XMLSupport 1.1.7 ported to GS

Johan Brichau-2
Dale, Otto,

I have ported a merge of Dale's Gemstone port of XMLSupport version 1.0.x and the current Squeak/Pharo version 1.1.7
All 49 tests (without the OrderedListTests -- because they use traits too much) are green.

Otto: I was in a hurry... I need to demonstrate something with XML processing tomorrow and would like to do it in GS ;-) We should still compare code though...
Dale: I will post these to the XMLSupport project on gemsource?

Johan

Re: XMLSupport 1.1.7 ported to GS

Dale Henrichs
On 02/22/2011 12:15 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
> Dale, Otto,
>
> I have ported a merge of Dale's Gemstone port of XMLSupport version 1.0.x and the current Squeak/Pharo version 1.1.7
> All 49 tests (without the OrderedListTests -- because they use traits too much) are green.
>
> Otto: I was in a hurry... I need to demonstrate something with XML processing tomorrow and would like to do it in GS ;-) We should still compare code though...
> Dale: I will post these to the XMLSupport project on gemsource?
>
> Johan

Johan,

Sounds good...

Dale

Re: XMLSupport 1.1.7 ported to GS

Johan Brichau-2
Dale,

I also need to publish 3 other packages, which are also ports (partially finished) of their squeaksource counterparts:

Collections-BitMapCharacterSet
Collections-CharacterSet
Collections-OrderpreservingDictionary

They all need GS specific adaptations and are prerequisites of the new XMLSupport + XMLWriter projects.

Since they are not part of base Pharo nor Squeak, I propose to add a new project to gemsource to host these things.
I cannot make projects on gemsource... do you think it's a good solution to host these in a new project  such as 'Collections' ?

Johan

On 22 Feb 2011, at 22:00, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> On 02/22/2011 12:15 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>> Dale, Otto,
>>
>> I have ported a merge of Dale's Gemstone port of XMLSupport version 1.0.x and the current Squeak/Pharo version 1.1.7
>> All 49 tests (without the OrderedListTests -- because they use traits too much) are green.
>>
>> Otto: I was in a hurry... I need to demonstrate something with XML processing tomorrow and would like to do it in GS ;-) We should still compare code though...
>> Dale: I will post these to the XMLSupport project on gemsource?
>>
>> Johan
>
> Johan,
>
> Sounds good...
>
> Dale

Re: XMLSupport 1.1.7 ported to GS

otto
I just published the changes on XMLSupport; sorry about the delay.

ConfigurationOfXMLSupport 1.1.9 loads cleanly, with all tests passing.

Published XML-Parser & Tests on seaside.gemstone.com/ss/XMLSupport.
The config points there now. I couldn't write to squeaksource. I could
write to XMLWriter.

Now for SoapOpera...

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dale,
>
> I also need to publish 3 other packages, which are also ports (partially finished) of their squeaksource counterparts:
>
> Collections-BitMapCharacterSet
> Collections-CharacterSet
> Collections-OrderpreservingDictionary
>
> They all need GS specific adaptations and are prerequisites of the new XMLSupport + XMLWriter projects.
>
> Since they are not part of base Pharo nor Squeak, I propose to add a new project to gemsource to host these things.
> I cannot make projects on gemsource... do you think it's a good solution to host these in a new project  such as 'Collections' ?
>
> Johan
>
> On 22 Feb 2011, at 22:00, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> On 02/22/2011 12:15 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>>> Dale, Otto,
>>>
>>> I have ported a merge of Dale's Gemstone port of XMLSupport version 1.0.x and the current Squeak/Pharo version 1.1.7
>>> All 49 tests (without the OrderedListTests -- because they use traits too much) are green.
>>>
>>> Otto: I was in a hurry... I need to demonstrate something with XML processing tomorrow and would like to do it in GS ;-) We should still compare code though...
>>> Dale: I will post these to the XMLSupport project on gemsource?
>>>
>>> Johan
>>
>> Johan,
>>
>> Sounds good...
>>
>> Dale

Re: XMLSupport 1.1.7 ported to GS

NorbertHartl

On 22.02.2011, at 22:54, Otto Behrens wrote:

I just published the changes on XMLSupport; sorry about the delay.

ConfigurationOfXMLSupport 1.1.9 loads cleanly, with all tests passing.

