X6 Beta 2 PL2

Andy Bower-3
Folks,

We've released a Patch Level 2 for Beta 2. Unfortunately, the number of
changes are too large to apply by Live Update (well not actually too
large for the LU mechanism itself but, rather, it would take too long
to organise the patch file). Hence, you'll have to download a new for
release from the website.

I've updated the Release Notes and Outstanding Bugs documents so you
can see what changes are present. There are also a number of quite
serious issues that David Gorisek has fixed in STS but haven't yet been
entered into the bug system so don't appear in the Release Notes.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: X6 Beta 2 PL2

Chris Uppal-3
Andy,

> We've released a Patch Level 2 for Beta 2. Unfortunately, the number of
> changes are too large to apply by Live Update (well not actually too
> large for the LU mechanism itself but, rather, it would take too long
> to organise the patch file). Hence, you'll have to download a new for
> release from the website.

I've just donwloaded and installed this, but it seems that typing Ctrl+S in a
CHB method pane is interpretted by Scintilla as a request to insert that
character rather than save the method.

I'll investigate further...

    -- chris

Re: X6 Beta 2 PL2

Chris Uppal-3
I wrote

> I've just donwloaded and installed this, but it seems that typing Ctrl+S
> in a CHB method pane is interpretted by Scintilla as a request to insert
> that character rather than save the method.
>
> I'll investigate further...

It's not as pervasive as it seemed at first.  It only seems to happen if a
file-save dialog (or other CommonDialog) is open at the same time.

To reproduce:

Open a workspace.  Open another workspace.
In one type Ctrl+S to bring up a file-save-dialog; leave it open.
In the other type Ctrl+S, and DC3 is displayed white-on-red.

I'll submit a bug report later.

    -- chris

Re: X6 Beta 2 PL2

Blair McGlashan
"Chris Uppal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Open a workspace.  Open another workspace.
> In one type Ctrl+S to bring up a file-save-dialog; leave it open.
> In the other type Ctrl+S, and DC3 is displayed white-on-red.
>
> I'll submit a bug report later.

Chris, don't bother. This has always been the case - when you have a system
dialog open, Dolphin loses control of the message loop, and so is unable to
process its own accelerators. Short of making the system dialogs modal to
the whole application, we've been unable to come up with any solution to
this in the 10 years of Dolphin's existence, so I'm not hopeful of finding a
fix now, sorry.

Regards

Blair

Re: X6 Beta 2 PL2

Chris Uppal-3
Blair,

> > Open a workspace.  Open another workspace.
> > In one type Ctrl+S to bring up a file-save-dialog; leave it open.
> > In the other type Ctrl+S, and DC3 is displayed white-on-red.
> >
> > I'll submit a bug report later.
>
> Chris, don't bother. This has always been the case - when you have a
> system dialog open,

So it is !   Well I never...

In fact I've just found a post of yours from way back in Nov '97 discussing
just this point.

> Dolphin loses control of the message loop, and so is
> unable to process its own accelerators. Short of making the system
> dialogs modal to the whole application, we've been unable to come up with
> any solution to this in the 10 years of Dolphin's existence, so I'm not
> hopeful of finding a fix now, sorry.

If I haven't noticed it in the years I've been using Dolphin, then I don't
think I can convincingly claim that it's a problem ;-)

Just for curiosity, what's wrong with using overlapped calls here ?  I just
gave it a quick try and it seems to sort of work -- in the sense that I think
the dialog box and Dolphin then end up competing for mouse input, however
accelerators /do/ work...  Perhaps the message loop could be modified to avoid
that -- not that I'm claiming to have any idea how to do it.

    -- chris

Re: X6 Beta 2 PL2

Blair McGlashan
"Chris Uppal" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Just for curiosity, what's wrong with using overlapped calls here ?  I
> just
> gave it a quick try and it seems to sort of work -- in the sense that I
> think
> the dialog box and Dolphin then end up competing for mouse input, however
> accelerators /do/ work...  Perhaps the message loop could be modified to
> avoid
> that -- not that I'm claiming to have any idea how to do it.

This was investigated, and in fact non-task modal message boxes (i.e. normal
ones) do work that way. However as I recall it caused some problems with the
common dialogs. Can't remember the details though, and might only have been
on Win9x.

Regards

Blair