XP not registered as handler for .CLS files

XP not registered as handler for .CLS files

Bob Jarvis
I installed Dolphin XP on my system (NT sp 6a), where Dolphin 4 was
already installed.  After the installation I found that Dolphin 4 was
still listed as being the handler for the .CLS file type.  I would
expect Dolphin XP to take over as the handler for .CLS and other
Dolphin-related file types, as I think it's reasonable to assume that
after some relatively short migration period Dolphin 4 will be
removed.

Re: XP not registered as handler for .CLS files

Andy Bower
Bob,

> I installed Dolphin XP on my system (NT sp 6a), where Dolphin 4 was
> already installed.  After the installation I found that Dolphin 4 was
> still listed as being the handler for the .CLS file type.  I would
> expect Dolphin XP to take over as the handler for .CLS and other
> Dolphin-related file types, as I think it's reasonable to assume that
> after some relatively short migration period Dolphin 4 will be
> removed.

We've removed the associations for the CLS, PAC, ST and PAX extensions in
D5. The only extension registered is for IMG.

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: XP not registered as handler for .CLS files

David G. Wachtel
"Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:abp9jf$j54p9$[hidden email]...

> Bob,
>
> > I installed Dolphin XP on my system (NT sp 6a), where Dolphin 4 was
> > already installed.  After the installation I found that Dolphin 4 was
> > still listed as being the handler for the .CLS file type.  I would
> > expect Dolphin XP to take over as the handler for .CLS and other
> > Dolphin-related file types, as I think it's reasonable to assume that
> > after some relatively short migration period Dolphin 4 will be
> > removed.
>
> We've removed the associations for the CLS, PAC, ST and PAX extensions in
> D5. The only extension registered is for IMG.

... and this conflicts with the Cincom association with .img files. I've
changed my systems(s) to associate with Dolphin as I am using it for "shrink
wrap" development. I'll do my Cincom stuff under Linux. I don't think
Windows supports multiple associations, at least ME and 98 versions - too
bad. Some graphics programs will also create an association with files of
the .img persuasion so be vigilant.

--
Dave Wachtel
President, CSI Technologies, Inc.

Re: XP not registered as handler for .CLS files

Boris Popov-5
"David G. Wachtel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> "Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:abp9jf$j54p9$[hidden email]...
> > Bob,
> >
> > > I installed Dolphin XP on my system (NT sp 6a), where Dolphin 4 was
> > > already installed.  After the installation I found that Dolphin 4 was
> > > still listed as being the handler for the .CLS file type.  I would
> > > expect Dolphin XP to take over as the handler for .CLS and other
> > > Dolphin-related file types, as I think it's reasonable to assume that
> > > after some relatively short migration period Dolphin 4 will be
> > > removed.
> >
> > We've removed the associations for the CLS, PAC, ST and PAX extensions
in
> > D5. The only extension registered is for IMG.
> >

> ... and this conflicts with the Cincom association with .img files.

Cincom's VisualWorks is using the .im extension and not .img unless you
decide to name your image that way.

-Boris

Re: XP not registered as handler for .CLS files

David G. Wachtel
Boris,

"Boris Popov" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:ac3lp4$mfes5$[hidden email]...

> "David G. Wachtel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> >
> > "Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > news:abp9jf$j54p9$[hidden email]...
> > > Bob,

that

> > > We've removed the associations for the CLS, PAC, ST and PAX extensions
> in
> > > D5. The only extension registered is for IMG.
> > >

> > ... and this conflicts with the Cincom association with .img files.
>
> Cincom's VisualWorks is using the .im extension and not .img unless you
> decide to name your image that way.

I'm new to VW, don't use it much and didn't pick up on this. I guess I must
have changed it at some point.

I think there is still a potential conflict with graphics files with an
".img" expression. Not a criticism - just a "heads up".

> -Boris

Thanks
Dave
-------
Dave Wachtel
President, CSI Technologies, Inc.
Activities Director/Membership Chairman
Mohawk Hudson Region, Sports Car Club of America
[hidden email]
http://www.acmenet.net/~dwachtel
http://www.mohud-scca.org

Re: XP not registered as handler for .CLS files

David G. Wachtel
Boris,

"Boris Popov" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:ac3lp4$mfes5$[hidden email]...

> "David G. Wachtel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> >
> > "Andy Bower" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > news:abp9jf$j54p9$[hidden email]...
> > > Bob,

> > > We've removed the associations for the CLS, PAC, ST and PAX extensions
> >>in  D5. The only extension registered is for IMG.
> > >

> > ... and this conflicts with the Cincom association with .img files.
>
> Cincom's VisualWorks is using the .im extension and not .img unless you
> decide to name your image that way.

This is correct for VW however ObjectStudio image file extensions are by
default ".img".

To quote from the documentation:

"ObjectStudio consists of an executable (ostudio.exe) and an image file
(ostudio.img) ... You also can created a shortcut on the Windows 95
Desktop".

and

"The following default command executes when you start ObjectStudio:
ostudio.exe -iostudio.img.

> -Boris

Dave
-----------
Dave Wachtel
President, CSI Technologies, Inc.
Activities Director/Membership Chairman
Mohawk Hudson Region, Sports Car Club of America
[hidden email]
http://www.acmenet.net/~dwachtel
http://www.mohud-scca.org

Re: XP not registered as handler for .CLS files

Stefan Schmiedl
On Fri, 17 May 2002 16:06:44 -0400,
David G. Wachtel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think there is still a potential conflict with graphics files with an
> ".img" expression. Not a criticism - just a "heads up".

 .... which happens for example, if you install paintshop pro
after Dolphin: .img files are conquered (as some nowadays obscure
graphics file format) and it is actually quite difficult to
develop Smalltalk code using psp :-9

but such is life under windoze ...

s.