Zinc WebSockets Demo Movie

1 message Options

Zinc WebSockets Demo Movie

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

Today I implemented two simple demos to show what is possible using Zinc WebSockets.

1. a simple chatroom

- each client opens a websocket to the chatroom service running on the server
- the server keeps track of all connected client web sockets
- when a message comes in from any client it is distributed to all clients
- each client shows all incoming messages

2. a simple, continously updated status view

- a client connects and listens for incoming messages containing a status report
- the server streams status reports to each connected client each second
- in the web browser you get to see the Smalltalk image's clock, memory and process stats

I made a 5 minute (silent ;-) movie showing 3 different browsers talking to one Pharo Smalltalk 2.0 image running a Zn server.

Faster, but lower quality:

        http://youtu.be/CANkfSUbZIk

Pixel perfect quality, but 45Mb:

        https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16235440/Zinc-WebSockets-Demo-20120907.mov

The code can be found in

        http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents

packages

        Zinc-WebSockets-Core and Zinc-WebSockets-Tests

best update all of Zn. Only tested on 2.0, but it should work on 1.4.

This is still a work-in-progress. There are code comments but high level documentation is still missing.
I am looking for adventureous testers though.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu