Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

12

Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

A noteworthy effort

      https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan

--Hannes

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

KenDickey
On Thu, 1 May 2014 07:28:54 +0000
"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A noteworthy effort
>
>       https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan

Yes.  Masashi Umezawa is the man in Japan!

He should introduce himself.

He gave a talk about Cuis at the 63rd Smalltalkers' meeting in Tokyo:
 http://www.smalltalk-users.jp/Home/gao-zhi/dai63kaismalltalkbenkyoukai/shiryou

Masashi has ported several packages to CUis.

Because of Unicode interest, I was made aware that recent font tweaks have broken my Unicode package in the latest Cuis versions.

Masashi-san, would you care to tell us about yourself and what people there think about Cuis?

-KenD

-KenD

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you for the link to  Masashi Umezawa's presentation.

It is from 2014 and talks about

- the number of classes compared to Squeak and Pharo
- the size of Morphic -- Morph allSelectors size "=> 502"
- something I do not fully get about instance variables
     'bounds owner submorphs fullBounds color extension'
     versus
    'owner submorphs location layoutNeeded layoutSpec properties'
- layoutSpec
- PackageInfo
- version control with git
- Feature require: '<PackageName>'.
- your Unicode package https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode
- https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor
- How to query for other Cuis-Smalltalk repositories
             https://github.com/search?q=cuis-smalltalk

All things which we will include Cuis documentation effort.

--Hannes

On 5/1/14, Ken Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 2014 07:28:54 +0000
> "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> A noteworthy effort
>>
>>       https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan
>
> Yes.  Masashi Umezawa is the man in Japan!
>
> He should introduce himself.
>
> He gave a talk about Cuis at the 63rd Smalltalkers' meeting in Tokyo:
> http://www.smalltalk-users.jp/Home/gao-zhi/dai63kaismalltalkbenkyoukai/shiryou
>
> Masashi has ported several packages to CUis.
>
> Because of Unicode interest, I was made aware that recent font tweaks have
> broken my Unicode package in the latest Cuis versions.
>
> Masashi-san, would you care to tell us about yourself and what people there
> think about Cuis?
>
> -KenD

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

garduino
Wow, I was completely unaware of Masashi working in Cuis! Welcome aboard!!

Thank you for the link to  Masashi Umezawa's presentation.

It is from 2014 and talks about

- the number of classes compared to Squeak and Pharo
- the size of Morphic -- Morph allSelectors size "=> 502"
- something I do not fully get about instance variables
     'bounds owner submorphs fullBounds color extension'
     versus
    'owner submorphs location layoutNeeded layoutSpec properties'
- layoutSpec
- PackageInfo
- version control with git
- Feature require: '<PackageName>'.
- your Unicode package https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode
- https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor
- How to query for other Cuis-Smalltalk repositories
             https://github.com/search?q=cuis-smalltalk

All things which we will include Cuis documentation effort.

--Hannes

On 5/1/14, Ken Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2014 07:28:54 +0000
> "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> A noteworthy effort
>>
>>       https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan
>
> Yes.  Masashi Umezawa is the man in Japan!
>
> He should introduce himself.
>
> He gave a talk about Cuis at the 63rd Smalltalkers' meeting in Tokyo:
> http://www.smalltalk-users.jp/Home/gao-zhi/dai63kaismalltalkbenkyoukai/shiryou
>
> Masashi has ported several packages to CUis.
>
> Because of Unicode interest, I was made aware that recent font tweaks have
> broken my Unicode package in the latest Cuis versions.
>
> Masashi-san, would you care to tell us about yourself and what people there
> think about Cuis?
>
> -KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Masashi UMEZAWA-3
Hi all,

Thank you for the kind words. I've just started Cuis on March, and I
was impressed with its cleanness, simplicity, etc.
So I did a introductory presentation at Tokyo Smalltalkers meeting. It
was successful.
Now I'm planning to port Folktale (telnet-base object shell), and SIXX
to Cuis. My pace maybe slow, but please stay tuned. ;)

Best regards,

> Wow, I was completely unaware of Masashi working in Cuis! Welcome aboard!!