Published XML-Parser & Tests on seaside.gemstone.com/ss/XMLSupport.
The config points there now. I couldn't write to squeaksource. I could
write to XMLWriter.

You could write Alexandre to give you access. In the meantime Dale and me have access if you want something to be committed.

btw. great work. I was eager to have this port.

Norbert

[...]

I published ConfigurationOfXML{Support,Writer} in the
MetacelloRepository on squeaksource. I see tests not loading properly
in GS (had it working at some point). Looking into it now...

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Otto Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just published the changes on XMLSupport; sorry about the delay.
>
> ConfigurationOfXMLSupport 1.1.9 loads cleanly, with all tests passing.
>
> Published XML-Parser & Tests on seaside.gemstone.com/ss/XMLSupport.
> The config points there now. I couldn't write to squeaksource. I could
> write to XMLWriter.
>
> Now for SoapOpera...
>
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dale,
>>
>> I also need to publish 3 other packages, which are also ports (partially finished) of their squeaksource counterparts:
>>
>> Collections-BitMapCharacterSet
>> Collections-CharacterSet
>> Collections-OrderpreservingDictionary
>>
>> They all need GS specific adaptations and are prerequisites of the new XMLSupport + XMLWriter projects.
>>
>> Since they are not part of base Pharo nor Squeak, I propose to add a new project to gemsource to host these things.
>> I cannot make projects on gemsource... do you think it's a good solution to host these in a new project  such as 'Collections' ?
>>
>> Johan

>>> Johan,
>>>
>>> Sounds good...
>>>
>>> Dale

Re: XMLSupport 1.1.7 ported to GS

otto
> MetacelloRepository on squeaksource. I see tests not loading properly
> in GS (had it working at some point). Looking into it now...

Oops, forgot about this. XMLOrderedListTest subclasses from
OrderedCollectionTest which does almost nothing but include a huge
bunch of traits. I was on my my to do something and forgot about it.

I published some more additions to the Squeak package in
seaside.gemstone.com/ss/monticello. We will really have to find a good
strategy to get all these little methods in (eg. stuff pm Collection
classes and Streams in Pharo Core and not in GS). If there is a better
place than the Squeak package, please let me know.

One test failing (besides XMLOrderdListTest) and that has to do with
OrderPreservingDictionary new = OrderPreservingDictionary new returns
false in GS and true in Pharo. This has to do with GS being strict on
checking Dictionary subclasses to be of the same class and Pharo not
(implements a check with isDictionary). I'm stuck. Dunno how to fix
this.

Tomorrow is another day for SoapOpera

Re: XMLSupport 1.1.7 ported to GS

Dale Henrichs
Right now, the rule for the Squeak package is only things that are
needed to boot the system, which means that new loose methods should go
into GsSqueakCommmon or GsPharo (or GsSqueak). The new Collections
classes configuration would then depend on GsPharo (or GsSqueakCommon)
to pick up the random loose methods ... then to complete the thought,
the xml support package would depend upon the GsCollection stuff and
GsPharo would be brought in if necessary (i.e., no explicit dependency)

Dale

On 02/22/2011 02:50 PM, Otto Behrens wrote:

>> MetacelloRepository on squeaksource. I see tests not loading properly
>> in GS (had it working at some point). Looking into it now...
>
> Oops, forgot about this. XMLOrderedListTest subclasses from
> OrderedCollectionTest which does almost nothing but include a huge
> bunch of traits. I was on my my to do something and forgot about it.
>
> I published some more additions to the Squeak package in
> seaside.gemstone.com/ss/monticello. We will really have to find a good
> strategy to get all these little methods in (eg. stuff pm Collection
> classes and Streams in Pharo Core and not in GS). If there is a better
> place than the Squeak package, please let me know.
>
> One test failing (besides XMLOrderdListTest) and that has to do with
> OrderPreservingDictionary new = OrderPreservingDictionary new returns
> false in GS and true in Pharo. This has to do with GS being strict on
> checking Dictionary subclasses to be of the same class and Pharo not
> (implements a check with isDictionary). I'm stuck. Dunno how to fix
> this.
>
> Tomorrow is another day for SoapOpera

Re: XMLSupport 1.1.7 ported to GS

Dale Henrichs
Johan,

My first thought is that these are Pharo (possibly Squeak) compatibility
classes and that they should be stored and managed from
http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/PharoCompat. I would think that it makes
sense to then create a ConfigurationOfGsCollections to manage these
packages as a unit ...

