Writing My First App Tutorial is a Mystery to Me

Writing My First App Tutorial is a Mystery to Me

Dan Shafer
I'm trying to learn Amber. I know Smalltalk reasonably well (though I'm a bit rusty) but the Amber environment is clear as mud.

I try to run the My First App Tutorial on GitHub. I've finished and confirmed a proper install of Amber. The Counter example from the Browser runs fine.

But when I simply copy and paste the code sample from the tutorial on GitHub into an HTML file on my local server and try to run the app, I get the page I expect, but neither button does anything. When I look in the Firebug console at errors, I get a "require" unknown at line 8. Line 8 is:

require.config({ paths: {
        'com_example_hello': 'js', //mapping compiled .js files
        'com_example_hello/_source': 'st' //mapping smalltalk source files
      }

Since I have no way of knowing at this stage of my Amber education what the heck require is trying to do or where it gets invoked from or in what module/method it occurs, I'm stymied. I'm astonished that "Hello World" takes so many lines and I'm completely flummoxed by the fact that the first sample app tutorial doesn't just run.

Help!

Re: Writing My First App Tutorial is a Mystery to Me

Herby Vojčík
The tutorial is aimed at to-be-released 0.12 version. It does not work with currently stable 0.11. It was written with the assumption of fast release cycle, but 0.12 is till not out.

You should use amber from git master, do you?

Herby

dshafer wrote:

> I'm trying to learn Amber. I know Smalltalk reasonably well (though
> I'm a bit rusty) but the Amber environment is clear as mud.
>
> I try to run the My First App Tutorial on GitHub. I've finished and
> confirmed a proper install of Amber. The Counter example from the
> Browser runs fine.
>
> But when I simply copy and paste the code sample from the tutorial on
> GitHub into an HTML file on my local server and try to run the app, I
> get the page I expect, but neither button does anything. When I look
> in the Firebug console at errors, I get a "require" unknown at line 8.
> Line 8 is:
>
> require.config({ paths: {
> 'com_example_hello': 'js', //mapping compiled .js files
> 'com_example_hello/_source': 'st' //mapping
smalltalk source files

> }
>
> Since I have no way of knowing at this stage of my Amber education
> what the heck require is trying to do or where it gets invoked from or
> in what module/method it occurs, I'm stymied. I'm astonished that
> "Hello World" takes so many lines and I'm completely flummoxed by the
> fact that the first sample app tutorial doesn't just run.
>
> Help!

Re: Writing My First App Tutorial is a Mystery to Me

Hannes Hirzel
I have a working 'hello' folder in my fork of amber-examples

https://github.com/hhzl/amber-examples/tree/master/hello

It is the hello app as described in

    https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Writing-my-first-app

and

    https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/How-to-load-amber

It needs -- as Herby points out -- the most recent version of amber
(the not yet released 0.12) as downloaded from github master branch.

The 'presentation' example and others have not been updated for 'requirejs' yet.

--Hannes

On 10/4/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The tutorial is aimed at to-be-released 0.12 version. It does not work with
> currently stable 0.11. It was written with the assumption of fast release
> cycle, but 0.12 is till not out.
>
> You should use amber from git master, do you?
>
> Herby
>
> dshafer wrote:
>> I'm trying to learn Amber. I know Smalltalk reasonably well (though
>> I'm a bit rusty) but the Amber environment is clear as mud.
>>
>> I try to run the My First App Tutorial on GitHub. I've finished and
>> confirmed a proper install of Amber. The Counter example from the
>> Browser runs fine.
>>
>> But when I simply copy and paste the code sample from the tutorial on
>> GitHub into an HTML file on my local server and try to run the app, I
>> get the page I expect, but neither button does anything. When I look
>> in the Firebug console at errors, I get a "require" unknown at line 8.
>> Line 8 is:
>>
>> require.config({ paths: {
>> 'com_example_hello': 'js', //mapping compiled .js files
>> 'com_example_hello/_source': 'st' //mapping
> smalltalk source files
>> }
>>
>> Since I have no way of knowing at this stage of my Amber education
>> what the heck require is trying to do or where it gets invoked from or
>> in what module/method it occurs, I'm stymied. I'm astonished that
>> "Hello World" takes so many lines and I'm completely flummoxed by the
>> fact that the first sample app tutorial doesn't just run.
>>
>> Help!

Re: Writing My First App Tutorial is a Mystery to Me

Hannes Hirzel
P.S. I added a note to page

https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Writing-my-first-app

Note: This page applies to version 0.12 (not yet released as of Oct. 2013)

--Hannes

On 10/4/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a working 'hello' folder in my fork of amber-examples
>
> https://github.com/hhzl/amber-examples/tree/master/hello
>

> It is the hello app as described in
>
>     https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Writing-my-first-app
>
> and
>
>     https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/How-to-load-amber
>

