Yep I did it...

mchean
Congratulate me...
Despite the warning I saved my 'Tutorial' image over the top of the
'Default' image. Fortunatly the difference is just the Animal class, so I
can delete it and 'Save as' default - right?  In turn I should then save
Default off somewhere against future events.  Even so, this seems really
faulty to me.  After doing some work I saved my image using the Save as
nameing it Tutorial to a different directory.  I double clicked on that and
then later exited normally answering yes to the save image message.
Wouldn't it be nice if it warned me I was about to save the 'Tutorial' to
the 'Default' image?

Mike

Re: Yep I did it...

Ian Bartholomew-4
Mike,

> Congratulate me...

Well done??

> Despite the warning I saved my 'Tutorial' image over the top of the
> 'Default' image. Fortunatly the difference is just the Animal class, so I
> can delete it and 'Save as' default - right?

You can do and it shouldn't cause any problems but ....

> In turn I should then save Default off somewhere against future events.

Yes. The first thing I would recommend doing after installing Dolphin is to
start it up and then immediately exit, saving the Default image. Go to the
folder you specified for images and make copies of Default.img, Default.chg
and Default.sml in a separate folder. If you acidentally overwrite the
Default image again you can just copy these files back to recover without
having to reinstall.

NB You _must_ copy all 3 files together. Trying to mix 'n' match will give
you big problems.

FWIW I maintain (at least) three backup image sets

Default - Installation image
Patched - Default with any OA fixes installed
Working - Patched with all my extra packages and whatever.

>  Even so, this seems really
> faulty to me.  After doing some work I saved my image using the Save as
> nameing it Tutorial to a different directory.  I double clicked on that
and
> then later exited normally answering yes to the save image message.
> Wouldn't it be nice if it warned me I was about to save the 'Tutorial' to
> the 'Default' image?

Hmmm. I can't quite see what you did here. If you started up by double
clicking on tutorial.img then a save should write back to the same image and
not overwrite Default. Still, it's a lesson learned without too much damage
<g>. It could have been worse

Ian

Re: Yep I did it...

Don Rylander-3
Is it possible this is just a result of the "start the most recent image"
feature?  Just a thought

Don

"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> Mike,
>
> > Congratulate me...
>
> Well done??
>
> > Despite the warning I saved my 'Tutorial' image over the top of the
> > 'Default' image. Fortunatly the difference is just the Animal class, so I
> > can delete it and 'Save as' default - right?
>
> You can do and it shouldn't cause any problems but ....
>
> > In turn I should then save Default off somewhere against future events.
>
> Yes. The first thing I would recommend doing after installing Dolphin is to
> start it up and then immediately exit, saving the Default image. Go to the
> folder you specified for images and make copies of Default.img, Default.chg
> and Default.sml in a separate folder. If you acidentally overwrite the
> Default image again you can just copy these files back to recover without
> having to reinstall.
>
> NB You _must_ copy all 3 files together. Trying to mix 'n' match will give
> you big problems.
>
> FWIW I maintain (at least) three backup image sets
>
> Default - Installation image
> Patched - Default with any OA fixes installed
> Working - Patched with all my extra packages and whatever.
>
> >  Even so, this seems really
> > faulty to me.  After doing some work I saved my image using the Save as
> > nameing it Tutorial to a different directory.  I double clicked on that
> and
> > then later exited normally answering yes to the save image message.
> > Wouldn't it be nice if it warned me I was about to save the 'Tutorial' to
> > the 'Default' image?
>
> Hmmm. I can't quite see what you did here. If you started up by double
> clicking on tutorial.img then a save should write back to the same image and
> not overwrite Default. Still, it's a lesson learned without too much damage
> <g>. It could have been worse
>
> Ian

Re: Yep I did it...

mchean
Don:
After playing around some more, I think that this is what happened.  I was
able to find a default img in my documents/dolphin4.0 folder, so I'm back to
where I was.

Can someone point me to where the settings are to determine where the image
is saved?

Mike

Re: Yep I did it...

mchean
Thanks Ian:

I found the default image, and I'm going to institute a 3 image scheme like
you recommend.  In addition do you
create an image per application, and how do you resolve the differences
between the patched and working
image?

Mike

Re: Yep I did it...

Ian Bartholomew-4
Mike,

> In addition do you create an image per application,

There is a little can of worms underlying that question so I'll just answer
by mentioning the two main options.

1) Package working. This methods keeps a very clean image without any
application code (as opposed to additional tools) normally resident in the
image. The image is renewed very often (daily or more) from a clean backup
copy. All application code is kept in packages, the packages are loaded into
the clean image when you want to work on them and then saved when finished.
The image is not usually saved on exit.

2) Image working. The image is kept with all applications installed and is
rarely renewed from a backup. The image is saved on exit. It is probably
advisable to also regularly save applications in packages and backup the
image set (as you mention above) in addition to the normal image save.

These are the two extremes, there are obviously a number of intermediate
methods that can be used as well.  Personally, I'm a packager but I know
that others are imagers (and can resort to name calling so beware <g>). Once
you get into using Dolphin you will probably just settle into the method
that seems right to you.

> and how do you
> resolve the differences between the patched and working image?

The above probably explains this. My working image doesn't change very often
as I don't save images. If I make a change to one of the packages which are
resident in my working image, mostly additional tools, I just start up the
patched image, reload all the tolls and save a new working image (and back
it up again of course)

Ian

Re: Yep I did it...

Ian Bartholomew-4
Mike,

> Can someone point me to where the settings are to determine where the
image
> is saved?

You specify the default folder when you install Dolphin - IIRC "My
Documents/Dolphin 4.0" is the default

"Save as" gives you the option of selecting a folder for an image save,
stating in the folder used for the current image

"Save" just overwrites the image files that were used when Dolphin was
started, whichever folder they were in.

Starting Dolphin from the menu or by double clicking on dolphin.exe opens up
using the last image that was used (and therefore in the same folder).
Double clicking on an *.img file starts up Dolphin using that images files
and location

Ian