>> Thank you for the link to  Masashi Umezawa's presentation.
>>
>> It is from 2014 and talks about
>>
>> - the number of classes compared to Squeak and Pharo
>> - the size of Morphic -- Morph allSelectors size "=> 502"
>> - something I do not fully get about instance variables
>>      'bounds owner submorphs fullBounds color extension'
>>      versus
>>     'owner submorphs location layoutNeeded layoutSpec properties'
>> - layoutSpec
>> - PackageInfo
>> - version control with git
>> - Feature require: '<PackageName>'.
>> - your Unicode package https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode
>> - https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor
>> - How to query for other Cuis-Smalltalk repositories
>>              https://github.com/search?q=cuis-smalltalk
>>
>> All things which we will include Cuis documentation effort.
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 5/1/14, Ken Dickey <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Yes.  Masashi Umezawa is the man in Japan!
>> >
>> > He should introduce himself.
>> >
>> > He gave a talk about Cuis at the 63rd Smalltalkers' meeting in Tokyo:
>> >
>> > http://www.smalltalk-users.jp/Home/gao-zhi/dai63kaismalltalkbenkyoukai/shiryou
>> >
>> > Masashi has ported several packages to CUis.
>> >
>> > Because of Unicode interest, I was made aware that recent font tweaks
>> > have
>> > broken my Unicode package in the latest Cuis versions.
>> >
>> > Masashi-san, would you care to tell us about yourself and what people
>> > there
>> > think about Cuis?
>> >
>> > -KenD

> Saludos / Regards,
> Germán Arduino
> www.arduinosoftware.com

[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Juan Vuletich-4
Hannes,

On 5/1/2014 12:19 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Thank you for the link to  Masashi Umezawa's presentation.
>
> It is from 2014 and talks about
>
> - the number of classes compared to Squeak and Pharo
> - the size of Morphic -- Morph allSelectors size "=>  502"
> - something I do not fully get about instance variables
>       'bounds owner submorphs fullBounds color extension'
>       versus
>      'owner submorphs location layoutNeeded layoutSpec properties'
> - layoutSpec
> - PackageInfo
> - version control with git
> - Feature require: '<PackageName>'.
> - your Unicode package https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode
> - https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor
> - How to query for other Cuis-Smalltalk repositories
>               https://github.com/search?q=cuis-smalltalk
>
> All things which we will include Cuis documentation effort.
>
> --Hannes

Please start writing some markdown about all this!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Masashi-san,

Welcome aboard!

All this is wonderful, thank you!

Please remember that Cuis is evolving right now. Post any bug reports,
or comment on annoyances or things you'd like to change. Especially
things that ease developing your packages or applications, and you
believe that belong in the base image.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 5/2/2014 12:23 PM, Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thank you for the kind words. I've just started Cuis on March, and I
> was impressed with its cleanness, simplicity, etc.
> So I did a introductory presentation at Tokyo Smalltalkers meeting. It
> was successful.
> Now I'm planning to port Folktale (telnet-base object shell), and SIXX
> to Cuis. My pace maybe slow, but please stay tuned. ;)
>
> Best regards,

>> Wow, I was completely unaware of Masashi working in Cuis! Welcome aboard!!

>>> Thank you for the link to  Masashi Umezawa's presentation.
>>>
>>> It is from 2014 and talks about
>>>
>>> - the number of classes compared to Squeak and Pharo
>>> - the size of Morphic -- Morph allSelectors size "=>  502"
>>> - something I do not fully get about instance variables
>>>       'bounds owner submorphs fullBounds color extension'
>>>       versus
>>>      'owner submorphs location layoutNeeded layoutSpec properties'
>>> - layoutSpec
>>> - PackageInfo
>>> - version control with git
>>> - Feature require: '<PackageName>'.
>>> - your Unicode package https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode
>>> - https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor
>>> - How to query for other Cuis-Smalltalk repositories
>>>               https://github.com/search?q=cuis-smalltalk
>>>
>>> All things which we will include Cuis documentation effort.
>>>
>>> --Hannes

>> --
>> Saludos / Regards,
>> Germán Arduino
>> www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Masashi-san

I'd like to come back to your FileMan package

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan

and ask a question.

Is this package a port from somewhere or did you write it from scratch?

Some background information is appreciated.

There is no description
https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Example.pck.st#L2

Thank you in advance

Hannes Hirzel

On 5/2/14, Masashi UMEZAWA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thank you for the kind words. I've just started Cuis on March, and I
> was impressed with its cleanness, simplicity, etc.
> So I did a introductory presentation at Tokyo Smalltalkers meeting. It
> was successful.
> Now I'm planning to port Folktale (telnet-base object shell), and SIXX
> to Cuis. My pace maybe slow, but please stay tuned. ;)
>
> Best regards,

>> Wow, I was completely unaware of Masashi working in Cuis! Welcome aboard!!

>>> Thank you for the link to  Masashi Umezawa's presentation.
>>>
>>> It is from 2014 and talks about
>>>
>>> - the number of classes compared to Squeak and Pharo
>>> - the size of Morphic -- Morph allSelectors size "=> 502"
>>> - something I do not fully get about instance variables
>>>      'bounds owner submorphs fullBounds color extension'
>>>      versus
>>>     'owner submorphs location layoutNeeded layoutSpec properties'
>>> - layoutSpec
>>> - PackageInfo
>>> - version control with git
>>> - Feature require: '<PackageName>'.
>>> - your Unicode package
>>> https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode
>>> - https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor
>>> - How to query for other Cuis-Smalltalk repositories
>>>              https://github.com/search?q=cuis-smalltalk
>>>
>>> All things which we will include Cuis documentation effort.
>>>
>>> --Hannes

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Hannes Hirzel
Below are the comments from the FileMan package.

Question: How do you compare the FileMan package to the FileSystem
package in Pharo?

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Core.pck.st#L45
I represent a single file entry (including directory).
You can write data by #fileContents: , and read the data by #fileContents.
---
mu 11/6/2006 20:21!

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Core.pck.st#L53
I represent a single file directory.
I implement various directory specific behaviors.
You can write data by #at:put: , and read the data by #at:.
---
mu 11/6/2006 20:21

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Core.pck.st#L63
!FmFileIOAccessor commentStamp: '<historical>' prior: 0!
I am an accessor to the low level file IO.
You can extend/rewrite me if you port FileMan to other Smalltalk dialects.

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Example.pck.st#L44
!FmBackupDirectoryEntry commentStamp: 'mu 5/4/2007 23:26' prior: 0!
This is a simple example for adding special behaviors to FmDirectoryEntry.
I backup file contents automatically, while users are not conscious about that.
Usage:
dir := './withBackup' asDirectoryEntry: FmBackupDirectoryEntry.
dir at: 'text' put: 'abc'.
dir at: 'text' put: 'def'.
(dir at: 'text') inspect. "def"
(dir backupAt: 'text') inspect. "abc"
((dir / 'sub') at: 'text2' put: '123').
((dir / 'sub') at: 'text2' put: '456').
((dir / 'sub') at: 'text2') inspect. "456"
((dir / 'sub') backupAt: 'text2') inspect. "123"

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Example.pck.st#L63
This is a simple example for adding special behaviors to FmDirectoryEntry.
I put and get file contents as gzipped, while users are not conscious
about that.
Usage:
| dir |
dir := './gzipped2' asDirectoryEntry: FmGZipDirectoryEntry.
dir binaryAt: 'bin' put: #(1 2 3 12 34 56) asByteArray.
(dir binaryAt: 'bin') inspect.
dir at: 'text' put: 'This will be gzipped'.
(dir at: 'text') inspect.
I would be useful for storing/loading big contents in a simple
dictionary-like manner.

On 5/17/15, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Masashi-san
>
> I'd like to come back to your FileMan package
>
> https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan
>
> and ask a question.
>
> Is this package a port from somewhere or did you write it from scratch?
>
> Some background information is appreciated.
>
> There is no description
> https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Example.pck.st#L2
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Hannes Hirzel
>

> On 5/2/14, Masashi UMEZAWA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thank you for the kind words. I've just started Cuis on March, and I
>> was impressed with its cleanness, simplicity, etc.
>> So I did a introductory presentation at Tokyo Smalltalkers meeting. It
>> was successful.
>> Now I'm planning to port Folktale (telnet-base object shell), and SIXX
>> to Cuis. My pace maybe slow, but please stay tuned. ;)
>>
>> Best regards,

>>> Wow, I was completely unaware of Masashi working in Cuis! Welcome
>>> aboard!!

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

I apologize for talking before taking even a quick look, but anyway,
We'd take a good look at this. And seriously consider replacing files
stuff in Cuis base. Or at least adopting it as a core package in our repo.

Thoughts?

Masashi-san: opinions?

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich

On 5/17/2015 12:07 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Is this package a port from somewhere or did you write it from scratch?
>>
>> Some background information is appreciated.
>>
>> There is no description
>> https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Example.pck.st#L2
>>
>> Thank you in advance
>>
>> Hannes Hirzel
>>

>> On 5/2/14, Masashi UMEZAWA<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the kind words. I've just started Cuis on March, and I
>>> was impressed with its cleanness, simplicity, etc.
>>> So I did a introductory presentation at Tokyo Smalltalkers meeting. It
>>> was successful.
>>> Now I'm planning to port Folktale (telnet-base object shell), and SIXX
>>> to Cuis. My pace maybe slow, but please stay tuned. ;)
>>>
>>> Best regards,

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Hi Hirzel-san,

Sorry for the slow reply. I missed the mail...

FileMan was originally written for Squeak. First release was July 2006
on SqueakMap.
http://map.squeak.org/package/f9917683-25da-4a6c-a013-b36527a100c1

My attempt was to wrap FileStream and Directory's scattered interfaces
with clean OO ones.

After that, FileSystems appeared. It is a more drastic rewrite of the
File-IO related classes. So it is not a wrapper.

Nowadays I'm using FileMan for portability. It is ported to Squeak,
Pharo, and VW. It wraps dialect specific File-IO classes with the same
interfaces.

Best regards,

--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Masashi UMEZAWA-3
Hi all,

I think it is nice if FileMan is on the core package repository.

FileMan for Cuis (and Squeak) has minimum dependencies to the existing
FileDirectory and DirectoryEntry. FileMan selectively uses a few
methods of them.

So we can gradually adopt FileMan interfaces and trim the
FileDirectory and DirectoryEntry's non-intuitive methods.

Another way of cleaning-up the file-related classes is to port
FileSystems to Cuis.
But since Cuis is a lightweight Smalltalk dialect, FileSystems might
be an overkill.

Best regards,

> [...]
>> I put and get file contents as gzipped, while users are not conscious
>> about that.
>> Usage:
>> | dir |
>> dir := './gzipped2' asDirectoryEntry: FmGZipDirectoryEntry.
>> dir binaryAt: 'bin' put: #(1 2 3 12 34 56) asByteArray.
>> (dir binaryAt: 'bin') inspect.
>> dir at: 'text' put: 'This will be gzipped'.
>> (dir at: 'text') inspect.
>> I would be useful for storing/loading big contents in a simple
>> dictionary-like manner.
>>

>> On 5/17/15, H. Hirzel<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Masashi-san
>>>
>>> I'd like to come back to your FileMan package
>>>
>>> https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan
>>>
>>> and ask a question.
>>>
>>> Is this package a port from somewhere or did you write it from scratch?
>>>
>>> Some background information is appreciated.

