Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

12

Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - has anyone made anything where you can create a full screen presentation in Pharo with slides with some large text, bullet points and embedded pictures - but then it’s a facade that lets you evaluate items in the slide or jump to any code mentioned?

Sort of like what Alan Kay does in the eToys images?

I need to do a presentation next week and I always loved it when I was fooled into thinking I was looking at a static’ish powerpoint and then suddenly realised it was a live environment.

It doesn’t sound that hard to do something simple - but I’m not sure if I can pull it off in time for my presentation. But am curious if we have something.

(For bonus points, GT-Spotter stuff would work in it over top of the presentation to demonstrate simple things)

Tim

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

kilon.alios
Well technically this is easy to do with Morphic. Probably Spec 2. Doing it from inside the Pharo window will give you the ability to demonstrate live code and Morphic is live code.

If you don’t want to do everything with Morphic you can create this in any app of your choosing , export to images and have Morphic load those images. I don’t see why this would take more than a couple of hours to prepare , the actual Morphic code should not take more than 20 minutes.

It a simple case of a SystemWindowMorph embedding a couple of button morph (for going forward and backward) and an ImageMorph. Plus a timer if you want the slides to proceed automatically.

If you feel adventurous you can do this entirely on Morphic , again should not take you more than two hours total together with content creation. TextMorph should be more than enough.

I would have said use Pillar but in this case it’s an overkill and Pillar does not allow for the precise positioning of images like Morphic does.

Tim

Tim

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Tim Mackinnon
Yes I was thinking of something like the morphic approach with a palette for adding buttons, text, images (maybe someone has done a simple vector paint app - didn't think to check).

Of course it quickly gets annoying without a simple template mechanism to have a consistent header/footer - and you also need to try it on a projector and make sure it actually looks right... and so it will take longer than a few hours is my fear (my morphic is a bit rusty too).

Not a horrible amount of work - but I actually need to create my slides and demo so may be a longer term project unless someone has already done it.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Tim

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

kilon.alios
Well if you have a specific template in mind then you can use Pillar and input the final results as images back to Morphic.

Creating a full PowerPoint implementation with Morphic sounds an overkill to me. Why waste all this time when there so many great external solutions ?

Or you even bypass Pillar and go straight to a PowerPoint app, export to jpgs and import to Morphic. Definetly not more than 2 hours work. If you love open source LibreOffice has an excellent presentation app

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/impress/

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 at 01:23, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tim

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Stephane Ducasse-3
I did that (well argh more than 12 years ago) now I do not think that
I can find the code I will try
It looks like I loaded in Pharo some years ago.
Here the latest code I found (At that time I developed test first).
I'm not sure that I will have the time to get a look.

Stef

Morphic-Slideshow-StephaneDucasse.27.mcz (32K) Download Attachment

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Tim Mackinnon
Thanks Stef - I’ll see if I can reincarnate it in the time that I have - if not, maybe this might be my next side project (just need to get my IntelliPharo keybindings over the hill).

It looks like it's just the basics right?

You add morphs in a script I'm guessing from the tests.

Although TextMorph seems broken in Pharo6 in that halos won't let you edit text (walkback) and halos won't let you set text size or bold (they do nothing)? Which is a shame for this kind application - but with Bric maybe it's expected?

Anyway - this gives me a head start.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 2 Nov 2017, at 17:25, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I did that (well argh more than 12 years ago) now I do not think that
> I can find the code I will try
> It looks like I loaded in Pharo some years ago.
> Here the latest code I found (At that time I developed test first).
> I'm not sure that I will have the time to get a look.
>

> Stef
>
>> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 7:35 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi - has anyone made anything where you can create a full screen presentation in Pharo with slides with some large text, bullet points and embedded pictures - but then it’s a facade that lets you evaluate items in the slide or jump to any code mentioned?
>>
>> Sort of like what Alan Kay does in the eToys images?
>>
>> I need to do a presentation next week and I always loved it when I was fooled into thinking I was looking at a static’ish powerpoint and then suddenly realised it was a live environment.
>>
>> It doesn’t sound that hard to do something simple - but I’m not sure if I can pull it off in time for my presentation. But am curious if we have something.
>>
>> (For bonus points, GT-Spotter stuff would work in it over top of the presentation to demonstrate simple things)
>>
>> Tim
> <Morphic-Slideshow-StephaneDucasse.27.mcz>

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 01-11-17 19:35, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Hi - has anyone made anything where you can create a full screen presentation in Pharo with slides with some large text, bullet points and embedded pictures - but then it’s a facade that lets you evaluate items in the slide or jump to any code mentioned?

That is a project I've been toying with in Bloc. Next week is definitely
too early.

Stephan

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DI4w6UcWsAAXfbC.jpg (208K) Download Attachment

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Tim Mackinnon
Cool - great minds think alike ;)

In your photo - there is keynote, are you creating there and then rendering in Pharo - or are you exporting to keynote to had out afterwards?

I was thinking of a little tool palette to let you drop some text and pick some images and store it in pages (like Stef has started doing). I wanted to be able to evaluate expressions in this text to show things in a presentation, and possibly embed methods etc.

As everyone has said, its not rocket science but there is a bit to get right (and doing it in Bloc is actually a very good idea BTW).

Tim

> On 3 Nov 2017, at 11:11, stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 01-11-17 19:35, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
>> Hi - has anyone made anything where you can create a full screen presentation in Pharo with slides with some large text, bullet points and embedded pictures - but then it’s a facade that lets you evaluate items in the slide or jump to any code mentioned?
>
> That is a project I've been toying with in Bloc. Next week is definitely too early.
>
> Stephan
> <https:__pbs.twimg.com_media_DI4w6UcWsAAXfbC.jpg>

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Tim Mackinnon
Ha -actually looking more closely at your photo, it looks like your are doing it in pharo and I’m guessing are bored in a presentation (looking at the background) and recreating the slides from that presentation in Block (on the sly?)…nice

Tim

On 03/11/17 12:33, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> Cool - great minds think alike ;)

:)

> In your photo - there is keynote, are you creating there and then rendering in Pharo - or are you exporting to keynote to had out afterwards?

That was the first experiment. I took a slide from a keynote
presentation I have made and tried reproducing it in Bloc. The quality
of the graphics and typographical support is now good enough to do that.
It is a page from
https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/pharo-50c66685913c

I'm not yet sure how I'd want it integrated with gtInspector, how to
have a slide-specific DSL and what kind of storage format to use.

My Bloc experiments on vimeo are helping me test hypotheses on how I'd
want to work with it. Last week I was distracted by private reasons, the
weeks before that with PharoLauncher, P3, Iceberg...

Interaction between text areas and drag and drop was not yet working as
I wanted it to.

Earlier experiments I've done with a glamour based browser, including
exercises where save would recompile a method and show the results

Stephan

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Stephan you can take a lot of the tests I wrote because I did it test
first to see :)
And yes it would be nice to have play with bloc to do that.
Arghhhh too many exciting things to do.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 12:11 PM, stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01-11-17 19:35, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
>>
>> Hi - has anyone made anything where you can create a full screen
>> presentation in Pharo with slides with some large text, bullet points and
>> embedded pictures - but then it’s a facade that lets you evaluate items in
>> the slide or jump to any code mentioned?
>

> That is a project I've been toying with in Bloc. Next week is definitely too
> early.
>
> Stephan

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Stephane Ducasse-3
I think that this kind of experiences is excellent because this is
exactly the level for Bloc.

Stef

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/11/17 12:33, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
>>
>> Cool - great minds think alike ;)
>

> :)
>
>> In your photo - there is keynote, are you creating there and then
>> rendering in Pharo - or are you exporting to keynote to had out afterwards?
>

> That was the first experiment. I took a slide from a keynote presentation I
> have made and tried reproducing it in Bloc. The quality of the graphics and
> typographical support is now good enough to do that.
> It is a page from
> https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/pharo-50c66685913c
>
> I'm not yet sure how I'd want it integrated with gtInspector, how to have a
> slide-specific DSL and what kind of storage format to use.
>
> My Bloc experiments on vimeo are helping me test hypotheses on how I'd want
> to work with it. Last week I was distracted by private reasons, the weeks
> before that with PharoLauncher, P3, Iceberg...
>
> Interaction between text areas and drag and drop was not yet working as I
> wanted it to.
>
> Earlier experiments I've done with a glamour based browser, including
> exercises where save would recompile a method and show the results
>
> Stephan

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

jrick
I've often used Pharo and Squeak for presentations, particularly when interactive widgets can get me beyond typical presentation stuff. The main hurdle I see in getting a really awesome Pharopoint is that I'd like to have a presenter interface that is different for me the presenter than what the audience sees. Here are some things that come to mind:
(1) Allow me to keep my higher resolution 16x10 aspect ratio screen and present to a 4x3 monitor.
(2) Allow me to keep presenter notes that people can't see.
(3) Allow me a preview of upcoming slides and to jump around.
(4) Make my cursor on the presentation leave a trail, so I can highlight things with my mouse.
From a programming Pharo programming perspective, this stuff isn't hard. Where the rubber hits the road is that Pharo needs to interact with the operating system to set up the two different decoration-less windows, displaying one on the projector and keeping the other one on the laptop. In Powerpoint and the like, getting into this mode is just a button click away. Once that functionality is just a few lines of Smalltalk away, I'm sure we'll see really interesting versions of Pharopoint coming soon after.

Just my two cents,

Jeff

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 12:57 PM Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think that this kind of experiences is excellent because this is
exactly the level for Bloc.

Stef

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 03/11/17 12:33, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
>>
>> Cool - great minds think alike ;)
>

> :)
>
>> In your photo - there is keynote, are you creating there and then
>> rendering in Pharo - or are you exporting to keynote to had out afterwards?
>

> That was the first experiment. I took a slide from a keynote presentation I
> have made and tried reproducing it in Bloc. The quality of the graphics and
> typographical support is now good enough to do that.
> It is a page from
> https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/pharo-50c66685913c
>
> I'm not yet sure how I'd want it integrated with gtInspector, how to have a
> slide-specific DSL and what kind of storage format to use.
>
> My Bloc experiments on vimeo are helping me test hypotheses on how I'd want
> to work with it. Last week I was distracted by private reasons, the weeks
> before that with PharoLauncher, P3, Iceberg...
>
> Interaction between text areas and drag and drop was not yet working as I
> wanted it to.
>
> Earlier experiments I've done with a glamour based browser, including
> exercises where save would recompile a method and show the results
>
> Stephan

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi Tim,

I did a presentation long time ago (for Squeak Fest 2007) using Etoys (in fact I knew little more that Etoys for teaching, modeling and programming in Smalltalk, and after that, my Smalltalk learning/practice froze until 2014!). Of course, is not what you're looking for, because is not Pharo based, but may be it can give you some ideas. You can download the image from [1] and run it using Squeak 4., from Squeakland, at [2]. Below you can see some screenshots of such presentation, including running a simulation inside it.

[1] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/offray-maestria-tesis/home
[2] http://www.squeakland.org/download/

For my early days, when I discovered Smalltalk back in 2006, to my return 3 years ago, it has been kind of strange to see Smalltalkers making presentations about dynamic mediums using static slides (and not much have changed in 10 years!). I would like to explore using mind mapping as a way of making presentations in Pharo (to support my usual way of presentation using Freeplane[3]).

[3] http://freeplane.org/

Cheers,

Offray

On 01/11/17 13:35, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
Hi - has anyone made anything where you can create a full screen presentation in Pharo with slides with some large text, bullet points and embedded pictures - but then it’s a facade that lets you evaluate items in the slide or jump to any code mentioned?

Sort of like what Alan Kay does in the eToys images?

I need to do a presentation next week and I always loved it when I was fooled into thinking I was looking at a static’ish powerpoint and then suddenly realised it was a live environment.

It doesn’t sound that hard to do something simple - but I’m not sure if I can pull it off in time for my presentation. But am curious if we have something.

(For bonus points, GT-Spotter stuff would work in it over top of the presentation to demonstrate simple things)

Tim

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

aglynn42

I’ll be honest,  when I had to do presentations I cheated and used Director.  Granted that was long enough ago that it was still Macromedia Director …

Andrew

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

cid:part1.D1134DC0.29DFC3C6@mutabit.com

cid:part2.15AB34DD.CAFEDEB6@mutabit.com

cid:part3.B864B90A.A827C38A@mutabit.com

[...]

Hannes Hirzel
On 11/1/17, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi - has anyone made anything where you can create a full screen
> presentation in Pharo with slides with some large text, bullet points and
> embedded pictures - but then it’s a facade that lets you evaluate items in
> the slide or jump to any code mentioned?
>
> Sort of like what Alan Kay does in the eToys images?
>
> I need to do a presentation next week and I always loved it when I was
> fooled into thinking I was looking at a static’ish powerpoint and then
> suddenly realised it was a live environment.
>
> It doesn’t sound that hard to do something simple - but I’m not sure if I
> can pull it off in time for my presentation. But am curious if we have
> something.
>
> (For bonus points, GT-Spotter stuff would work in it over top of the
> presentation to demonstrate simple things)
>
> Tim
Hello Tim

Depending on what you want to show it might be doable to use

       Torsten Bergmanns Desktop manager package

available through the catalog.

