve including
> the library classes - and documentation - within the browser. But,
> perhaps there is more to it than this? Ideally, I want a system that
> has a similar experience to gemstone, I.e. not having to worry about
> persistence, and a rich collection of widgets for interface
> construction
>
> Has anyone built anything like this? If so, did it require changes to amber?

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Would it be a good idea to integrate amber more tightly with something like backbone.js?

sebastianconcept
I've just watched the Meteor demo and it's pretty impressive to make real time apps

but I still prefer to wait for a little clean smalltalk framework to achieve it

a real debugger + Helios on remote VM's will make us get there (and much more) in no time and without any further magic

On Jan 1, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Andy Burnett wrote:

I think there are strong arguments to keep Amber 'pure', and I certainly don't want to complicate it. And yet, when I look at systems like Meteor, I can't help feeling that there may be some important benefits to be had by integrating with some library(ies) more closely.

I will go and have a play ;-)

Cheers
Andy

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

Writing glue code in Amber to integrate better with some libraries
wouldn't require any change to Amber itself.

I personally don't have a strong need to that, because by nature Amber
works very well in a JS environment. Now if you'd like to integrate
better with angular.js or any other, please just go for it!!

Nico

Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am really impressed with some of the new libraries such as deployd,
> backbone, angular, etc. Obviously, we can work with those libraries
> using Amber, as it is. However, it seems to me that a version of amber
> which was more tightly integrated with a library, might be really
> appealing.
>
> I imagine, at the simplest level, this might just involve including
> the library classes - and documentation - within the browser. But,
> perhaps there is more to it than this? Ideally, I want a system that
> has a similar experience to gemstone, I.e. not having to worry about
> persistence, and a rich collection of widgets for interface
> construction
>
> Has anyone built anything like this? If so, did it require changes to amber?

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Would it be a good idea to integrate amber more tightly with something like backbone.js?

Andy Burnett
I completely agree. Improving Amber - as you have outlined - is our main priority. At the same time, it may be helpful for some of us to try integrating it with one or more libraries, because that might provide important feedback for its development.

Personally, I would like to be able to load a library, have all that library's methods visible in Amber, and just code away - using the Chrome debugger in one window - seeing my application growing in the main browser window.  Assuming this is even possible! some of this will require Amber development, and other parts will probably require us to e.g. develop a package for Amber that can automagically read the Backbone methods/Docs etc.

I don't want to distract from the main effort, but I wondered if anyone else is interested in playing with this.

Cheers
Andy

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've just watched the Meteor demo and it's pretty impressive to make real time apps

but I still prefer to wait for a little clean smalltalk framework to achieve it

a real debugger + Helios on remote VM's will make us get there (and much more) in no time and without any further magic

On Jan 1, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Andy Burnett wrote:

I think there are strong arguments to keep Amber 'pure', and I certainly don't want to complicate it. And yet, when I look at systems like Meteor, I can't help feeling that there may be some important benefits to be had by integrating with some library(ies) more closely.

I will go and have a play ;-)

Cheers
Andy

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

Writing glue code in Amber to integrate better with some libraries
wouldn't require any change to Amber itself.

I personally don't have a strong need to that, because by nature Amber
works very well in a JS environment. Now if you'd like to integrate
better with angular.js or any other, please just go for it!!

Nico

Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am really impressed with some of the new libraries such as deployd,
> backbone, angular, etc. Obviously, we can work with those libraries
> using Amber, as it is. However, it seems to me that a version of amber
> which was more tightly integrated with a library, might be really
> appealing.
>
> I imagine, at the simplest level, this might just involve including
> the library classes - and documentation - within the browser. But,
> perhaps there is more to it than this? Ideally, I want a system that
> has a similar experience to gemstone, I.e. not having to worry about
> persistence, and a rich collection of widgets for interface
> construction
>
> Has anyone built anything like this? If so, did it require changes to amber?

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Would it be a good idea to integrate amber more tightly with something like backbone.js?

Nicolas Petton

Indeed :)

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Would it be a good idea to integrate amber more tightly with something like backbone.js?

emmanuel r
I've got some Amber-AngularJS integration. It's by no means complete, but so far controllers, services, and bootstrapping of AngularJS can be done within Amber.

I'm developing the AngularJS wrapper as I develop an app. I'm using Amber with Onsen UI (AngularJS + Topcoat) and running it all on top of Apache Cordova.

On Monday, January 7, 2013 8:23:42 AM UTC-5, nicolas petton wrote:

Indeed :)

sebastian <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="GRJdZp7F-Q0J" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">sebastia...@...> writes:

--
Nicolas Petton