Wrong version loaded using Metacello

Jan Kurš
Hi All,

In ConfigurationOfPetitParser, there is a stable version 1.10 for Pharo 3.0 which says to load version PetitIndent.JanKurs.1.

version110: spec
    <version: '1.10' imports: #('1.6-baseline' )>

    spec for: #'common' do: [

    ..
    package: 'PetitIndent' with: 'PetitIndent-JanKurs.1';
    ..

Yet, if I load the stable version from Pharo 3.0:

Gofer new smalltalkhubUser: 'Moose' project: 'PetitParser';
    configurationOf: #PetitParser; load.
(ConfigurationOfPetitParser project version: '1.10') load.

I got PetitIndent.JanKurs.11 loaded, which is very unfortunate, since other packages are kept old.

Does anyone knows why is this?

Cheers,
Jan

Re: Wrong version loaded using Metacello

Dale Henrichs-3
Jan,

I would really like to see the Transcript output for this load .... also I'd like to know which mcz version of ConfigurationOfPetitParser you are using ... I can guess, but there are often a number of different versions of configurations floating around and I don't want to waste time on a version that does not match the one that you are having trouble with ...

Dale

On 04/04/2015 03:01 AM, Jan Kurš wrote:
[...]

Hi Dale,

One can reproduce the behaviour by evaluating this in Pharo 3 or Pharo 4 image:

Gofer new smalltalkhubUser: 'Moose' project: 'PetitParser';
    configurationOf: #PetitParser; load.

(ConfigurationOfPetitParser project version: '1.10') load.

The first command loads (in my case) ConfigurationOfPetitParser (JanKurs.68)

When I evaluate:
(ConfigurationOfPetitParser project version: '1.10') record asString.

I get:
a MetacelloNullRecordingMCSpecLoader(linear load :
    linear load : 1.10 [ConfigurationOfPetitParser]
        load : ConfigurationOfGlamour
    atomic load : 1.10 [ConfigurationOfPetitParser]
        load : PetitParser-JanKurs.262
        load : PetitTests-JanKurs.67
        load : PetitIslands-JanKurs.18
        load : PetitIndent-JanKurs.1
        load : Factorial-Language-lr.6
        explicit load : Glamour
            load : ConfigurationOfGlamour-AndreiChis.203
        linear load : 3.0.6 [ConfigurationOfGlamour]

Yet if I really load, the transcript shows (see the full transcript in the attachement):

Fetched -> ConfigurationOfGlamour-AndreiChis.203 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Glamour/main/ --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Glamour/main/
Loaded -> ConfigurationOfGlamour-AndreiChis.203 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/Glamour/main/ --- /home/kursjan/tmp/pharo16/package-cache
Fetched -> PetitParser-JanKurs.262 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/PetitParser/main/ --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/PetitParser/main/
Fetched -> PetitTests-JanKurs.67 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/PetitParser/main/ --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/PetitParser/main/
Fetched -> PetitIndent-JanKurs.11 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/PetitParser/main/ --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/PetitParser/main/

Jan

transcript-pp-version110.txt (21K) Download Attachment

Re: Wrong version loaded using Metacello

Dale Henrichs-3
Jan,

This looks like a bug in MetacelloGoferPackage>>matches: ...  I've submitted a bug[1] and will work on getting a patch out as soon as I can ... I am a bit surprised that this particular bug has remained hidden (or unreported) for so long, but it is a good find ... thanks for provided the details I needed to identify the problem ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/issues/339

On 04/07/2015 09:08 AM, Jan Kurš wrote:
[...]

I believe that I've fixed the bug [1], but of course the proof will be in the pudding:) So If you could run the following Metacello update script in your image (this will work in pharo3.0 or pharo4.0) and make sure it works for you:

Metacello new
  baseline: 'Metacello';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
  get.
Metacello new
  baseline: 'Metacello';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
  onConflict: [:ex | ex allow];
  load

The proper package was loaded for me in my test in Pharo3.0:

    Loaded -> PetitIndent-JanKurs.1 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Moose/PetitParser/main/ --- cache

On 04/08/2015 12:14 AM, Jan Kurš wrote:
[...]

That works for me! Do you have any idea, when will this fix appear in Pharo?

Thank you for fixing this!
Cheers,
Jan

On 9 April 2015 at 04:33, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That's a question for the Pharo folks... I don't htink they've been in the habit of picking up the latest Metacello release, but I think they do plan to change that practice in Pharo5.0 ...

Dale