XP^2 Evaluation Success!

Kirk W. Fraser
I've been evaluating Dolphin 5 and had trouble under Win 98 SE with a memory
protection fault which my code got repeatedly.  But with Ian's generous
help, I decided to purchase Win XP to try out the same code there and it
works flawlessly!  Apparently the memory protection fault was in earlier
Microsoft products.

So I definitely recommend both Dolpin XP and Win XP as a pair!

Go Smalltalk!  Go Dolpin XP!

Aside for anyone who hasn't upgraded OS yet:
There are a couple of things to watch.  Win XP will appear to clean out your
Outlook Express email folders.  They store it under C:\Documents and
Settings\Windows User\Application Data\Identities\...etc.  and you can
either import from the stored directory or copy the old .dbx files to the
new one.

In the Win XP upgrade I did suffer  loss of function for one of my favorite
hardware items, an ATI All In Wonder card, which gave me years of TV viewing
pleasure plus allowing video input from my camcorder which enabled emailing
pictures. Unfortunately ATI knows thier problem with XP and has no plans to
issue new software for their old card.  :-(

Last and perhaps least, XP has apparantly done away with formerly obvious
Internet Connection Status indicators.  No tiny screens blinking in the
tray, no status report or option to disconnect when you click the connection
icon (if you have one).  One defense against hack attacks was to simply turn
off the connection when you notice unrequested activity.

Re: XP^2 Evaluation Success!

Andy Bower
Kirk,

> I've been evaluating Dolphin 5 and had trouble under Win 98 SE with a
memory
> protection fault which my code got repeatedly.  But with Ian's generous
> help, I decided to purchase Win XP to try out the same code there and it
> works flawlessly!  Apparently the memory protection fault was in earlier
> Microsoft products.
>
> So I definitely recommend both Dolpin XP and Win XP as a pair!

You're right that the NT family of OSs (NT, 2000, XP) has always been a
better choice for general staibility of Windows. One thing we've found
particularly important with Win95/98 is that they are very prone to running
out of "resources" (things like memory for fonts, window handles, HDCs etc)
if you use Dolphin and tend to open a lot of Windows or run long looping
processes. The problem is that this sort of failure is far from graceful and
tends to give a protection fault or, worse, bring down Windows completely.
These issues are a thing of the past with Win2000/XP.

> Go Smalltalk!  Go Dolpin XP!

Yo Pizza!

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: XP^2 Evaluation Success!

Blair McGlashan
Kirk

"Kirk W. Fraser" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:piXO8.8618$[hidden email]...
> I've been evaluating Dolphin 5 and had trouble under Win 98 SE with a
memory

> protection fault which my code got repeatedly.  But with Ian's generous
> help, I decided to purchase Win XP to try out the same code there and it
> works flawlessly!  Apparently the memory protection fault was in earlier
> Microsoft products.
>
> So I definitely recommend both Dolpin XP and Win XP as a pair!
>
> Go Smalltalk!  Go Dolpin XP!

> Aside for anyone who hasn't upgraded OS yet:
> There are a couple of things to watch.  Win XP will appear to clean out
your
> Outlook Express email folders.  They store it under C:\Documents and
> Settings\Windows User\Application Data\Identities\...etc.  and you can
> either import from the stored directory or copy the old .dbx files to the
> new one.

You're not running McAfee Virus Scan are you? Blasted thing repeatedly
deleted all my mail when I upgraded to XP.

> Last and perhaps least, XP has apparantly done away with formerly obvious
> Internet Connection Status indicators.  No tiny screens blinking in the
> tray, no status report or option to disconnect when you click the
connection
> icon (if you have one).  One defense against hack attacks was to simply
turn
> off the connection when you notice unrequested activity.

 From the control panel open Network Connections. Then on the property pages
of the relevant connection, on the "General" tab (the first), tick the 'Show
icon in notification area when connected' checkbox.

Regards

Blair
Microsoft Support :-)

Re: XP^2 Evaluation Success!

Kirk W. Fraser
"Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> wrote
> > Win XP will appear to clean out your
> > Outlook Express email folders.  They store it under C:\Documents and
> > Settings\Windows User\Application Data\Identities\...etc.  and you can
> > either import from the stored directory or copy.dbx files
>
> You're not running McAfee Virus Scan are you? Blasted thing repeatedly
> deleted all my mail when I upgraded to XP.

Nope.  I am running Norton though.  Fortunately it was just moved out of
OE's reach and not deleted.  I got that deleted experience when a hard disk
failed a few years ago.

> > Last and perhaps least, XP has apparantly done away with formerly
> > obvious Internet Connection Status indicators.
>
> From the control panel open Network Connections. Then on the
> property pages, on the "General" tab (the first), tick the 'Show
> icon in notification area when connected' checkbox.

Sorry for mentioning it -- I had already tried that Show icon checkbox and
nothing happened at that point -- but it showed up after I rebooted.