Your Browser is too old

Herbert König
Hi,

today I started with Aida 6.2 porting AidaCharts.

When testing with the major Browsers every version including IE8
brings the "Your browser is too old" message because at least mine
identified as IE7.

I changed this but from the demo JavaScript, Ajax and Grids don't work
completely.

-In viewJavascript mouse over demo the element is not hidden when the
mouse leaves the element. This is also true for Firefox, Opera and Chrome.
-Sorting on Grids does not work.
-In viewAjax only the in place editor works.
-AidaCharts also don't work.

I feel it's a high price to pay to exclude all IE users on XP. XP
doesn't support IE9 which anyway is still a RC.

Going to the computer with Aida running I see a lot of debuggers, so I
can look into some of the issues.

I'll publish AidaCharts soonish. First Version will still use
Prototype which means ignoring all the advantages of 6.2.

Cheers,

Herbert                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Your Browser is too old

Janko Mivšek
Hi Herbert,

If you are using IE8, be sure that "Page->Compatibility mode" is not
switched on. This was necessary for one past Aida version and most od us
swithcehd IE7 Compatibility mode on, while now this is not necessary, so
don't forget to switch compatibility mode now off.

JSON support is the reason while 6.2 works on IE8 but not on IE7. IE8
includes JSON, IE7 and older not. Without JSON a whole Ajax part stops
working in Aida, that's why this support is essential.

We can add JSON detection and load JSON library additionally, but if
possible I'd avoid that.

Best regards
Janko

On 11. 03. 2011 21:34, Herbert König wrote:

> Hi,
>
> today I started with Aida 6.2 porting AidaCharts.
>
> When testing with the major Browsers every version including IE8
> brings the "Your browser is too old" message because at least mine
> identified as IE7.
>
> I changed this but from the demo JavaScript, Ajax and Grids don't work
> completely.
>
> -In viewJavascript mouse over demo the element is not hidden when the
> mouse leaves the element. This is also true for Firefox, Opera and Chrome.
> -Sorting on Grids does not work.
> -In viewAjax only the in place editor works.
> -AidaCharts also don't work.
>
> I feel it's a high price to pay to exclude all IE users on XP. XP
> doesn't support IE9 which anyway is still a RC.
>
> Going to the computer with Aida running I see a lot of debuggers, so I
> can look into some of the issues.
>
> I'll publish AidaCharts soonish. First Version will still use
> Prototype which means ignoring all the advantages of 6.2.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Herbert                          mailto:[hidden email]

Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Your Browser is too old

Herbert König
Hi Janko,

JM> If you are using IE8, be sure that "Page->Compatibility mode" is not
JM> switched on. This was necessary for one past Aida version and most od us

Yes I did that and verified IE8 in the debugger.

JM> JSON support is the reason while 6.2 works on IE8 but not on IE7. IE8
JM> includes JSON, IE7 and older not. Without JSON a whole Ajax part stops
JM> working in Aida, that's why this support is essential.

Yes and I would be happy with only IE8 working but the things I
described happened on a 64 Bit Win7 with 32 and 64 Bit IE 8

JM> We can add JSON detection and load JSON library additionally, but if
JM> possible I'd avoid that.

Same with me.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Your Browser is too old

Herbert König

HK> Going to the computer with Aida running I see a lot of debuggers, so I
HK> can look into some of the issues.

ok the problem is that ajax requests in IE8 have no content type field
in their headers. At least it's missing in HTTPPosts SwazooStream.

With a big maybe added it seems that in the JS function aidaEvent
needs to add that header. I tried (like in try and error) and it made
things work in IE8 and didn't break FF.

Except that umlauts in live and delayed input from server don't work
correctly.

But that's surely because I send the wrong content type and others may
know what to send.

See attached fileout, I added line 24.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

WebStyle-js13Events.st (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Your Browser is too old

Janko Mivšek
On 13. 03. 2011 20:18, Herbert König wrote:

> HK> Going to the computer with Aida running I see a lot of debuggers, so I
> HK> can look into some of the issues.
>
> ok the problem is that ajax requests in IE8 have no content type field
> in their headers. At least it's missing in HTTPPosts SwazooStream.

Hmm, I had something similar problem recently and as I remember I
patched Swazoo instead. But Swazoo should be in sync between VW and
Squeak/Pharo. Hmmm, I'll have in mind this for a while.

Janko