Writing a MIDI file?

Casey Ransberger-2
I want to be able to write MIDI data back to a .mid file from Squeak. Presently I have some pages in other tabs with documentation on the MIDI file format, but I'd rather not reinvent any wheels that I don't need to. I see that there's a class MIDIFileReader, but no matching writer class. I don't see any methods for exporting the data to disk.

Any idea how I might write MIDI data back out to the disk in Squeak?

--
Casey Ransberger

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Squeak List
I just decided to attach the file: MIDIFileWriter.st

since http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1406 doesn't seem so stable....

ken

there is more info, which i will dig up in a bit. in particular, Mu0 does this well with the stuff i will dig up. possibly you will hear something from that camp before i even write back :)

also, it does work in 4.1 on windows vista 32.

MIDIFileWriter.st (12K) Download Attachment

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Stéphane Rollandin
> there is more info, which i will dig up in a bit. in particular, Mu0
> does this well with the stuff i will dig up. possibly you will hear
> something from that camp before i even write back :)

You fired first :)

So yes, MIDIFileWriter will convert a MIDIScore into a MIDI file. It
should belong to the base image IMO, since we already have the
MIDIFileReader.

MuO is a full-fledged musical composition environment and provide its
own representation of MIDI-like data.

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Squeak List
actually,

the class comment for MIDIFileWriter actually works - not very extensive, but is nearly infinitely more useful/interesting than NO comment :) an example of helpful documentation, and cheers indeed for code created around 10 ago...AND still working in 4.1 update:10112 !!!

thank you Lushi (AKA Yisrael Lowenstein).

my original MIDI interest was to be able to convert "scores" with the same/similar format found in the AbstractSound bachFugue examples: to create a MIDI file from scratch - not exactly like the MIDIFileWriter example...

Stéphane pointed out a way to do that in his Mu0 environment... and i am working on my own version fine-tuned to what i want to do in the way that makes most sense to me in the environment which i am creating :)

i also agree that it (Class MIDIFileWriter) should be in the base image, if possible.

ken

PS: this brief sort of documentation is very helpful to me.

a great example imo is the class comment for: KeyboardMorphForInput.

KeyboardMorphForInput commentStamp:'nice 3/24/2010 07:37' prior:0...

i do not know who goes by the initials of  'nice' - but whoever it is did a rather decent job. actually extremely well done imo...
and hopefully "someone" could tell me how to search the image for commentStamps created by 'nice'... that would be....

> there is more info, which i will dig up in a bit. in particular, Mu0
> does this well with the stuff i will dig up. possibly you will hear
> something from that camp before i even write back :)

You fired first :)

So yes, MIDIFileWriter will convert a MIDIScore into a MIDI file. It should belong to the base image IMO, since we already have the MIDIFileReader.

MuO is a full-fledged musical composition environment and provide its own representation of MIDI-like data.

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Hannes Hirzel
On 5/4/10, Squeak List <[hidden email]> wrote:
> actually,
>
> the class comment for MIDIFileWriter actually works - not very extensive,
> but is nearly infinitely more useful/interesting than NO comment :) an
> example of helpful documentation,
+1

and cheers indeed for code created around

> 10 ago...AND still working in 4.1 update:10112 !!!
>
> thank you Lushi (AKA Yisrael Lowenstein).
>
> my original MIDI interest was to be able to convert "scores" with the
> same/similar format found in the AbstractSound bachFugue examples: to create
> a MIDI file from scratch - not exactly like the MIDIFileWriter example...
>
> Stéphane pointed out a way to do that in his Mu0 environment... and i am
> working on my own version fine-tuned to what i want to do in the way that
> makes most sense to me in the environment which i am creating :)
>
> i also agree that it (Class MIDIFileWriter) should be in the base image, if
> possible.
+1
or than easily accessible as something like SoundAddons on
Squeaksource together with a reference in the 'Extending the System'
workspace.

> ken
>

> PS: this brief sort of documentation is very helpful to me.
>
> a great example imo is the class comment for: KeyboardMorphForInput.
>
> KeyboardMorphForInput commentStamp:'nice 3/24/2010 07:37' prior:0...
>
> i do not know who goes by the initials of  'nice' - but whoever it is did a
> rather decent job. actually extremely well done imo...
> and hopefully "someone" could tell me how to search the image for
> commentStamps created by 'nice'... that would be....

Nice = Nicolas Cellier

--Hannes

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Stéphane Rollandin
> i am working on my own version fine-tuned to what i want to do in the way that makes most sense to me in the environment which i am creating :)

Any pointer about your environment main principles ?

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Nicolas Cellier
2010/5/4 Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

> On 5/4/10, Squeak List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> actually,
>>
>> the class comment for MIDIFileWriter actually works - not very extensive,
>> but is nearly infinitely more useful/interesting than NO comment :) an
>> example of helpful documentation,
> +1
>
> and cheers indeed for code created around
>> 10 ago...AND still working in 4.1 update:10112 !!!
>>
>> thank you Lushi (AKA Yisrael Lowenstein).
>>
>> my original MIDI interest was to be able to convert "scores" with the
>> same/similar format found in the AbstractSound bachFugue examples: to create
>> a MIDI file from scratch - not exactly like the MIDIFileWriter example...
>>
>> Stéphane pointed out a way to do that in his Mu0 environment... and i am
>> working on my own version fine-tuned to what i want to do in the way that
>> makes most sense to me in the environment which i am creating :)
>>
>> i also agree that it (Class MIDIFileWriter) should be in the base image, if
>> possible.
> +1
> or than easily accessible as something like SoundAddons on
> Squeaksource together with a reference in the 'Extending the System'
> workspace.
>
>> ken
>>

>> PS: this brief sort of documentation is very helpful to me.
>>
>> a great example imo is the class comment for: KeyboardMorphForInput.
>>
>> KeyboardMorphForInput commentStamp:'nice 3/24/2010 07:37' prior:0...
>>
>> i do not know who goes by the initials of  'nice' - but whoever it is did a
>> rather decent job. actually extremely well done imo...
>> and hopefully "someone" could tell me how to search the image for
>> commentStamps created by 'nice'... that would be....
>>
> Nice = Nicolas Cellier
>
> --Hannes

But I didn't write the comment, just replaced _ with :=

Nicolas

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Hannes Hirzel
Regarding the KeyboardMorphForInput - I can enter the scores for the
first instrument (red scores) but how do I do it for the second (green
scores).

The answer to this question would result in an update to the comment
of class KeyboardMorphForInput.

--Hannes

On 5/4/10, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/5/4 Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>> On 5/4/10, Squeak List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> actually,
>>>
>>> the class comment for MIDIFileWriter actually works - not very extensive,
>>> but is nearly infinitely more useful/interesting than NO comment :) an
>>> example of helpful documentation,
>> +1
>>
>> and cheers indeed for code created around
>>> 10 ago...AND still working in 4.1 update:10112 !!!
>>>
>>> thank you Lushi (AKA Yisrael Lowenstein).
>>>
>>> my original MIDI interest was to be able to convert "scores" with the
>>> same/similar format found in the AbstractSound bachFugue examples: to
>>> create
>>> a MIDI file from scratch - not exactly like the MIDIFileWriter example...
>>>
>>> Stéphane pointed out a way to do that in his Mu0 environment... and i am
>>> working on my own version fine-tuned to what i want to do in the way that
>>> makes most sense to me in the environment which i am creating :)
>>>
>>> i also agree that it (Class MIDIFileWriter) should be in the base image,
>>> if
>>> possible.
>> +1
>> or than easily accessible as something like SoundAddons on
>> Squeaksource together with a reference in the 'Extending the System'
>> workspace.
>>
>>> ken
>>>

>>> PS: this brief sort of documentation is very helpful to me.
>>>
>>> a great example imo is the class comment for: KeyboardMorphForInput.
>>>
>>> KeyboardMorphForInput commentStamp:'nice 3/24/2010 07:37' prior:0...
>>>
>>> i do not know who goes by the initials of  'nice' - but whoever it is did
>>> rather decent job. actually extremely well done imo...
>>> and hopefully "someone" could tell me how to search the image for
>>> commentStamps created by 'nice'... that would be....
>>>
>> Nice = Nicolas Cellier
>>
>> --Hannes
>>

> But I didn't write the comment, just replaced _ with :=
>
> Nicolas

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Squeak List
in the ScorePlayerMorph that opens, there are 3 instruments/tracks which each have their own volume and panning controls. on my system: the SLIDERS controlling volume and panning are:  instrument 1 is red, instrument 2 is green, and instrument 3 has blue sliders... (RGB, nice)...

1 - do whatever you want with the keyboard when it opens - deliberate or random.

2 - the notes/representation which show up in the PianoScrollMorph are the same color as (what i would call the activated recording channel) the sliders mentioned above.

3 - on my system, the red notes appear 1st on the PianoRoll...

4 - then, in the ScorePlayerMorph, if you MUTE instruments 1 and 3, the piano roll is empty again, and what you do next with the keyboard will appear on the piano roll in its corresponding color (green notes now)...

5 - mute instruments 1 and 2, and do what you must with the keyboard again: blue notes this time.

6 - "UN-MUTE" (turn off mute) all of the instruments/tracks to see them all in the piano roll. all 3 colors/tracks/instruments now appear in the piano roll.

7 - mute and "un-mute" in ScorePlayerMorph to see what each track/instrument is doing in the piano roll.

a decent place 2 begin :)

now if "save as midi file" was added to the "saving" options :)

ken

Regarding the KeyboardMorphForInput - I can enter the scores for the
first instrument (red scores) but how do I do it for the second (green
scores).

The answer to this question would result in an update to the comment
of class KeyboardMorphForInput.

--Hannes

On 5/4/10, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/5/4 Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>> On 5/4/10, Squeak List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> actually,
>>>
>>> the class comment for MIDIFileWriter actually works - not very extensive,
>>> but is nearly infinitely more useful/interesting than NO comment :) an
>>> example of helpful documentation,
>> +1
>>
>> and cheers indeed for code created around
>>> 10 ago...AND still working in 4.1 update:10112 !!!
>>>
>>> thank you Lushi (AKA Yisrael Lowenstein).
>>>
>>> my original MIDI interest was to be able to convert "scores" with the
>>> same/similar format found in the AbstractSound bachFugue examples: to
>>> create
>>> a MIDI file from scratch - not exactly like the MIDIFileWriter example...
>>>
>>> Stéphane pointed out a way to do that in his Mu0 environment... and i am
>>> working on my own version fine-tuned to what i want to do in the way that
>>> makes most sense to me in the environment which i am creating :)
>>>
>>> i also agree that it (Class MIDIFileWriter) should be in the base image,
>>> if
>>> possible.
>> +1
>> or than easily accessible as something like SoundAddons on
>> Squeaksource together with a reference in the 'Extending the System'
>> workspace.
>>
>>> ken
>>>

>>> PS: this brief sort of documentation is very helpful to me.
>>>
>>> a great example imo is the class comment for: KeyboardMorphForInput.
>>>
>>> KeyboardMorphForInput commentStamp:'nice 3/24/2010 07:37' prior:0...
>>>
>>> i do not know who goes by the initials of  'nice' - but whoever it is did
>>> rather decent job. actually extremely well done imo...
>>> and hopefully "someone" could tell me how to search the image for
>>> commentStamps created by 'nice'... that would be....
>>>
>> Nice = Nicolas Cellier
>>
>> --Hannes
>>

> But I didn't write the comment, just replaced _ with :=
>
> Nicolas

I didn't write the comment

Squeak List
Nicolas,

thanks for clarifying :)

--- --- ---

and for anyone,

just looking at: KeyboardMorphForInput commentStamp:'nice 3/24/2010 07:37' prior:0...

i would "guess" that there were 0/ZERO "prior" comments - as in: this is the 1st comment, since there were ZERO prior... but that is obviously incorrect?

here is what i am still hoping for: someone will at least give a useful "hint" at how to search for anything which has a particular "initial/author stamp" - class comments and examples in particular.

if i find that someone made a helpful comment in 1 place, i imagine/hope that the same person has made other similarly helpful comments elsewhere in the system. which may or may not be, but i would at least like to know of a simple way to look through the results of such a search ... is this sort of search something which does not exist?

Thanks,

ken

2010/5/4 Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

> On 5/4/10, Squeak List <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> actually,
>>
>> the class comment for MIDIFileWriter actually works - not very extensive,
>> but is nearly infinitely more useful/interesting than NO comment :) an
>> example of helpful documentation,
> +1
>
> and cheers indeed for code created around
>> 10 ago...AND still working in 4.1 update:10112 !!!
>>
>> thank you Lushi (AKA Yisrael Lowenstein).
>>
>> my original MIDI interest was to be able to convert "scores" with the
>> same/similar format found in the AbstractSound bachFugue examples: to create
>> a MIDI file from scratch - not exactly like the MIDIFileWriter example...
>>
>> Stéphane pointed out a way to do that in his Mu0 environment... and i am
>> working on my own version fine-tuned to what i want to do in the way that
>> makes most sense to me in the environment which i am creating :)
>>
>> i also agree that it (Class MIDIFileWriter) should be in the base image, if
>> possible.
> +1
> or than easily accessible as something like SoundAddons on
> Squeaksource together with a reference in the 'Extending the System'
> workspace.
>
>> ken
>>

>> PS: this brief sort of documentation is very helpful to me.
>>
>> a great example imo is the class comment for: KeyboardMorphForInput.
>>
>> KeyboardMorphForInput commentStamp:'nice 3/24/2010 07:37' prior:0...
>>
>> i do not know who goes by the initials of  'nice' - but whoever it is did a
>> rather decent job. actually extremely well done imo...
>> and hopefully "someone" could tell me how to search the image for
>> commentStamps created by 'nice'... that would be....
>>
> Nice = Nicolas Cellier
>
> --Hannes

But I didn't write the comment, just replaced _ with :=

Nicolas

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Squeak List
Stéphane,

which principles are you asking about? :

1) principles specific to the music itself which i am most interested in and involved with: which goes on no matter how #2 pans out?

or

2) principles specific to making a useful/meaningful/helpful computer
program that makes such effort worth while (meaning that it does exactly
what "i" want it to)... in that particular area/environment (Computer
programming)?

or

3) something else...

ken

> i am working on my own version fine-tuned to what i want to do in the way that makes most sense to me in the environment which i am creating :)

Any pointer about your environment main principles ?

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Stéphane Rollandin
> 1) principles specific to the music itself which i am most interested in and involved with: which goes on no matter how #2 pans out?
>
> or
>
> 2) principles specific to making a useful/meaningful/helpful computer
> program that makes such effort worth while (meaning that it does exactly
> what "i" want it to)... in that particular area/environment (Computer
> programming)?

Both I guess... although 1) may be a somewhat off-topic in Squeak-dev,
while 2) would be food for thought for everyone doing computer-music and
so more appropriate here.

best,

Re: I didn't write the comment

Nicolas Cellier
2010/5/5 Squeak List <[hidden email]>:

> Nicolas,
>
> thanks for clarifying :)
>
> --- --- ---
>
> and for anyone,
>
> just looking at: KeyboardMorphForInput commentStamp:'nice 3/24/2010 07:37' prior:0...
>
> i would "guess" that there were 0/ZERO "prior" comments - as in: this is the 1st comment, since there were ZERO prior... but that is obviously incorrect?
>
> here is what i am still hoping for: someone will at least give a useful "hint" at how to search for anything which has a particular "initial/author stamp" - class comments and examples in particular.
>
> if i find that someone made a helpful comment in 1 place, i imagine/hope that the same person has made other similarly helpful comments elsewhere in the system. which may or may not be, but i would at least like to know of a simple way to look through the results of such a search ... is this sort of search something which does not exist?
>

> Thanks,
>
> ken

It's possible I used a tool for replacing which bypassed prior registration...
Like filing out, replacing, filing in...
Can't remember

Nicolas

Re: Writing a MIDI file?

Squeak List
<> menu in ScorePlayerMorph

just some thoughts... and, i added "save as MIDI file" to the <> menu - which "pretty much" works (considering #2 below).

2 "issues":

1) the <> menu presents a single "option" when it comes to: either "play via MIDI", or "play via built in synth":  i only see 1 option at a time...

imo,  it would (will be) be very nice if (when) that <> menu shows BOTH possibilities and indicated which one is in use right now. it kinda sorta does that right now: but not as obviously as showing BOTH options and somehow making it clear which option you are using "right now"... it is true: i really get lost in the GUI part of squeak programming entirely too easily/often... yet, it seems like this will be handy when other options are added, like: "play via "some sampled sound", or other options which may not be obvious when there is only 1 possibility at a time showing up to "choose from"...

2) and way more important than #1 imo, is that when i switch to "play via midi", the popup choice of instruments (when clicking on "oboe 1") only show the Abstract sound library instruments (AbstractSound sounds inspect) - not the full list of MIDI instruments which i would expect to be available when i deliberately switch from "play via built in synth" to: "play via MIDI"... as in: (SimpleMIDIPort midiInstruments inspect)... it seems like all of the midi instruments would be available after choosing to "play via midi"....

number 2 is the main issue now...

onward

ken

Re: I didn't write the comment