ZeroMQ, Mongrel2...

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

What would you think of a ZeroMQ frontend to Pharo? I was playing with
ZeroMQ, and more specifically the Mongrel2 web server, and I thought
that would be cool to use it, but the only reference of ZeroMQ and
Smalltalk I saw was about some code from Thomas Gagné, which is not
available anymore.

Anyhow, would you be interested in a port to Pharo? It looks like the
protocol is not really hard to implement.

Best regards,

Geoffroy

Re: ZeroMQ, Mongrel2...

solar_sea
I'd be really interested in such port/binding. Note that as far I can
see 0mq provides language bindings through ffi and no direct ports.
The porting will require a larger effort and heavy maintenance
afterward should some 0mq internals change.

Regards,
Stanislav Paskalev

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Geoffroy Couprie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What would you think of a ZeroMQ frontend to Pharo? I was playing with
> ZeroMQ, and more specifically the Mongrel2 web server, and I thought
> that would be cool to use it, but the only reference of ZeroMQ and
> Smalltalk I saw was about some code from Thomas Gagné, which is not
> available anymore.
>
> Anyhow, would you be interested in a port to Pharo? It looks like the
> protocol is not really hard to implement.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Geoffroy

Re: ZeroMQ, Mongrel2...

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, I'm interested

Adrian

On Jan 11, 2011, at 17:24 , Geoffroy Couprie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What would you think of a ZeroMQ frontend to Pharo? I was playing with
> ZeroMQ, and more specifically the Mongrel2 web server, and I thought
> that would be cool to use it, but the only reference of ZeroMQ and
> Smalltalk I saw was about some code from Thomas Gagné, which is not
> available anymore.
>
> Anyhow, would you be interested in a port to Pharo? It looks like the
> protocol is not really hard to implement.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Geoffroy

Re: ZeroMQ, Mongrel2...

Philippe Marschall-2
On 01/11/2011 05:24 PM, Geoffroy Couprie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What would you think of a ZeroMQ frontend to Pharo? I was playing with
> ZeroMQ, and more specifically the Mongrel2 web server, and I thought
> that would be cool to use it, but the only reference of ZeroMQ and
> Smalltalk I saw was about some code from Thomas Gagné, which is not
> available anymore.
>
> Anyhow, would you be interested in a port to Pharo? It looks like the
> protocol is not really hard to implement.

There is no protocol, you wrap a C library.

What's suboptimal from a Seaside point of view is that Mongrel2 assumes
handlers are stateless which Seaside is not.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: ZeroMQ, Mongrel2...

Göran Krampe
Not at all the same thing as ZeroMQ but I did implement STOMP a while back:

http://www.squeaksource.com/StompProtocol.html

regards, Göran

Re: ZeroMQ, Mongrel2...

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks goran

It would be good to structure a bit all these data.
I hope that we will have a new squeaksource that helps us to get a better visibility for us but also from others

Stef

On Jan 11, 2011, at 9:51 PM, Göran Krampe wrote:

> Not at all the same thing as ZeroMQ but I did implement STOMP a while back:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/StompProtocol.html
>
> regards, Göran

Re: ZeroMQ, Mongrel2...

Mike Hales
I'd be really interested in zmq for pharo/squeak too. I've been playing with it to replace mutexes and semaphores for multiprocessing in a c program, and would love to be able to tie in some smalltalk too. Mongrel2 and seaside could be interesting too, especially for websocket support.

Mike

Mike Hales
Engineering Manager
KnowledgeScape
www.kscape.com

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Geoffroy Couprie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

What would you think of a ZeroMQ frontend to Pharo? I was playing with
ZeroMQ, and more specifically the Mongrel2 web server, and I thought
that would be cool to use it, but the only reference of ZeroMQ and
Smalltalk I saw was about some code from Thomas Gagné, which is not
available anymore.

Anyhow, would you be interested in a port to Pharo? It looks like the
protocol is not really hard to implement.

Best regards,

Geoffroy

Re: ZeroMQ, Mongrel2...

Philippe Marschall-2-3
On 16.01.2011 05:45, Mike Hales wrote:
> I'd be really interested in zmq for pharo/squeak too. I've been playing
> with it to replace mutexes and semaphores for multiprocessing in a c
> program, and would love to be able to tie in some smalltalk too.
> Mongrel2 and seaside could be interesting too, especially for websocket
> support.

No, see previous post.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: ZeroMQ, Mongrel2...

Janko Mivšek
I see ZeroMQ as a way to inter-process communicate easier with other
programing languages, which seems to be one of the main ZeroMQ goals?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: ZeroMQ, Mongrel2...

Philippe Marschall-2-3
On 16.01.2011 11:10, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> I see ZeroMQ as a way to inter-process communicate easier with other
> programing languages, which seems to be one of the main ZeroMQ goals?

Why? It just moves byte arrays around.

Cheers
Philippe