Xcode no longer includes gcc

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
In Xcode 4.2, the choices are:
  1) Apple LLVM 3.0, and
  2) LLVM gcc 4.2

#2 seems to work okay...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Xcode no longer includes gcc

EstebanLM

hi  Sean,

gcc is still there... but is not the default anymore :)
also... I don't know how much time they are going to maintain it... and how much that will affect us :(

best,
Esteban

El 10/01/2012, a las 8:38p.m., Sean P. DeNigris escribió:

> In Xcode 4.2, the choices are:
>  1) Apple LLVM 3.0, and
>  2) LLVM gcc 4.2
>
> #2 seems to work okay...

Re: Xcode no longer includes gcc

Igor Stasenko

On 11 January 2012 00:46, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi  Sean,
>
> gcc is still there... but is not the default anymore :)
> also... I don't know how much time they are going to maintain it... and how much that will affect us :(

so, that means that at some point we should start investigating the
problem why it doesn't works  when compiled using llvm?
i expecting a great adventure ahead :)

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Xcode no longer includes gcc

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
gcc is still there...
Not with a fresh install of Xcode 4.2! See http://ask.metafilter.com/200231/How-to-install-gcc-42-on-a-macbook-with-Xcode-42

I was able to get it and fix Xcode:
1) install via Mac Ports: "sudo port install apple-gcc42"
2) Follow http://stackoverflow.com/a/8593831/424245 to get it to appear in Xcode, the last two steps will probably look like:
  a) sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/gcc-apple-4.2 /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2
  b) sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/g++-apple-4.2 /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.2
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Xcode no longer includes gcc

johnmci

At the Apple Developer conference in 2009 the nice Apple LLVM folks told me, can we have a "small" code sample that shows the problem...
Fails on the old interpreter from that era, you should start with that, you don't actually need to step "too much" in order to get it to die btw.

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

EstebanLM wrote

> gcc is still there...

Not with a fresh install of Xcode 4.2! See
http://ask.metafilter.com/200231/How-to-install-gcc-42-on-a-macbook-with-Xcode-42

I was able to get it and fix Xcode:
1) install via Mac Ports: "sudo port install apple-gcc42"
2) Follow http://stackoverflow.com/a/8593831/424245 to get it to appear in
Xcode, the last two steps will probably look like:
 a) sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/gcc-apple-4.2 /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2
 b) sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/g++-apple-4.2 /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.2

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Xcode no longer includes gcc

Stefan Marr-3

Hi:

Most of the things you'll find are undefined behavior in C.

I posted at least one issue to the list (I think it had to do with overflow in one of the arithmetic primitives, multiplication or so).

My strategy to fix these things for the RoarVM was to use a bytecode trace, output to a file. And you have to make sure that you got as few as possible non-determinism. For that I disabled preemptive scheduling completely.

Afterwards I had two VMs, one compiled with GCC, and one with Clang. And then fixed the issues as they popped up.

Takes a bit, but it is possible.
The trace usually points at the bytecodes that behave incorrectly.

Hope that helps.
Stefan

On 11 Jan 2012, at 02:22, John McIntosh wrote:

> At the Apple Developer conference in 2009 the nice Apple LLVM folks told me, can we have a "small" code sample that shows the problem...
> Fails on the old interpreter from that era, you should start with that, you don't actually need to step "too much" in order to get it to die btw.
>
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> EstebanLM wrote
> >
> > gcc is still there...
> >

> Not with a fresh install of Xcode 4.2! See
> http://ask.metafilter.com/200231/How-to-install-gcc-42-on-a-macbook-with-Xcode-42
>
> I was able to get it and fix Xcode:
> 1) install via Mac Ports: "sudo port install apple-gcc42"
> 2) Follow http://stackoverflow.com/a/8593831/424245 to get it to appear in
> Xcode, the last two steps will probably look like:
>  a) sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/gcc-apple-4.2 /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.2
>  b) sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/g++-apple-4.2 /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.2

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 2974
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: Xcode no longer includes gcc

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
I was able to get it and fix Xcode:
To put all the info in one place, I wrote a blog post: http://seandenigris.com/blog/?p=931
Cheers,
Sean

On 11 Jan 2012, at 17:38, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Sean P. DeNigris wrote
>>
>> I was able to get it and fix Xcode:
>>

> To put all the info in one place, I wrote a blog post:
> http://seandenigris.com/blog/?p=931

Our experience shows that an update from Snow Leopard to Lion seems to delete the old gcc-4.2 binaries.
You might want to add that detail.

However, while I can't check it, the binaries might not have been deleted but just moved out of the search path, see: http://superuser.com/questions/313107/does-updating-to-os-x-lion-delete-gcc

Best regards
Stefan

Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: Xcode no longer includes gcc

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stefan Marr-3 wrote
You might want to add that detail.
Thanks, I updated the post.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Xcode no longer includes gcc

David T. Lewis

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:25:14AM +0100, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Most of the things you'll find are undefined behavior in C.
>
> I posted at least one issue to the list (I think it had to do with overflow in one of the arithmetic primitives, multiplication or so).

Indeed that was in interesting catch. The thread is here:
  <http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-July/008913.html>

It was added to an existing Mantis issue at:
  <http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=6987>

And a fix was hopefully applied here:

  Name: VMMaker-dtl.245
  Author: dtl
  Time: 2 August 2011, 7:11:17.088 am
  Ancestors: VMMaker-dtl.244

  VMMaker 4.7.2

  Reference <http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-August/009006.html>
  Fix NewObjectMemory>>newObjectHash to use shiftForWord rather than bytesPerWord (check to ensure corresponding fix in oscog).

  Reference Mantis 6987: signed32BitValueOf:, signed64BitValueOf: etc. broken
  Discussion at <http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-July/008905.html>

  Fix #signed32BitValueOf: and #signed64BitValueOf: which are reported broken for some optimizing C compilers. Cast to unsigned integer to prevent undefined behavior on arithmetic overflow.

  Add InterpreterPrimitivesTest to provide some coverage of #signed64BitValueOf:

  Follow up required - Test to verify fix on problematic compilers. Merge with oscog.

It seems quite likely that other problems like this exist in the VM,
particularly in the slang generated code that tends to be a bit casual
when it come to type declarations.

If porting to LLVM helps flush out some more issues like this, that
would be a good thing :)

Dave