XML Parser and Pastell

NorbertHartl
Hi,

as I'm doing more xml now I try to get an impression what is this xml support all about. I assume that using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport ist the way to go. In newer versions the gemstone part reccurs to ConfigurationOfGsMisc. If I dependent on my project on this particular version in ConfigurationOfXMLSupport it does not work. It is complaining about anything about VB-Regex being missing. I could go into detail if necessary. The ConfigurationOfMetacello loads directly the gemstone version from the repository. So do I and this works.

XMLSupport on squeaksource recently had some new versions with quite a few changes. What is the last version of gemstone that incorporated a specific version of the squeaksource version? I probably would like to incorporate the new changes into the gemstone version to become up to date.

I wanted to have a look at pastell. So I ported it to gemstone which wasn't that heavy. There are a few questions to solve but I already have all tests green. Where can I put it best?

Norbert

Re: XML Parser and Pastell

Dale
Norbert,

Added http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Pastell.html with 'GLASS DEVS' group as developers so you can put the ported Pastell code there.

The latest version of XML-Parser that was ported/merged to GemStone was XML-Parser-mir.9. I've added 'GLASS DEVS' to the GemStone XML Support project so you can commit changes updates there.

Recently VB-Regex was ported to GemStone by Sean Allen and Ken Treis (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/VBRegex.html) so you might try loading that before loading the later version of XML-Support (if that is the source of conflicts). I'm not aware of VB-Regex dependencies but starting somewhere around 1.0-beta.0 I decided to include VB-REgex in the Minimal GLASS package, so it will always be loaded in GemStone moving forward.

When working with XML-Parser, keep an eye on XML Pull Parser, too, in case there are conflicts.

Dale
----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Hi,
|
| as I'm doing more xml now I try to get an impression what is this xml
| support all about. I assume that using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport ist
| the way to go. In newer versions the gemstone part reccurs to
| ConfigurationOfGsMisc. If I dependent on my project on this particular
| version in ConfigurationOfXMLSupport it does not work. It is
| complaining about anything about VB-Regex being missing. I could go
| into detail if necessary. The ConfigurationOfMetacello loads directly
| the gemstone version from the repository. So do I and this works.
|
| XMLSupport on squeaksource recently had some new versions with quite a
| few changes. What is the last version of gemstone that incorporated a
| specific version of the squeaksource version? I probably would like to
| incorporate the new changes into the gemstone version to become up to
| date.
|
| I wanted to have a look at pastell. So I ported it to gemstone which
| wasn't that heavy. There are a few questions to solve but I already
| have all tests green. Where can I put it best?
|
| Norbert

Re: XML Parser and Pastell

NorbertHartl

On 24.02.2010, at 00:49, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Norbert,
>
> Added http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Pastell.html with 'GLASS DEVS' group as developers so you can put the ported Pastell code there.

thanks, I'll put it there.

> The latest version of XML-Parser that was ported/merged to GemStone was XML-Parser-mir.9. I've added 'GLASS DEVS' to the GemStone XML Support project so you can commit changes updates there.

Ok, I'll check.

> Recently VB-Regex was ported to GemStone by Sean Allen and Ken Treis (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/VBRegex.html) so you might try loading that before loading the later version of XML-Support (if that is the source of conflicts). I'm not aware of VB-Regex dependencies but starting somewhere around 1.0-beta.0 I decided to include VB-REgex in the Minimal GLASS package, so it will always be loaded in GemStone moving forward.

I have the same issue again in another project. As it seems now VB-Regex is just that latest dependency on the stack. Somehow I get these if I use nested configurations. I'm using configurations like

spec
        className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
        versionString: '2.8.4.3';
        file: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
        repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository'

That is ok, right? Or are there any prerequisites to be met? If you don't have any hint I'll dive into this a bit deeper. I'm now reading the metacello feed to be up to date.

> When working with XML-Parser, keep an eye on XML Pull Parser, too, in case there are conflicts.

Right. That was one thing I wanted to try anyway.

Norbert

> Dale
> ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | as I'm doing more xml now I try to get an impression what is this xml
> | support all about. I assume that using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport ist
> | the way to go. In newer versions the gemstone part reccurs to
> | ConfigurationOfGsMisc. If I dependent on my project on this particular
> | version in ConfigurationOfXMLSupport it does not work. It is
> | complaining about anything about VB-Regex being missing. I could go
> | into detail if necessary. The ConfigurationOfMetacello loads directly
> | the gemstone version from the repository. So do I and this works.
> |
> | XMLSupport on squeaksource recently had some new versions with quite a
> | few changes. What is the last version of gemstone that incorporated a
> | specific version of the squeaksource version? I probably would like to
> | incorporate the new changes into the gemstone version to become up to
> | date.
> |
> | I wanted to have a look at pastell. So I ported it to gemstone which
> | wasn't that heavy. There are a few questions to solve but I already
> | have all tests green. Where can I put it best?
> |
> | Norbert

Re: XML Parser and Pastell

Dale
ConfigurationOfSeaside28 is expected to be used with 1.0-beta.8 (under development), but obviously you have gotten Metacello running in GLASS.230-dkh.231, so you could actually try loading ConfigurationOfGLASS 1.0-beta.8 from http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/GLASSproject.

Once you've loaded the config, try running the following:

  (ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.8')
    load: 'Dev'.

Then load ConfigurationOfSeaside28...let me know what kinds of issues you run into.

Once I finish porting the latest Pier AddOns for Seaside2.8 I will be focusing on the upgrade process. james is working in parallel on a solution that involves the approach that Otto outlined a week or so ago. I will be focusing on a a straight code update process. We're getting close:)

Norbert, your experiments will help me understand any problems that others may anticipate running into:)

Dale
----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| On 24.02.2010, at 00:49, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > Norbert,
| >
| > Added http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Pastell.html with 'GLASS DEVS'
| group as developers so you can put the ported Pastell code there.
| >
| thanks, I'll put it there.
|
| > The latest version of XML-Parser that was ported/merged to GemStone
| was XML-Parser-mir.9. I've added 'GLASS DEVS' to the GemStone XML
| Support project so you can commit changes updates there.
| >
| Ok, I'll check.
|
| > Recently VB-Regex was ported to GemStone by Sean Allen and Ken Treis
| (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/VBRegex.html) so you might try loading
| that before loading the later version of XML-Support (if that is the
| source of conflicts). I'm not aware of VB-Regex dependencies but
| starting somewhere around 1.0-beta.0 I decided to include VB-REgex in
| the Minimal GLASS package, so it will always be loaded in GemStone
| moving forward.
| >
| I have the same issue again in another project. As it seems now
| VB-Regex is just that latest dependency on the stack. Somehow I get
| these if I use nested configurations. I'm using configurations like
|
| spec
| className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
| versionString: '2.8.4.3';
| file: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
| repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository'
|
| That is ok, right? Or are there any prerequisites to be met? If you
| don't have any hint I'll dive into this a bit deeper. I'm now reading
| the metacello feed to be up to date.
|
| > When working with XML-Parser, keep an eye on XML Pull Parser, too,
| in case there are conflicts.
| >
| Right. That was one thing I wanted to try anyway.
|
| Norbert
|
| > Dale
| > ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | Hi,
| > |
| > | as I'm doing more xml now I try to get an impression what is this
| xml
| > | support all about. I assume that using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport
| ist
| > | the way to go. In newer versions the gemstone part reccurs to
| > | ConfigurationOfGsMisc. If I dependent on my project on this
| particular
| > | version in ConfigurationOfXMLSupport it does not work. It is
| > | complaining about anything about VB-Regex being missing. I could
| go
| > | into detail if necessary. The ConfigurationOfMetacello loads
| directly
| > | the gemstone version from the repository. So do I and this works.
| > |
| > | XMLSupport on squeaksource recently had some new versions with
| quite a
| > | few changes. What is the last version of gemstone that
| incorporated a
| > | specific version of the squeaksource version? I probably would
| like to
| > | incorporate the new changes into the gemstone version to become up
| > | date.
| > |
| > |
| > | Norbert

Re: XML Parser and Pastell

NorbertHartl
Dale,

today I decided that my current image which is quite old may be the source of some of my troubles. In order to prepare for a complete upgrade to everything new I started bootstrapping today.

- I followed the blog post for bootstrapping beta.4 of GLASS.
- I like to see what is happening and tried to upgrade to beta.8 from topaz but this didn't suceed
- Trying it from the gemtools client opened a warning about load problems (Gofer etc.). This might prevented doing it from topaz
- logging out and logging back in via the gemtools client showed that beta.8 workspace
- Adding seaside to the mix is not an easy task at the moment. There are so many configurations floating around. I started to understand after I saw that ConfigurationOfSeaside is using ConfigurationofSeaside2.8 for loading seaside. That's weird. I think there is only one dependency and that is from pier towards seaside. So most of the stuff should be moved to ConfigurationOfPier. Or if it is meant as platform config than it needs a new umbrella name
- I decided to use the newly announced ConfiguratonOfSeaside. To get it straight in my config I use

spec
        project: 'Seaside' with: [
                spec
                        className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside';
                                loads: #('Seaside 2.8');
                                file: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside';
                                repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository'].
                spec
                        project: 'Pier' with: [
                                spec
                                        className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside';
                                        loads: #('Pier' );
                                        file: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside';
                                        repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository' ].

It turns everything inside out again :) I just want to load only the essentials because ConfigurationOfSeaside just loads everything.

As far as I can tell this works like charm. I loaded my own project in pharo and in gemstone and at a first glance everything seems to be right for each platform. I have a sixx problem in my old image. If I can fix this I'll try to migrate my current stuff into the newly bootstrapped image. This should be a good base to make a second configuration to step into the seaside3/pier2 rail.

Norbert

On 24.02.2010, at 19:23, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> [...]
> | the Minimal GLASS package, so it will always be loaded in GemStone
> | moving forward.
> | >
> | I have the same issue again in another project. As it seems now
> | VB-Regex is just that latest dependency on the stack. Somehow I get
> | these if I use nested configurations. I'm using configurations like
> |
> | spec
> | className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
> | versionString: '2.8.4.3';
> | file: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
> | repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository'
> |
> | That is ok, right? Or are there any prerequisites to be met? If you
> | don't have any hint I'll dive into this a bit deeper. I'm now reading
> | the metacello feed to be up to date.
> |
> | > When working with XML-Parser, keep an eye on XML Pull Parser, too,
> | in case there are conflicts.
> | >
> | Right. That was one thing I wanted to try anyway.

Re: XML Parser and Pastell

Dale
Norbert,

I'm glad that you have got yourself bootstrapped to 1.0-beta.8. I'm still working through some issues with 1.0-beta.8, but fortunately for you I've gotten past the real sticky issues:) I'm probably a day or two away from releasing 1.0-beta.8, which will include a code upgrade path for GLASS.230-dkh.164 through GLASS.230-dkh.231 to 1.0-beta.8...I will also release a 1.0-beta.8 bootstrap.zip file. Followed by a new 2.4.x download, followed by a new 2.4 and 1.0-beta.8-based appliance...whew!

ConfigurationOfSeaside is intended to make it easy to get started with Seaside/Magritte/Pier. If you know exactly what you want, the using ConfigurationOfPier, ConfigurationOfMagritte, and ConfigurationOfSeaside28 directly is the route to go.

Loading from ConfigurationOfPier will get you everything that is needed from Magritte and Seaside2.8 ... the only reason to directly access ConfigurationOfMagritte or CongfigurationOfSeaside28 directly is to load something that you want that is not loaded by Pier ...

> [...]

| >  (ConfigurationOfGLASS project version: '1.0-beta.8')
| >    load: 'Dev'.
| >
| > Then load ConfigurationOfSeaside28...let me know what kinds of
| issues you run into.
| >
| > Once I finish porting the latest Pier AddOns for Seaside2.8 I will
| be focusing on the upgrade process. james is working in parallel on a
| solution that involves the approach that Otto outlined a week or so
| ago. I will be focusing on a a straight code update process. We're
| getting close:)
| >
| > Norbert, your experiments will help me understand any problems that
| others may anticipate running into:)
| >
| > Dale
| > ----- "Norbert Hartl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | On 24.02.2010, at 00:49, Dale Henrichs wrote:
| > |

| DEVS'
| > | group as developers so you can put the ported Pastell code there.

| > |
| GemStone
| > | was XML-Parser-mir.9. I've added 'GLASS DEVS' to the GemStone XML
| > | Support project so you can commit changes updates there.
| > | >
| > | Ok, I'll check.
| > |
| Treis
| > | (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/VBRegex.html) so you might try
| > | that before loading the later version of XML-Support (if that is
| the
| > | source of conflicts). I'm not aware of VB-Regex dependencies but
| > | starting somewhere around 1.0-beta.0 I decided to include VB-REgex
| in
| > | the Minimal GLASS package, so it will always be loaded in
| GemStone
| > | moving forward.
| > | >
| > | I have the same issue again in another project. As it seems now
| > | VB-Regex is just that latest dependency on the stack. Somehow I
| get
| > | these if I use nested configurations. I'm using configurations
| like
| > |
| > | spec
| > | className: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
| > | versionString: '2.8.4.3';
| > | file: 'ConfigurationOfSeaside28';
| > | repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository'
| > |
| > | That is ok, right? Or are there any prerequisites to be met? If
| you
| > | don't have any hint I'll dive into this a bit deeper. I'm now
| reading
| > | the metacello feed to be up to date.
| > |
| too,
| > | in case there are conflicts.
| > | >
| > | Right. That was one thing I wanted to try anyway.
| > |
| > | Norbert
| > |

| > | > |