Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

XFont problems using X-Win32

BREITH Karl-Albert (AREVA)

Some colleagues of mine are using X-Win32 as terminal emulator to connect to Linux boxes.

They have problems when Smalltalk (VW7.10) on those boxes tries to create a new font.

I am using EXCEED (and have no X-Win available) and never had such a problem.

Is there anybody out there who knows about that problem and can point me to the reason and/or a solution/workaround ?

Karl

Trace:

Cause of Dump: Unhandled exception: a primitive has failed

[1]          Screen(Object)>>error:

[2]          Screen(Object)>>primitiveFailed

[3]          Screen>>primAllocateFontNamed:

[4]          Screen>>allocateFontNamed:

[5]          Screen(HostGraphicsDevice)>>fontNamed:fromClass:encoding:

[6]          XFont class>>createFont:toResemble:on:

Karl Breith
AREVA GmbH
FDN-G

Postfach 1109
91001 Erlangen

Phone:   +49 (0) 9131 900 95544    

Fax:      +49 (0) 9131 900 94081                

mail to:  [hidden email]  

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Philippe Knoche - Geschäftsführer: Stefan vom Scheidt, Carsten Haferkamp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Erlangen - Registergericht: Fürth, HRB 7817 -
www.areva.com - Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE 206407096 

Supervisory Board Chairman: Philippe Knoche - Managing Directors: Stefan vom Scheidt, Carsten Haferkamp
Company Seat: Erlangen - Commercial Registries Fürth, HRB 7817 -
www.areva.com - VAT ID code: DE 206407096

Wichtiger Hinweis: Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse bzw. sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank.

Important Note: This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: XFont problems using X-Win32

Michael van der Gulik-2
On modern Linux systems, you need to specifically install the old fonts to make VW work.

Modern fonts on X11 are done using the XRender extension where the fonts are actually rendered by the application rather than the server. 

However, originally X11 fonts were part of the X11 server (i.e. your X-Win32). They are either accessed from a bunch of local fonts files on the same machine as X-Win32, or via a font server. xfs is a font server that comes with Linux.

I suspect this is the cause of your problem. The solutions are:

1) Nag the VW team to implement modern fonts using, e.g., freetype.

or 

2) Install some fonts for X-Win32 to use, 

or 

3) Install xfs on Linux and configure X-Win32 to use it as a font server.

or

4) Use another X server. Try XMing. Alternatively, try Xvnc on linux and a vnc client on Windows, or Xrdp on Linux and a RDP client on windows.

or

5) Run VW on windows.

Cheers,
Michael.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:33 AM, BREITH Karl-Albert (AREVA) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Some colleagues of mine are using X-Win32 as terminal emulator to connect to Linux boxes.

They have problems when Smalltalk (VW7.10) on those boxes tries to create a new font.

Is there anybody out there who knows about that problem and can point me to the reason and/or a solution/workaround ?

Karl

Trace:

Cause of Dump: Unhandled exception: a primitive has failed

[1]          Screen(Object)>>error:

[2]          Screen(Object)>>primitiveFailed

[3]          Screen>>primAllocateFontNamed:

[4]          Screen>>allocateFontNamed:

[5]          Screen(HostGraphicsDevice)>>fontNamed:fromClass:encoding:

[6]          XFont class>>createFont:toResemble:on:

Karl Breith
AREVA GmbH
FDN-G

Postfach 1109
91001 Erlangen

Phone:   <a href="tel:%2B49%20%280%29%209131%20900%2095544" value="+49913190095544" target="_blank">+49 (0) 9131 900 95544    

Fax:      <a href="tel:%2B49%20%280%29%209131%20900%2094081" value="+49913190094081" target="_blank">+49 (0) 9131 900 94081                

mail to:  [hidden email]  

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Philippe Knoche - Geschäftsführer: Stefan vom Scheidt, Carsten Haferkamp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Erlangen - Registergericht: Fürth, HRB 7817 -
www.areva.com - Umsatzsteuer-ID: DE 206407096 

Supervisory Board Chairman: Philippe Knoche - Managing Directors: Stefan vom Scheidt, Carsten Haferkamp
Company Seat: Erlangen - Commercial Registries Fürth, HRB 7817 -
www.areva.com - VAT ID code: DE 206407096

Wichtiger Hinweis: Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse bzw. sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail. Vielen Dank.

Important Note: This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: XFont problems using X-Win32

Holger Kleinsorgen
In reply to this post by BREITH Karl-Albert (AREVA)
BREITH Karl-Albert (AREVA) wrote

Another option would be to load the package "Xft-DesktopIntegration" from Cincom's public repository into the image and see if it works with X-Win32. It adds Xft font support. It worked for me with the Cygwin/X server for Windows.