Zinc and GemStone2.4

Dale Henrichs
I've just completed a port of the Zinc HTTP Server[1] to GemStone 2.4.x.

The port is based on GLASS 1.0-beta.9, which includes the Metacello Preview (scripting api and git/github support). GLASS 1.0-beta.9 will remain in development until the Zinc/Zodiac ports are complete and we've load tested the system.

We still need to add an ObjectLog-based ZnLogListener[3], review server stack for GemStone/Seaside[4], and port the secondary packages[2].

My current plan is to start work on porting Zinc to GemStone 3.1 followed by a port of Zodiac[5] to GemStone 3.1 then a heavy dose of load testing and finally backfill any remaining issues.

If you want to take Zinc for spin, there are installation instructions in the README[1]. Submit any issues/questions on the glassdb/zinc issue list[6].

If you want to take a crack at any of the outstanding issues or help with the porting efforts, feel free to fork the glassdb/zinc repository and dig in.

Dale

PS: many thanks to Sven Van Caekenberghe for his work on creating Zinc and Paul DeBuicker for his work on the initial port.

[1] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/blob/gemstone2.4/README.md
[2] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues/35
[3] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues/36
[4] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues/37
[5] https://github.com/glassdb/zodiac
[6] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues

Re: Zinc and GemStone2.4

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Dale,

I'm trying to pick up this thread with the intention to pick up some work on Zinc in GS.

I've followed the readme instructions on https://github.com/glassdb/zinc but I'm getting an error executing the load of Zinc:

In MCFileTreeStCypressReader>>methodSelectorFor: there is message_not_understood: ChangeList does not implement #parseSelector:

Currently browsing if I should load additional changes but maybe it rings a bell with you.

I'm still in 2.4 btw ;-)

Johan

On 07 Aug 2012, at 16:58, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> I've just completed a port of the Zinc HTTP Server[1] to GemStone 2.4.x.
>
> The port is based on GLASS 1.0-beta.9, which includes the Metacello Preview (scripting api and git/github support). GLASS 1.0-beta.9 will remain in development until the Zinc/Zodiac ports are complete and we've load tested the system.
>
> We still need to add an ObjectLog-based ZnLogListener[3], review server stack for GemStone/Seaside[4], and port the secondary packages[2].
>
> My current plan is to start work on porting Zinc to GemStone 3.1 followed by a port of Zodiac[5] to GemStone 3.1 then a heavy dose of load testing and finally backfill any remaining issues.
>
> If you want to take Zinc for spin, there are installation instructions in the README[1]. Submit any issues/questions on the glassdb/zinc issue list[6].
>
> If you want to take a crack at any of the outstanding issues or help with the porting efforts, feel free to fork the glassdb/zinc repository and dig in.
>
> Dale
>
> PS: many thanks to Sven Van Caekenberghe for his work on creating Zinc and Paul DeBuicker for his work on the initial port.
>
> [1] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/blob/gemstone2.4/README.md
> [2] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues/35
> [3] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues/36
> [4] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues/37
> [5] https://github.com/glassdb/zodiac
> [6] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues

Re: Zinc and GemStone2.4

Johan Brichau-2
Progress: I'm getting the load done when executing the following before loading Zinc:

"Get the Metacello configuration"
Gofer new
  gemsource: 'metacello';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
  load.

"Bootstrap Metacello 1.0-beta.32, using mcz files"
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project
  version: '1.0-beta.32') load.

On 04 Dec 2012, at 20:38, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> I'm trying to pick up this thread with the intention to pick up some work on Zinc in GS.
>
> I've followed the readme instructions on https://github.com/glassdb/zinc but I'm getting an error executing the load of Zinc:
>
> In MCFileTreeStCypressReader>>methodSelectorFor: there is message_not_understood: ChangeList does not implement #parseSelector:
>
> Currently browsing if I should load additional changes but maybe it rings a bell with you.
>
> I'm still in 2.4 btw ;-)
>
> Johan
>
> On 07 Aug 2012, at 16:58, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> I've just completed a port of the Zinc HTTP Server[1] to GemStone 2.4.x.
>>
>> The port is based on GLASS 1.0-beta.9, which includes the Metacello Preview (scripting api and git/github support). GLASS 1.0-beta.9 will remain in development until the Zinc/Zodiac ports are complete and we've load tested the system.
>>
>> We still need to add an ObjectLog-based ZnLogListener[3], review server stack for GemStone/Seaside[4], and port the secondary packages[2].
>>
>> My current plan is to start work on porting Zinc to GemStone 3.1 followed by a port of Zodiac[5] to GemStone 3.1 then a heavy dose of load testing and finally backfill any remaining issues.
>>
>> If you want to take Zinc for spin, there are installation instructions in the README[1]. Submit any issues/questions on the glassdb/zinc issue list[6].
>>
>> If you want to take a crack at any of the outstanding issues or help with the porting efforts, feel free to fork the glassdb/zinc repository and dig in.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> PS: many thanks to Sven Van Caekenberghe for his work on creating Zinc and Paul DeBuicker for his work on the initial port.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/blob/gemstone2.4/README.md
>> [2] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues/35
>> [3] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues/36
>> [4] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues/37
>> [5] https://github.com/glassdb/zodiac
>> [6] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues

Re: Zinc and GemStone2.4

Dale Henrichs
Johan,

I assume that the problem is related to the fact that zinc was ported using GLASS 1.0-beta.9 (which is under dev)[1] and I didn't update the dependencies correctly ... presumably Metacello has similar dependencies, but the config was updated correctly ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/glassdb/zinc/issues/38