Xcode projects for VM on iOS or Mac?

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
Does anyone have Xcode projects for building the VM on iOS or Mac?  Can they share them or give me some tips for setting one up?

Thanks,
-Todd

Re: Xcode projects for VM on iOS or Mac?

johnmci
I have one. I should see about adding it to a branch.

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd  https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

Thanks,
-Todd

Re: Xcode projects for VM on iOS or Mac?

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
That would be super awesome!  Please let me know if/when you do.

Thanks,
-Todd Blanchard

On Oct 26, 2018, at 9:43 AM, John M McIntosh <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have one. I should see about adding it to a branch.

John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd  https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 09:39, Todd Blanchard via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone have Xcode projects for building the VM on iOS or Mac? Can they share them or give me some tips for setting one up?

Thanks,
-Todd

Re: Xcode projects for VM on iOS or Mac?

EstebanLM
I’m sorry I forget to answer your mail :(
Anyway, my response was not something you wanted to hear: I maintained the iOS version of the VM and up to three years ago (before spur) it was working, but I didn’t try it since a lot of time and most of the work I did (who was based in CMakeMaker) is now not used anymore so I do not think they will work “out of the box” if needed.

I find sad that we have to depend on other’s Xcode projects to being able to do something, but well… is better than nothing :)

Esteban

Re: Xcode projects for VM on iOS or Mac?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Todd,

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 10:00 AM Todd Blanchard via Pharo-dev <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone have Xcode projects for building the VM on iOS or Mac?  Can they share them or give me some tips for setting one up?

First I'd like to know your use case.  I presume it;'s for debugging, but it may be more for browsing.  Can you say?  (Personally I find raw lldb adequate for debugging).

Second, my reasons for not using Xcode projects for building the Mac VMs are that
- Xcode projects, being a serialization of an object graph, are difficult to edit, and they offer no parameterisation, so whereas there is one small set of makefiles (8 in all) for all of the 32-bit and 64-bit builds on Mac, there had to be a separate Xcode project for each build.  When adding Spur this was simply unsupportable
- clearly Xcode is not necessary for building, browsing, or debugging; people are able to accomplish all three tasks using other tools

However, I do appreciate that Xcode is a more pleasant and higher-level GUI interface than the shell, make, lldb and one's favorite editor.  What I would support is a tool that created an Xcode project from Makefiles; such tools used to exist.  I'd love to see such a tool.  What I will fight against until my dying breath is any attempt to replace the Makefile based build system with Xcode.  I hope the reasons above justify why.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Xcode projects for VM on iOS or Mac?

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
I'm more about wanting an iOS VM and to do that you need to build and sign through Apple's tool set as far as I know.

And the debugging experience is much more pleasant - especially when making FFI calls into Apple's system libraries.

CMake can build an Xcode project from a CMake build system I believe.  At least there is a cross platform marine navigation project called OpenCPN (written in C++ and which relies on wxWidgets) that does this.

So I'm not arguing to have the official builds in Xcode, but if you want to build an app and ship it on iPhone or Mac, Xcode is the build system you are going to need to submit it to the App store.

best, Eliot

Re: Xcode projects for VM on iOS or Mac?

johnmci
Although xCode makes much of that process easier it is just a GUI front end for a bunch of command line tools.

You can re-sign and submit an app from the command line for enterprise usage, no doubt the same for the store. Apple at one time had a utility app to submit apps to the store for people needed to sub 100’s of apps at a time.