ZLibWriteStream compression level

Christopher Fuhrman-2
For my PlantUML project ( https://github.com/fuhrmanator/PlantUMLPharoGizmo ), I started to run into trouble when I have PlantUML source files that are bigger than around 900 bytes.

I think I tracked it down in that ZLibWriteStream, which I used to try to achieve the deflate approach used in PlantUML. It uses an flevel=1 of compression, which is "fast", rather than flevel=2, which is "default". This results in longer URLs because the text is less compressed. I couldn't see any way to influence the kind of compression. Does anyone know of a way?

I think the bug I am hitting is with the PlantUML.com's web server, since the URLs render fine on a PlantUML server running on localhost. But for compatibility, I would like to see if I can avoid the bug by changing how Pharo is doing the compression.

Re: ZLibWriteStream compression level

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I'm not sure, but to help isolate the bug, you could try compressing outside
the image via LibC (easier) or UFFI

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 at 16:29, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure, but to help isolate the bug, you could try compressing outside
the image via LibC (easier) or UFFI

I think I've isolated it to www.plantuml.com's implementation (see https://github.com/fuhrmanator/PlantUMLPharoGizmo/issues/2 for more details).

-----
Cheers,