> It needs -- as Herby points out -- the most recent version of amber
> (the not yet released 0.12) as downloaded from github master branch.
>
> The 'presentation' example and others have not been updated for 'requirejs'
> yet.
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 10/4/13, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The tutorial is aimed at to-be-released 0.12 version. It does not work
>> with
>> currently stable 0.11. It was written with the assumption of fast release
>> cycle, but 0.12 is till not out.
>>
>> You should use amber from git master, do you?
>>
>> Herby
>>
>> dshafer wrote:
>>> I'm trying to learn Amber. I know Smalltalk reasonably well (though
>>> I'm a bit rusty) but the Amber environment is clear as mud.
>>>
>>> I try to run the My First App Tutorial on GitHub. I've finished and
>>> confirmed a proper install of Amber. The Counter example from the
>>> Browser runs fine.
>>>
>>> But when I simply copy and paste the code sample from the tutorial on
>>> GitHub into an HTML file on my local server and try to run the app, I
>>> get the page I expect, but neither button does anything. When I look
>>> in the Firebug console at errors, I get a "require" unknown at line 8.
>>> Line 8 is:
>>>
>>> require.config({ paths: {
>>> 'com_example_hello': 'js', //mapping compiled .js files
>>> 'com_example_hello/_source': 'st' //mapping
>> smalltalk source files
>>> }
>>>
>>> Since I have no way of knowing at this stage of my Amber education
>>> what the heck require is trying to do or where it gets invoked from or
>>> in what module/method it occurs, I'm stymied. I'm astonished that
>>> "Hello World" takes so many lines and I'm completely flummoxed by the
>>> fact that the first sample app tutorial doesn't just run.
>>>
>>> Help!

Re: Writing My First App Tutorial is a Mystery to Me

Edward Ocampo-gooding-2
Hello there dshafer!

I had the same problem but eventually figured it out and updated the docs: https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Writing-my-first-app

Give the current docs a shot and let me know if it works?

On 10/4/13, H. Hirzel <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="QiYrViMjKx0J" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">hannes...@...> wrote:

> I have a working 'hello' folder in my fork of amber-examples

> It is the hello app as described in

> and

> It needs -- as Herby points out -- the most recent version of amber
> (the not yet released 0.12) as downloaded from github master branch.
>
> The 'presentation' example and others have not been updated for 'requirejs'
> yet.
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 10/4/13, Herby Vojčík <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="QiYrViMjKx0J" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">he...@...> wrote:
>> The tutorial is aimed at to-be-released 0.12 version. It does not work
>> with
>> currently stable 0.11. It was written with the assumption of fast release
>> cycle, but 0.12 is till not out.
>>
>> You should use amber from git master, do you?
>>
>> Herby
>>
>> dshafer wrote:
>>> I'm trying to learn Amber. I know Smalltalk reasonably well (though
>>> I'm a bit rusty) but the Amber environment is clear as mud.
>>>
>>> I try to run the My First App Tutorial on GitHub. I've finished and
>>> confirmed a proper install of Amber. The Counter example from the
>>> Browser runs fine.
>>>
>>> But when I simply copy and paste the code sample from the tutorial on
>>> GitHub into an HTML file on my local server and try to run the app, I
>>> get the page I expect, but neither button does anything. When I look
>>> in the Firebug console at errors, I get a "require" unknown at line 8.
>>> Line 8 is:
>>>
>>> require.config({ paths: {
>>> 'com_example_hello': 'js', //mapping compiled .js files
>>> 'com_example_hello/_source': 'st' //mapping
>> smalltalk source files
>>> }
>>>
>>> Since I have no way of knowing at this stage of my Amber education
>>> what the heck require is trying to do or where it gets invoked from or
>>> in what module/method it occurs, I'm stymied. I'm astonished that
>>> "Hello World" takes so many lines and I'm completely flummoxed by the
>>> fact that the first sample app tutorial doesn't just run.
>>>
>>> Help!
>>>
>>> --

Re: Writing My First App Tutorial is a Mystery to Me

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you, Edward for extending the tutorial and make it much easier
for new people to follow.

In addition I have created two sections

1.   Setup of directories and index.html file
2.   Writing the Amber Smalltalk code

In the second part it is also shown how a Smalltalk method is called
from JavaScript in the index.html file.

A next step now would be to have
   'another tutorial'

which shows how to use a JavaScript library. This was asked for on
this list a few months ago and a good tutorial helps people to save
time and get started quickly,

    https://github.com/tomrake/googlecharts

which is linked from

    https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples

might be a candidate.

The instructions provided by Tom Rake are fairly elaborate. However
they need to be tested, commented and elaborated.

--Hannes

On 12/15/13, Edward Ocampo-Gooding <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello there dshafer!
>
> I had the same problem but eventually figured it out and updated the
> docs: https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Writing-my-first-app
>
> Give the current docs a shot and let me know if it works?
>
> On Friday, October 11, 2013 12:30:46 AM UTC-4, Hannes wrote:
>>
>> P.S. I added a note to page
>>
>> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Writing-my-first-app
>>

>> Note: This page applies to version 0.12 (not yet released as of Oct. 2013)
>>

>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 10/4/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email] <javascript:>> wrote:
>> > I have a working 'hello' folder in my fork of amber-examples
>> >
>> > https://github.com/hhzl/amber-examples/tree/master/hello
>> >

>> > It is the hello app as described in
>> >
>> >     https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Writing-my-first-app
>> >
>> > and
>> >
>> >     https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/How-to-load-amber
>> >

>> > It needs -- as Herby points out -- the most recent version of amber
>> > (the not yet released 0.12) as downloaded from github master branch.
>> >
>> > The 'presentation' example and others have not been updated for
>> 'requirejs'
>> > yet.
>> >
>> > --Hannes

>> release

Re: Writing My First App Tutorial is a Mystery to Me

Edward Ocampo-gooding-2
Hi Hannes,

Thanks for taking a look!

I’m still picking up Smalltalk, but I’ll work on the second tutorial you mentioned as my next task. Thanks for outlining it; it makes it much easier for someone interested in contributing.

On 12/15/13, Edward Ocampo-Gooding <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="5ilBQUqsen4J" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">edwa...@...> wrote: