XP Value Edition

Sean Malloy-2
So I purchased the value edition because I couldn't warrant spending 350
bucks on something I'm just mucking around with. (Perhaps in the future I
can justify the xpenditure to my wife.. ;))

Anyways, Site says only the pro version comes with RB built in. Which
suggested to me, I could just install the RB later on... Looks like you
can't.

Anyone got any pointers on how I can get the Refactoring Browser working in
the value edition? Theres a Dolphi 5 download, but it doesn't seem to work
(coupled with the fact install.st doesn't exist in that download, it leads
me to believe its a half finished piece of work)

Upon further inspection it seems like its a lot of effort to add the support
in, much more than that just spending $350 (almost $500 for me)

Any help appreciated.

Re: XP Value Edition

Ian Bartholomew-18
Sean,

> Anyone got any pointers on how I can get the Refactoring Browser
> working in the value edition? Theres a Dolphi 5 download, but it
> doesn't seem to work (coupled with the fact install.st doesn't exist
> in that download, it leads me to believe its a half finished piece of
> work)

I thought that download was for earlier versions of Dolphin, when the RB
wasn't included in any default image?. If so I don't think it was ever
intended as a full integration into the Value edition image.

> Upon further inspection it seems like its a lot of effort to add the
> support in, much more than that just spending $350 (almost $500 for
> me)

It is a lot of work and I think it took OA quite a long time to do it -
hence the reason it's in the Pro edition and not the Value edition :-).
It's a very useful tool but not really necessary for the value editions
intended usage.

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: XP Value Edition

Andy Bower-3
Sean,

> So I purchased the value edition because I couldn't warrant spending
> 350 bucks on something I'm just mucking around with. (Perhaps in the
> future I can justify the xpenditure to my wife.. ;))
>
> Anyways, Site says only the pro version comes with RB built in. Which
> suggested to me, I could just install the RB later on... Looks like
> you can't.
>
> Anyone got any pointers on how I can get the Refactoring Browser
> working in the value edition? Theres a Dolphi 5 download, but it
> doesn't seem to work (coupled with the fact install.st doesn't exist
> in that download, it leads me to believe its a half finished piece of
> work)

There are a number of free downloads of the Refactoring Browser for
Dolphin at:

http://www.object-arts.co.uk/wiki/html/Dolphin/RefactoringBrowser.htm

There is a version for Dolphin 5.0 but AFAIK it hasn't been modified
for some time and therefore may, or may not, load correctly into
Dolphin 5.1. The UI work for these versions was originally done by
Donald MacQueen but since the release of the version integrated into
Dolphin Professional, I think he has moved on to other things.

> Upon further inspection it seems like its a lot of effort to add the
> support in, much more than that just spending $350 (almost $500 for
> me)

Well, a good deal of effort was expended to add the refactoring UI to
Dolphin Pro in what we hope is a seamless way, which is why we feel it
is fair for us to charge for this as part of the Pro product rather
than give it away for free as part of the RB download. If you search
the archives for this newsgroup you'll see there was a huge thread
debating this issue some time ago.

We'd like to think that you would find Dolphin Pro to be worthwhile. If
you'd like to purchase to DPro right away, please let me know by e-mail
and I'll refund your Value Edition purchase for you first.

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Re: XP Value Edition

Bill Schwab-2
Sean,

> Well, a good deal of effort was expended to add the refactoring UI to
> Dolphin Pro in what we hope is a seamless way, which is why we feel it
> is fair for us to charge for this as part of the Pro product rather
> than give it away for free as part of the RB download. If you search
> the archives for this newsgroup you'll see there was a huge thread
> debating this issue some time ago.

The integration is extensive and elegant, and OA has good reason to charge
for it.

> We'd like to think that you would find Dolphin Pro to be worthwhile. If
> you'd like to purchase to DPro right away, please let me know by e-mail
> and I'll refund your Value Edition purchase for you first.

I think you would definitely be better off with DPro rather than trying to
wire up something from Donald's past - no offense to him, it's just that OA
took over the work.

Happy Smalltalking!

Bill

--