Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

12

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 07-11-17 19:38, alanone1 via Pharo-users wrote:
> (So what is the big problem with doing something better than PPT in
> Pharo?)

Lots of tiny things, resulting in presentations not looking very good.
I have done a lot of workshops with glamour based browsers, integrating
(visualization) exercises in the glamour browser just mapping them to
methods. It works well and is easy to do. And the font metrics were not
correct, not supporting ligatures and kerning. There was a lack of
support for adding media in an easy-to-distribute format, no support for
multiple monitors, no HiDPI display support, bad support for rotating
text and scaling without artifacts. And in Pharo the continuous change
resulting in each workshop needing fixing each time I gave it, and the
lack of widespread morphic knowledge and slow and slightly uncoordinated
removal of features that were seen as unmaintainable and or not used.

So I'm very happy that finally a lot of the things I've been waiting for
are now coming together and I can switch to the easier problem :)

 > And, in fact, it is also quite demoralizing to have to use this !@#$%
 > non-WYSIWYG horrible web editor to make this comment ....

I use thunderbird and news.gmane.org to avoid that.

Stephan

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
For my workshops I use Grafoscopio (of course ;-P). Having a document
like structure that can contain interactive playgrounds in a tree to
give them context is pretty useful in such educational/explanatory
contexts. Once I have time again (i.e. after finishing to write my PhD
thesis) I hope to make some test on extending that via a mind map alike
UI that can be used also for presentations. The idea of slides seems
pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.

Cheers,

Offray

On 07/11/17 15:01, stephan wrote:

> On 07-11-17 19:38, alanone1 via Pharo-users wrote:
>> (So what is the big problem with doing something better than PPT in
>> Pharo?)
>
> Lots of tiny things, resulting in presentations not looking very good.
> I have done a lot of workshops with glamour based browsers,
> integrating (visualization) exercises in the glamour browser just
> mapping them to methods. It works well and is easy to do. And the font
> metrics were not correct, not supporting ligatures and kerning. There
> was a lack of support for adding media in an easy-to-distribute
> format, no support for multiple monitors, no HiDPI display support,
> bad support for rotating text and scaling without artifacts. And in
> Pharo the continuous change resulting in each workshop needing fixing
> each time I gave it, and the lack of widespread morphic knowledge and
> slow and slightly uncoordinated removal of features that were seen as
> unmaintainable and or not used.
>
> So I'm very happy that finally a lot of the things I've been waiting
> for are now coming together and I can switch to the easier problem :)
>
> > And, in fact, it is also quite demoralizing to have to use this !@#$%
> > non-WYSIWYG horrible web editor to make this comment ....
>
> I use thunderbird and news.gmane.org to avoid that.
>
> Stephan

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
> The idea of slides seems
> pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.

Amen, brother! Alan Kay would be proud :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

On 07/11/17 19:39, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> The idea of slides seems
>> pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.
> Amen, brother! Alan Kay would be proud :)

Maybe. I refer the whole aesthetics of slides (even the ones with
animations or simulations). You go in slide at the time, bullet point by
bullet point, loosing context and perspective. My usual approach is mind
maps. In [1] you can see the exported SVG version of the one I use in a
Grafoscopio workshop. Source code is in [2].

[1]
http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.svg
[2]
http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.mm

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

aglynn42

I agree with you – on the rare occasions I do still do presentations I tend to use CompendiumNG, which is similar to a mind map but can contain any content, including multimedia content.  It was an Open University project but was used sufficiently elsewhere that when the Open University decided they were done with it the project was forked and continued by others.

It’s written in Java, currently I believe there’s no binary although it’s easy to build.  If you just wanted the installer jar to try it out though let me know.

Honestly though I’d probably still use Director if it weren’t for Adobe’s pricing.

Andrew Glynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 07/11/17 19:39, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

>> The idea of slides seems

>> pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.

> Amen, brother! Alan Kay would be proud :)

Maybe. I refer the whole aesthetics of slides (even the ones with

animations or simulations). You go in slide at the time, bullet point by

bullet point, loosing context and perspective. My usual approach is mind

maps. In [1] you can see the exported SVG version of the one I use in a

Grafoscopio workshop. Source code is in [2].

[1]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.svg

[2]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.mm

Cheers,

Offray

On 07/11/17 19:39, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

>> The idea of slides seems

>> pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.

> Amen, brother! Alan Kay would be proud :)

Maybe. I refer the whole aesthetics of slides (even the ones with

animations or simulations). You go in slide at the time, bullet point by

bullet point, loosing context and perspective. My usual approach is mind

maps. In [1] you can see the exported SVG version of the one I use in a

Grafoscopio workshop. Source code is in [2].

[1]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.svg

[2]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.mm

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

aglynn42

I was thinking of using it more for ideas of what works / what doesn’t.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 07/11/17 19:39, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

>> The idea of slides seems

>> pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.

> Amen, brother! Alan Kay would be proud :)

Maybe. I refer the whole aesthetics of slides (even the ones with

animations or simulations). You go in slide at the time, bullet point by

bullet point, loosing context and perspective. My usual approach is mind

maps. In [1] you can see the exported SVG version of the one I use in a

Grafoscopio workshop. Source code is in [2].

[1]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.svg

[2]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.mm

Cheers,

Offray

On 07/11/17 19:39, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

>> The idea of slides seems

>> pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.

> Amen, brother! Alan Kay would be proud :)

Maybe. I refer the whole aesthetics of slides (even the ones with

animations or simulations). You go in slide at the time, bullet point by

bullet point, loosing context and perspective. My usual approach is mind

maps. In [1] you can see the exported SVG version of the one I use in a

Grafoscopio workshop. Source code is in [2].

[1]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.svg

[2]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.mm

Cheers,

Offray

On 07/11/17 19:39, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

>> The idea of slides seems

>> pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.

> Amen, brother! Alan Kay would be proud :)

Maybe. I refer the whole aesthetics of slides (even the ones with

animations or simulations). You go in slide at the time, bullet point by

bullet point, loosing context and perspective. My usual approach is mind

maps. In [1] you can see the exported SVG version of the one I use in a

Grafoscopio workshop. Source code is in [2].

[1]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.svg

[2]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.mm

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

aglynn42

Lol, you can joke from where you are, my father-in-law firmly believes I’m a member of the “Illuminati” due to having gone to Jesuit seminaries until the end of secondary school.

Then again, it makes him more polite since he’s a bit scared of me, so I suppose it has its benefits …

Andrew

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 07/11/17 19:39, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

>> The idea of slides seems

>> pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.

> Amen, brother! Alan Kay would be proud :)

Maybe. I refer the whole aesthetics of slides (even the ones with

animations or simulations). You go in slide at the time, bullet point by

bullet point, loosing context and perspective. My usual approach is mind

maps. In [1] you can see the exported SVG version of the one I use in a

Grafoscopio workshop. Source code is in [2].

[1]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.svg

[2]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.mm

Cheers,

Offray

On 07/11/17 19:39, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

>> The idea of slides seems

>> pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.

> Amen, brother! Alan Kay would be proud :)

Maybe. I refer the whole aesthetics of slides (even the ones with

animations or simulations). You go in slide at the time, bullet point by

bullet point, loosing context and perspective. My usual approach is mind

maps. In [1] you can see the exported SVG version of the one I use in a

Grafoscopio workshop. Source code is in [2].

[1]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.svg

[2]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.mm

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

aglynn42

Search and ye shall receive! … Or find, or whatever …

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfFFI';
    load.

    ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfFFI) project latestVersion) load.

    Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'SophieGoldDig';
        package: 'SpdQT';
        load.

Warning, this was last tested as far as I can tell in Pharo 1.1.1.

Andrew

On 07/11/17 19:39, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote

>> The idea of slides seems

>> pretty anachronistic/boring for making presentations.

