Yet another V.6 wish list

123

Re: Dolphin 6 feature request/enquiry

Blair McGlashan-3
"Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> "Shaping" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:41d2600e$[hidden email]...
>> Andy/Blair:
>>
>> Will version 6 expose the compiler?  ...
>
> No more than D5 does, however D5 already uses the RB parser in the
> browsers (the classes are renamed because they have been extended and are
> 100% compatible with the RB parser classes, but they are compatible enough
> for the RB refactoring engine to use through aliasing).

Sorry that should have said "are NOT 100% compatible"

Regards

Blair

Re: Dolphin 6 feature request/enquiry

Esteban A. Maringolo-2
[hidden email] escribió:

> What I would like to see in Dolphin is the following:
>
> 1) Auto completion (intellisense) while coding in the IDE similar to
> Visual Studio.
> 2) Namespaces and real private methods.
> 3) .NET libraries interface
> 4) Source saved as XML would be nice.
> 5) Simpler way to make forms. Form class?
> 6) Minor language enhancements E.g. built in case.
>
> The first one is critical because it makes life easy when coding given
> the thousands of classes and messages and the typing, but I can see its
> a difficult one to implement without data types.  When VB programmers
> complain about ease of use this is what they mean. They are spoiled by
> intellisense and this capability alone would expand the user base.

What's the advantage of fast typing?
Smalltalk is not a language, and the speed of your type doesn't care
  a lot, when you work in an ambiance like smalltalk, the time you
spend reading is many times greater than the time you use writing.
That slowness may help you to think.

The thousands of classes may be confusing at first, but as you work
you'll find yourself using just few. Think in the smalltalk "running
image" as an ambiance, where everything is there. As you doesn't use
all the gadgets you have in your kitchen, and allways end using the
same old knife, you don't have to use, and focus, on everything.
You can apply reduction as you move your focus, but you must see the
whole in a more holistic approach.
VB is a language, Smalltalk no, it just has a syntax. The "learning
curve" is different, but not _that_ different.

> I like Dolphin but I can't use it seriously at this point because of #1
> and #2. Either way I will upgrade when it's out just because it's fun
> to experiment with.

I would like namespaces, but in my short experience, never had a
name clash between classes, even with the well know "Person" class
(which may be present in almost every image).
I use VAST which has a lot, really, a lot of classes, pools, and so
on, and it works fine. VW hadn't namespaces until later versions,
and before that, big and well built systems were developed.

What's not there, in the major cases, can be built.
The main difference between the smalltalk "culture" and the rest, is
that when you build it, you "own" it, and can use it until you
consider appropiate. When someone does it for you, it will be there
until that someone decides the opposite. It's "bread for today,
hungry for tomorrow"*.

The smalltalk is yours, and with time, you'll end understanding what
I say about "yours", I mean the true meaning of ownership and
modification.

And one more methaphor, the last, I swear, think it as a house, when
you buy a house, with furniture, etc... you can use as it comes, but
your, and also mine, nature is to modify it until you feel
comfortable, even with small changes. If you live more than 5 years,
will end having a very different house, not in its basement, but yes
in the "living experience".

Best regards.

Re: Dolphin 6 feature request/enquiry

Schwab,Wilhelm K
[hidden email] wrote:
> We can argue all day on the merits of intellisense

That's not quite my point.  I am concerned about the cost/benefit of
trying to be like the rest of the world.  Intellisense is fine; however,
there _is_ a cost associated with it, though the mainstream types
(people I mean) typically won't recognize it.

 > but there is only
> one reason it's not available in Smalltalk: It can't be implemented
> without datatypes and rewriting all the classes, an unreasonable thing
> to expect.

It's worse than that; the code would be more complex, and very likely
either slower or less flexible.  Evaluating

        Lunch free

results in an exception every single time.

> About the only suggestion I have is actually something simple:
>
> At any workspace allow a hot key that opens an always-on-top mini
> browser to allow you to choose the class/method. You can then drag and
> drop (or double click) the method signature onto the workspace at the
> cursor. The mini browser then closes or optionally stays open until you
> close it.

Sounds a lot like what Chris provides.

> As a matter of fact, if the receiver is known (e.g. a class or literal)
> it could even position directly to that class.

Which is why I suggested doing this in the debugger where such
information is (or _appears_ to be [*]) available.

[*] Part of the power of Smalltalk is the ability to send any message to
any object.  That complicates some things, and greatly simplfies others.
  One would need to keep in mind that the class of one receiver might
not be terribly representative of the other objects that might appear as
arguments.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Yet another V.6 wish list

Dan Antion
True Christian wrote:

> Hi Diego,
>

>>Working with Smalltalk you
>>don't need databases, you don't want them.
>

> I need a bit of clarifying on this -- say you have a 3 Gig file of "stuff"
> which you can't have under WinXP -- only 2 G files are allowed.  Is
> Smalltalk, particularly Dolphin, integrated enough with Windows to hold the
> entire file as a "serialized" string?  Even if it can do it with the Windows
> OS using temp files, would the image file cross the 2 G boundary?  I think
> not.  So if there is a large amount of objects or data, then a database of
> some kind is required at least to manage the files they are stored in.
>
> Sorry, I'm not familiar with .com.
>
> Kirk Fraser

I don't want to get in the middle of the database debate, but I don't
think the 2G file size limit applies if you're using NTFS.  I know I
have a 30G backup file.

Dan

Re: Dolphin 6 date, price, speed improvements

Shaping-3
About when will Dolphin 6 be available?

How much will D6 cost for a Dolphin XP Pro 5 owner

Will D6 implement unboxed floats?

Will it be faster in any way?

Will its memory management change in any way that might speed handling of
large numbers of objects?

Shaping

123