Wrong icons displayed in taskbar for Dolphin Smalltalk

Wrong icons displayed in taskbar for Dolphin Smalltalk

Yar Hwee Boon-3
Hi all

Has anyone seem something like the taskbar at
http://motionobj.com/dolphin-taskbar-icons-colors.png ? Notice the 3rd
and 4th buttons in the taskbar should be class browsers but the wrong
icons are shown. Any idea why it is happening? I can't seem to
reproduce it reliably, but when it happens, I see it right away upon
startup. Using v5.1.4

Hwee Boon

Re: Wrong icons displayed in taskbar for Dolphin Smalltalk

Chris Uppal-3
Yar Hwee Boon wrote:

> Has anyone seem something like the taskbar at
> http://motionobj.com/dolphin-taskbar-icons-colors.png ? Notice the 3rd
> and 4th buttons in the taskbar should be class browsers but the wrong
> icons are shown. Any idea why it is happening? I can't seem to
> reproduce it reliably, but when it happens, I see it right away upon
> startup. Using v5.1.4

I've been noticing something similar for a couple of months.  Some of my tools'
icons are sometimes replaced by the Dolphin icon.  I can't reproduce it
reliably either.  It can be "fixed" by resetting the window's icon:
    self largeIcon: self largeIcon
or something like that.

I don't know exactly when it started happening, but it was long after Dolphin
5.1 was first installed on this machine (XP Pro), and long before pl3 or 4 was
added (which I only did about a week ago).  I don't know if it happens on W2K,
I haven't noticed it, but I don't use the W2K machines for programming much
anymore.

It's not a significant problem -- trivial, in fact -- but it'd be nice to know
why it's started happening.

    -- chris

"Chris Uppal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:

> It's not a significant problem -- trivial, in fact -- but it'd be nice to know
> why it's started happening.

Agreed that its trivial in most cases, but has anyone seen it take
effect in ToGo apps? I'm on XP too.

Hwee Boon

Re: Wrong icons displayed in taskbar for Dolphin Smalltalk

Bill Schwab-2
Chris,

> I don't know exactly when it started happening, but it was long after
Dolphin
> 5.1 was first installed on this machine (XP Pro), and long before pl3 or 4
was
> added (which I only did about a week ago).  I don't know if it happens on
W2K,
> I haven't noticed it, but I don't use the W2K machines for programming
much
> anymore.

Sorry to have to mention this, but in addition to Dolphin,Windows is
changing too.  Well, if it's not, perhaps a virus is the cause of your
problems =:0  Since late last year, I have had a few really ugly problems
appear and then as suddenly disappear, and I really can't explain them other
than to suspect that Microsoft added new bugs, and then fixed them in
subsequent updates.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Yar Hwee Boon wrote:

> has anyone seen it take effect in ToGo apps?

I haven't.

But then it might be difficult to tell since my deployed apps nearly always use
the same icon for the application itself and for the window(s).

    -- chris

Re: Wrong icons displayed in taskbar for Dolphin Smalltalk

Chris Uppal-3
Bill,

> Sorry to have to mention this, but in addition to Dolphin,Windows is
> changing too.

Yes, that's a real possibility.

Although...

> Since late last year, I have had a few really ugly problems
> appear and then as suddenly disappear

...I haven't noticed anything like that.  I'm pretty paranoid about my
machines, /and/ something of a control-freak, so I rarely just shrug off
anomalous behaviour ;-)

    -- chris

Re: Wrong icons displayed in taskbar for Dolphin Smalltalk

Christopher J. Demers
"Yar Hwee Boon" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Has anyone seem something like the taskbar at
> http://motionobj.com/dolphin-taskbar-icons-colors.png ? Notice the 3rd
> and 4th buttons in the taskbar should be class browsers but the wrong
> icons are shown. Any idea why it is happening? I can't seem to
> reproduce it reliably, but when it happens, I see it right away upon
> startup. Using v5.1.4

Yes, I have also experienced this problem for some time, probably even with
D4.  It makes it harder for me to visually find windows when I have a lot
open.

Chris

Re: Wrong icons displayed in taskbar for Dolphin Smalltalk

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Chris,

>>Since late last year, I have had a few really ugly problems
>>appear and then as suddenly disappear
>

> ...I haven't noticed anything like that.  I'm pretty paranoid about my
> machines, /and/ something of a control-freak, so I rarely just shrug off
> anomalous behaviour ;-)

It's not a matter of shrugging them off - they just stopped happening,
shortly after I applied the (then) latest set of updates.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Wrong icons displayed in taskbar for Dolphin Smalltalk

Blair McGlashan
"Yar Hwee Boon" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Hi all
>
> Has anyone seem something like the taskbar at
> http://motionobj.com/dolphin-taskbar-icons-colors.png ? Notice the 3rd
> and 4th buttons in the taskbar should be class browsers but the wrong
> icons are shown. Any idea why it is happening? I can't seem to
> reproduce it reliably, but when it happens, I see it right away upon
> startup. Using v5.1.4

I have seen this occassionally, but it appears to be due to some decision
that Windows is making. The reason I say that is because when using the XP
desktop, which groups the application icons into a "menu", if one closes and
reopens the group "menu", then the icons return to normal. Since the icons
are supplied statically at Window creation time, and opening the group
doesn't cause the icons to be re-requested. They are held in instance
variables so they cannot be GC'd. To date I haven't been able to think of a
way that Dolphin could be causing this, except for the vague idea that
perhaps it is not responding fast enough to some message and so Windows just
uses the default application icon. Any more sensible ideas will be
gratefully received.

Regards

Blair

Blair McGlashan wrote:

> To date I haven't been able to
> think of a way that Dolphin could be causing this, except for the vague
> idea that perhaps it is not responding fast enough to some message and so
> Windows just uses the default application icon. Any more sensible ideas
> will be gratefully received.

Something to do with the WM_GETICON notification perhaps ?  I'm no Windows
expert, but I don't think that Dolphin has an explicit handler for it, and from
the documentation:

    Parameters
        wParam
            Specifies the type of icon being retrieved. This parameter can
            be one of the following values.
            ICON_BIG
                Retrieve the large icon for the window.
            ICON_SMALL
                Retrieve the small icon for the window.
            ICON_SMALL2
                Windows XP: Retrieves the small icon provided by the
                application. If the application does not provide one, the
                system uses the system-generated icon for that window.
        lParam
            This parameter is not used.

the enigmatic ICON_SMALL2 value looks a bit suspect.

    -- chris