[:masashi | ^umezawa]

On 5/26/2015 11:34 PM, Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think it is nice if FileMan is on the core package repository.
>
> FileMan for Cuis (and Squeak) has minimum dependencies to the existing
> FileDirectory and DirectoryEntry. FileMan selectively uses a few
> methods of them.
>
> So we can gradually adopt FileMan interfaces and trim the
> FileDirectory and DirectoryEntry's non-intuitive methods.
>
> Another way of cleaning-up the file-related classes is to port
> FileSystems to Cuis.
> But since Cuis is a lightweight Smalltalk dialect, FileSystems might
> be an overkill.
>
> Best regards,
Thank you!

Having a better, simpler filesystem api would be a good improvement.
Being it multi-dialect is even better.

We can adopt Masashi-san's FileMan as an optional package, or if we
agree, we can just include it in the base image and start converting
existing code to use it. Please take a good look at it
https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan

After some time, we can start converting FileMan so it doesn't use
FileDirectory at all. Then we can just completely remove the old api.

Thoughts?
Juan Vuletich

> [...]
>>> ((dir / 'sub') at: 'text2' put: '456').
>>> ((dir / 'sub') at: 'text2') inspect. "456"
>>> ((dir / 'sub') backupAt: 'text2') inspect. "123"
>>>

>>> https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Example.pck.st#L63
>>> This is a simple example for adding special behaviors to FmDirectoryEntry.
>>> I put and get file contents as gzipped, while users are not conscious
>>> about that.
>>> Usage:
>>> | dir |
>>> dir := './gzipped2' asDirectoryEntry: FmGZipDirectoryEntry.
>>> dir binaryAt: 'bin' put: #(1 2 3 12 34 56) asByteArray.
>>> (dir binaryAt: 'bin') inspect.
>>> dir at: 'text' put: 'This will be gzipped'.
>>> (dir at: 'text') inspect.
>>> I would be useful for storing/loading big contents in a simple
>>> dictionary-like manner.

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Edgar De Cleene
Yes, put in Core if possible.
Welcome Masashi-san and FileMan was one old times favorite

On 5/28/15, 9:21 AM, "Juan Vuletich" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> Unicode package
>>>>>>>
> https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-StyledTextEditor
> How to query for other Cuis-Smalltalk repositories
>>>>>>>
> https://github.com/search?q=cuis-smalltalk

> will include Cuis documentation effort.
>>>>>>>

> --Hannes

> effort
>>>>>>>>>

> https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan
> is the man in Japan!

> himself.

> meeting in Tokyo:
>>>>>>>>

> http://www.smalltalk-users.jp/Home/gao-zhi/dai63kaismalltalkbenkyoukai/shiryou

> CUis.

> recent font tweaks
> latest Cuis versions.

> about yourself and what people
> Cuis?

> rg

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Seems a good idea to have a multi-dialect way of manage Files and Directories.

About FileSystem (Pharo) it's really one of these problems introduced with this sort of drastic changes (lot of legacy code had to be rewritten to make it work with the new API, example: Komanche and now, is hard to port, or maintain the port, for Squeak and Cuis).

We can adopt Masashi-san's FileMan as an optional package, or if we agree, we can just include it in the base image and start converting existing code to use it. Please take a good look at it https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan

"H. Hirzel"<[hidden email]>   wrote:

A noteworthy effort

        https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan
Yes.  Masashi Umezawa is the man in Japan!

He should introduce himself.

He gave a talk about Cuis at the 63rd Smalltalkers' meeting in Tokyo:

http://www.smalltalk-users.jp/Home/gao-zhi/dai63kaismalltalkbenkyoukai/shiryou

Masashi has ported several packages to CUis.

Because of Unicode interest, I was made aware that recent font tweaks
have
broken my Unicode package in the latest Cuis versions.

Masashi-san, would you care to tell us about yourself and what people
there
think about Cuis?

-KenD

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

GreenNeon On Cuis

Chris Cunnington-4
Here is the image for Cuis. [1] A script for Squeak [2].
I’ll blog details next week.

