[Xtreams-Compression] Compression streams do not work with sockets

12

Re: [Xtreams-Compression] Compression streams do not work with sockets

mkobetic
"Reinout Heeck"<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Martin,
>   I currently lack the time to decently address this problem, so forgive
> me for this discussion will progress at glacial speed.

No problem, take your time.

> My current hunch is that it is solvable -- not quite a rats nest, merely
> a copious amount of tedium ;-)

Fair enough. Certainly on my end I'm past the point where I can constructively add to the discussion without actually sitting down and trying things out. And I'm not sure where that's going to happen either.

Best regards,

Martin

Re: [Xtreams-Compression] Compression streams do not work with sockets

mkobetic
Thank you Niall for your exhaustive list, I can't think of anything more to add. Unfortunately most of these are out of date to some degree by now. The most up to date reference is in the package comments, which are also used to generate the pages on the google code site (that's why the odd formatting).

But even the comments largely focus on documenting the API rather than the internals. One aspect that I would highlight, that is likely not apparent from the comments is that at the heart of all the stream types is a single method, #read:into:at: for read streams and #write:from:at: for write streams (this ignores positioning, but that only applies to a subset of streams). This facilitates creation of custom stream classes (transformations or terminals), but also provides clear entry point into an implementation of a particular stream.

"Niall Ross"<[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Can you recommend a document or presentation that shows the internals
> > and enumerates the design decisions in XStreams?
>
> My 2010 ESUG report contains a combined write up of a talk Martin gave
> at ESUG and a talk Michael gave later that year.  The PDF is at
>
> http://www.esug.org/data/ReportsFromNiallRoss/NiallRossESUG2010Report.pdf
>
> Martin's slides for his ESUG talk are at
>     http://www.slideshare.net/esug/xtreams
> or
>     http://www.slideshare.net/mkobetic/xtreams-esug-2010
>
> The various web pages written by Martin and Michael are at
>
> http://code.google.com/p/xtreams/
>
> (BTW, unless I'm missing something, these documentation locations are
> not actually mentioned in the Xtreams' packages comments or other
> obvious location with the code.  Am I missing an obvious reference?  If
> not, perhaps they should be.)
>
>              HTH
>                    Niall Ross

12