Xft font rendering on X11

Holger Kleinsorgen
Hello,

I was tired of the old ugly bitmap XFonts that are used by VW on X11, so I imported a few C header files of Xft and fontconfig, combined some code with duct tape, fixed bugs with WD-40, and published it in the public repository.

Load package "Xft-Integration", save & restart the image. Don't use an important image ;)

Another package, "Xft-DesktopIntegration" tries to gather font information from the desktop configuration. GNOME and KDE only currently.

Given the gazillion of possible combinations of libraries, desktop environments and configurations, it's difficult to predict on how many machines this actually works. If it doesn't, I would appreciate any feedback.

Sneak preview:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21555916/smalltalk/Xft.png

Re: Xft font rendering on X11

Andres Valloud-6
Just a quick note... we took an initial look at Xft a while ago and our
research so far indicates it won't work with the minimum required Linux
x86 compilation environment we support.  We're currently examining options.

On 8/16/2012 10:48 AM, Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was tired of the old ugly bitmap XFonts that are used by VW on X11, so I
> imported a few C header files of Xft and fontconfig, combined some code with
> duct tape, fixed bugs with WD-40, and published it in the public repository.
>
> Load package "Xft-Integration", save & restart the image. Don't use an
> important image ;)
>
> Another package, "Xft-DesktopIntegration" tries to gather font information
> from the desktop configuration. GNOME and KDE only currently.
>
> Given the gazillion of possible combinations of libraries, desktop
> environments and configurations, it's difficult to predict on how many
> machines this actually works. If it doesn't, I would appreciate any
> feedback.
>
> Sneak preview:
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21555916/smalltalk/Xft.png

Re: Xft font rendering on X11

Holger Kleinsorgen
Holger Kleinsorgen wrote
Given the gazillion of possible combinations of libraries, desktop environments and configurations, it's difficult to predict on how many machines this actually works.
the Xft integration crashes on Centos 6.5 on startup in XftListFonts(), so if someone is using the Xft in production, I would recommend to use the latest version (7.7).72 of package "Xft".