Create a sequence of desktops and switch between them with

      Ctrl + D + N   (next)
      Ctrl + D + P   (previous)

Use

      StandardFonts setDemoFonts

to have the tools showing font sizes which are readable.

To go back to regular fonts use

     StandardFonts restoreDefaultFonts.

There is the Desktops Overview (Ctrl + D + O) which gives you an
inspector in order to quickly switch to another desktop.

It would be nicer to have the left inspector column be smaller but
that would involve some configuration. Maybe it is necessary that you
write your own specific GT inspector for the desktops.

With this a simple presentation should be doable. Besides the regular
tools just use StringMorphs with a large font. Some preconfigures
buttons to execute specific commands might also be useful.

More feature rich presentations could be done with a DSL.

One option is to use Pillar. MOOC slides have been done with Pillar
[1], see thread

    '[Pillar] Pillar source code of ESUG 2015 presentation?
Presentations done with Pillar?'

The rendering within in Pharo is not fully implemented yet.  The
thread 'Morphic renderer for Pillar?' has a  start which might be
sufficient. I think I have some more not yet put into the repo....

A third option would be to continue working on reimplementing a
bookmorph / slide show / presentation  or something similar as in
Squeak and/or Etoys [2]

-- Hannes

[1] An example presentation in Pillar syntax

https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoMooc/blob/master/Slides/Week3/C019-W3S03-Basic-Variables.pillar

Slide titles start and end with a dollar sign

     ${slide:title=In a Nutshell}$

[2] Current Etoys efforts
     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6531
     Ideas and/or part of the code might be reused and adapted.

Pharo_Smalltalk_Inspector_on_a_DesktopManager_2017-11-07.png (151K) Download Attachment

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

cedreek
I also think that would be nice to have. With tool like pillar, graphiscopio, that would be a really great option !
Org-mode generate Beamer’s présentation but we could have much better ^^

And as someone said I also think that would be cool to have a kind of présenter screen.

To me the simple way would be to use seamless (or telepharo) to communicate between two pharo images: one displaying, one organizing.

My 2 cents ^^

Cedrick

> [...]
> thread 'Morphic renderer for Pillar?' has a  start which might be
> sufficient. I think I have some more not yet put into the repo....
>
> A third option would be to continue working on reimplementing a
> bookmorph / slide show / presentation  or something similar as in
> Squeak and/or Etoys [2]
>
> -- Hannes
>

> [1] An example presentation in Pillar syntax
>
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoMooc/blob/master/Slides/Week3/C019-W3S03-Basic-Variables.pillar
>
> Slide titles start and end with a dollar sign
>
>     ${slide:title=In a Nutshell}$
>

> [2] Current Etoys efforts
>     http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6531
>     Ideas and/or part of the code might be reused and adapted.
> <Pharo_Smalltalk_Inspector_on_a_DesktopManager_2017-11-07.png>

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Hannes Hirzel wrote
> Create a sequence of desktops and switch between them with

That's an interesting idea and holds most true to the Dynabook/Smalltalk
principle of keeping the full power of the computer at every level.

Hannes Hirzel wrote
> One option is to use Pillar. MOOC slides have been done with Pillar

That would be more pink plane with the advantage of being more
searchable/reproducible and the disadvantage of being restricted to standard
(mostly?)-static content.

Hannes Hirzel wrote
> A third option would be to continue working on reimplementing a
> bookmorph / slide show / presentation  or something similar as in
> Squeak and/or Etoys [2]

That would be ideal, but would require some work. This combined with the
suggestion from this thread to have both a presenter image and presentation
image seems to cover the OP request.

As a workaround for now, it seems #1 gets you much of the way there.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
This is a very demoralizing thread ...

For example, take a look at Smalltalk-78, brought back to life a few years
ago by Dan Ingalls, Bert Freudenberg, Ted Kaehler, myself, et al from a disk
pack thrown on the trash by Xerox.
https://youtu.be/AnrlSqtpOkw?t=135

Part of the motivation, besides the fun of it, was to make a tribute video
for Ted Nelson's "Intertwingled" in 2015.

I did all the visuals -- which included "slides", dynamics, live coding,
etc. -- in Smalltalk-78. I used the Dorado screen format

This was also historically interesting because it was Smalltalk-78 that
Steve Jobs saw in his famous visit to Parc the next year in 1979.

(So what is the big problem with doing something better than PPT in Pharo?)

And, in fact, it is also quite demoralizing to have to use this !@#$%
non-WYSIWYG horrible web editor to make this comment ....

Cheers

Alan

12