Dale

On 02/22/2011 01:32 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Dale,
>
> I also need to publish 3 other packages, which are also ports (partially finished) of their squeaksource counterparts:
>
> Collections-BitMapCharacterSet
> Collections-CharacterSet
> Collections-OrderpreservingDictionary
>
> They all need GS specific adaptations and are prerequisites of the new XMLSupport + XMLWriter projects.
>
> Since they are not part of base Pharo nor Squeak, I propose to add a new project to gemsource to host these things.
> I cannot make projects on gemsource... do you think it's a good solution to host these in a new project  such as 'Collections' ?
>
> Johan
>
> On 22 Feb 2011, at 22:00, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> On 02/22/2011 12:15 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>>> Dale, Otto,
>>>
>>> I have ported a merge of Dale's Gemstone port of XMLSupport version 1.0.x and the current Squeak/Pharo version 1.1.7
>>> All 49 tests (without the OrderedListTests -- because they use traits too much) are green.
>>>
>>> Otto: I was in a hurry... I need to demonstrate something with XML processing tomorrow and would like to do it in GS ;-) We should still compare code though...
>>> Dale: I will post these to the XMLSupport project on gemsource?
>>>
>>> Johan
>>
>> Johan,
>>
>> Sounds good...
>>
>> Dale

Re: XMLSupport 1.1.7 ported to GS

Johan Brichau-2
Otto,

Ok, we both uploaded our versions. Let's take a look later this week to both of them and compare.
I also removed that testcase actually and the dictionary comparison can be solved by overridding the #= on OrderPreservingDictionary. I have the code for those packages as well but will publish them in PharoCompat, as Dale suggested.

Johan

On 22 Feb 2011, at 23:50, Otto Behrens wrote:

>> MetacelloRepository on squeaksource. I see tests not loading properly
>> in GS (had it working at some point). Looking into it now...
>
> Oops, forgot about this. XMLOrderedListTest subclasses from
> OrderedCollectionTest which does almost nothing but include a huge
> bunch of traits. I was on my my to do something and forgot about it.
>
> I published some more additions to the Squeak package in
> seaside.gemstone.com/ss/monticello. We will really have to find a good
> strategy to get all these little methods in (eg. stuff pm Collection
> classes and Streams in Pharo Core and not in GS). If there is a better
> place than the Squeak package, please let me know.
>
> One test failing (besides XMLOrderdListTest) and that has to do with
> OrderPreservingDictionary new = OrderPreservingDictionary new returns
> false in GS and true in Pharo. This has to do with GS being strict on
> checking Dictionary subclasses to be of the same class and Pharo not
> (implements a check with isDictionary). I'm stuck. Dunno how to fix
> this.
>
> Tomorrow is another day for SoapOpera

Re: XMLSupport 1.1.7 ported to GS

Johan Brichau-2
I finally had some time to compare the two versions of the ports of XMLParser.

First off, the metacello config does not work because the XMLWriter config that it references does not work for GemStone (due to unexisting packages)

I also don't think that a single package codebase can work for both GemStone and Pharo/Squeak. I found some problems with the current "universal" implementation that is referenced by the MC config:
- GS uses a different stream positioning than Pharo (i.e. GS keeps the position at the next available one, while Pharo/Squeak keeps the position at the last one). There are a number of methods included in the package that follow Pharo's scheme.
- There's a method referencing thisContext, which does not exist in GemStone afaik.
- 'Character value:' is different from 'Unicode value:' in Pharo, while in GemStone the 'Character value:' seems to work for Unicode
- There are also a couple of missing methods which I stumbled upon when running it in GemStone.

Until now, I was working with Dale's port (XMLParser.g package), extended with the changes made for version 1.1.7 in Pharo.
I propose I will update the metacello configs and use the XMLParser.g package instead.

The Metacello config should be updated as well to load from squeaksource for Pharo and from gemsource for GS.
I actually also think none of the maintainers of XMLSupport (Alex, Jason) know that the config does not reference the squeaksource repo anymore...  We should avoid to do such things.

greetings
Johan