Have a nice weekend,
Chris

[2]

 Installer ss project: 'WebClient';
install: 'WebClient-Core';
install: 'WebClient-HTTP';
install: 'WebClient-Help'.
 Installer ss3 project: 'Oakville';
install: 'GreenNeon’.

GNHelloWorld startOn: 9944

Re: [squeak-dev] GreenNeon On Cuis

garduino
Hi Chris:

Excellent, thanks!

I sent a mail early today saying:

I did a quick packaging (as a Cuis package) of GreenNeon and added the requirements to make it load in a current Cuis 4.2 image (2343).

It load ok but with several undeclared that seems to exist also in the original image.  By other hand I fixed quickly some names as the current HTTP (ex WebClient) package requires, but the localhost:8821 with the example seems not work yet.

The snippets of the workspace should be now (for adhere to the new class names in HTTP package):

resp := HTTPClient httpGet: 'http://www.squeak.org'.
resp content.
HTTPServer exampleBrowse.
GNHelloWorld startOn: 8821

As Phil said, the way to go is create a GitHub repo for GreenNeon, but I let it to Chris, the original author of the package.

HTH

But is awaiting moderator approval (for the size of the attached pck).

From this new version that is in your image, would be interesting to create a GitHub repo and a Cuis package for GreenNeon.

Let me know if I can help with some of these duties.

Cheers.

Here is the image for Cuis. [1] A script for Squeak [2].
I’ll blog details next week.

Have a nice weekend,
Chris

[2]

 Installer ss project: 'WebClient';
install: 'WebClient-Core';
install: 'WebClient-HTTP';
install: 'WebClient-Help'.
 Installer ss3 project: 'Oakville';
install: 'GreenNeon’.

GNHelloWorld startOn: 9944

--
Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi folks,

This is the plan (if everybody agrees)
- Make FileMan part of the Cuis base image.
- Convert all code in the base image and core packages to use FileMan
instead of FileDirectory and DirectoryEntry.
- Remove FileDirectory and DirectoryEntry to SqueakCompatibility.pck.st,
and discourage its use.

This might take some time, and would be done in incremental steps. But
I'd start soonish.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 5/29/2015 8:03 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Yes, put in Core if possible.
> Welcome Masashi-san and FileMan was one old times favorite
>

> On 5/28/15, 9:21 AM, "Juan Vuletich"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Masashi-san,
> On 5/26/2015 11:34 PM, Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:
>> Hi all,

>> think it is nice if FileMan is on the core package repository.
>>
>> FileMan for
>> Cuis (and Squeak) has minimum dependencies to the existing
>> FileDirectory and
>> DirectoryEntry. FileMan selectively uses a few
>> methods of them.
>>
>> So we
>> can gradually adopt FileMan interfaces and trim the
>> FileDirectory and
>> DirectoryEntry's non-intuitive methods.
>>
>> Another way of cleaning-up the
>> file-related classes is to port
>> FileSystems to Cuis.
>> But since Cuis is a
>> lightweight Smalltalk dialect, FileSystems might
>> be an overkill.
>>
>> Best
>> regards,
> Thank you!
>
> Having a better, simpler filesystem api would be a good
>> improvement.
> Being it multi-dialect is even better.
>
> We can adopt
>> Masashi-san's FileMan as an optional package, or if we
> agree, we can just
>> include it in the base image and start converting
> existing code to use it.
>> Please take a good look at it
>>
> https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan
>
> After some time, we can
>> start converting FileMan so it doesn't use
> FileDirectory at all. Then we can
>> just completely remove the old api.
> Thoughts?
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

KenDickey
On Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:16:23 -0300
Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is the plan (if everybody agrees)
> - Make FileMan part of the Cuis base image.
> - Convert all code in the base image and core packages to use FileMan
> instead of FileDirectory and DirectoryEntry.
> - Remove FileDirectory and DirectoryEntry to SqueakCompatibility.pck.st,
> and discourage its use.

Sounds good to me.

I'll update as soon as FileMan is added to base.

FYI,
-KenD

-KenD
12