> Amen, brother! Alan Kay would be proud :)

Maybe. I refer the whole aesthetics of slides (even the ones with

animations or simulations). You go in slide at the time, bullet point by

bullet point, loosing context and perspective. My usual approach is mind

maps. In [1] you can see the exported SVG version of the one I use in a

Grafoscopio workshop. Source code is in [2].

[1]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.svg

[2]

http://mutabit.com/grafoscopio/Docs/En/Talks/Overview/grafoscopio-mapa.mm

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Marcus Denker-4

On 9 Nov 2017, at 14:22, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sophie looked very promising... Unfortunately it was not open source and died before porting it to Java (following the Illuminati conspiracy of porting Smalltalk break througts to "inferior" technology, as happens once and again :-P).

Sophie was one of the reason I got so, umm, upset? about Squeak… I mean even though the project failed, the results where on a level that
they could have been used to improve Squeak quite radically. All the base technology was more or less finished and working
(maybe a bit complex at times, cf. Tweak…).

I still do not understand why everyone back then had this “Squeak is untouchable, you can only build on top or you are an evil person” view
of the world.

Just imagine the people who did Sophie would have done their work by *contributing* to Squeak in a serious way (in the sense of evolving it into the next
thing). The resulting system would have been amazing.

The fact that Sophie failed as a project would have been not important *at all*.
You could finance an amazing platform by just doing failed projects. As long as you do them open source and feed back the results.

The same happened with everything Etoys, with everything Croquet. And even though there where people working on all these things
at the same time. To me this is a mystery. It made no sense, at all.

Marcus

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

aglynn42

People mistake my notion of a platform having a stable core so that it can be built on, with never changing that core one bit.  A stable, evolving core is precisely what allows rapid and flexible new product improvement.

Wasn’t that the whole point of deprecation rather than replacement?  It gives developers of a given product a version or two to update their code when the base evolves.

It’s a mystery to me overall though, as well.

Andrew

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Hannes Hirzel
On 11/3/17, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/11/17 12:33, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
>> Cool - great minds think alike ;)
>
> :)
>
>> In your photo - there is keynote, are you creating there and then
>> rendering in Pharo - or are you exporting to keynote to had out
>> afterwards?
>
> That was the first experiment. I took a slide from a keynote
> presentation I have made and tried reproducing it in Bloc. The quality
> of the graphics and typographical support is now good enough to do that.
> It is a page from
> https://medium.com/concerning-pharo/pharo-50c66685913c

Is the code available somewhere?

> I'm not yet sure how I'd want it integrated with gtInspector, how to
> have a slide-specific DSL and what kind of storage format to use.
>
> My Bloc experiments on vimeo are helping me test hypotheses on how I'd
> want to work with it.

Links to the videos?

Thanks in advance
Hannes

> Last week I was distracted by private reasons, the
> weeks before that with PharoLauncher, P3, Iceberg...
>
> Interaction between text areas and drag and drop was not yet working as
> I wanted it to.
>
> Earlier experiments I've done with a glamour based browser, including
> exercises where save would recompile a method and show the results
>
> Stephan

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Marcus Denker-4

>> My Bloc experiments on vimeo are helping me test hypotheses on how I'd
>> want to work with it.
>
> Links to the videos?

Creating Bloc Widgets in Pharo
        https://vimeo.com/235934701
Creating Bloc Widgets in Pharo 2: ColorPanel
        https://vimeo.com/236419682

I will add that to the next Monthly pharo newsletter, too.

        Marcus

On 10-11-17 12:06, H. Hirzel wrote:
> Is the code available somewhere?

I've been fighting somewhat with Iceberg, and using fast-changing
functionality in Bloc. I'm integrating the experiments and will provide
a link then.

Stephan

Re: Writing "powerpoint" like presentations in Pharo?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi stefan

I'm interested. So if you want that I do code review and ask super
dumb questions let me know.

Stef

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 1:12 PM, stephan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10-11-17 12:06, H. Hirzel wrote:
>>
>> Is the code available somewhere?
>

> I've been fighting somewhat with Iceberg, and using fast-changing
> functionality in Bloc. I'm integrating the experiments and will provide a
> link then.
>
> Stephan

12