Zinc and Zodiac - Synching/Contributing

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Sven,

for Zinc there is a new issue:

 1. Zinc is using #asBytesDescription. It should not be used as it is deprecated

     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/401

there is also

 2. https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20557 which is not yet integrated.

I also proposed some simple but necessary cleanups for Zodiac in Pharo 7:

 3. Proper categorization in Zodiac-Tests package
        - to use "test" category instead of "testing" and better group the tests written

     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/355/files

Also it looks like the #setUp in Zodiac tests never send a "super setUp". Which
should be fixed too.

I've noticed that both Zinc/Zodiac are not hosted on STHub. You seem to use your own custom
hosting server on

http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac
http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents

as well as github:

https://github.com/svenvc/zinc
https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac

If we just merge the changes from 3. into Pharo 7 they may later be overwritten when
synching also Zodiac again as in 2.

So how can we contribute from community side to both projects? Should I fork
https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac and send a PR to it so that you can integrate?

Thanks
Torsten

Re: Zinc and Zodiac - Synching/Contributing

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Torsten,

> On 26 Oct 2017, at 19:12, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Sven,
>
> for Zinc there is a new issue:
>

> 1. Zinc is using #asBytesDescription. It should not be used as it is deprecated
>
>     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/401

This change was applied upstream:

===
Name: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.470
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 28 October 2017, 11:10:06.068769 am
UUID: 1d831c82-f918-0d00-9306-5dc70a8677c5
Ancestors: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.469

Follow an API change in Pharo: use #humanReadableSIByteSize instead of #asByteDescription in ZnUtils>>#signalProgress:total:
===

> there is also
>
> 2. https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20557 which is not yet integrated.

This is waiting for an integrator, I believe people are working on it.

> I also proposed some simple but necessary cleanups for Zodiac in Pharo 7:
>
> 3. Proper categorization in Zodiac-Tests package
>        - to use "test" category instead of "testing" and better group the tests written
>
>     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/355/files
>
> Also it looks like the #setUp in Zodiac tests never send a "super setUp". Which
> should be fixed too.

Hmm, these are more cosmetic changes, I will have a look at them later on.

> I've noticed that both Zinc/Zodiac are not hosted on STHub. You seem to use your own custom
> hosting server on
>
> http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac
> http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents

I would not call that a custom hosting solution, it is just Monticello. Note that there are also a copies on StHub.

> as well as github:
>
> https://github.com/svenvc/zinc
> https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac
>
> If we just merge the changes from 3. into Pharo 7 they may later be overwritten when
> synching also Zodiac again as in 2.

Yes, that is true. I have to follow upstream. The GitHub versions also lag a bit sometimes.

> So how can we contribute from community side to both projects? Should I fork
> https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac and send a PR to it so that you can integrate?

Zinc/Zodiac are integral parts of Pharo that are managed externally. The goal is to simultaneously support many Pharo versions, not just the latest. Most production deploys of Pharo use version 4, 5 or 6, but they still need good HTTP(S) support. That is what I am trying to do.

The older MC repositories are public, so others can contribute in the proven MC way. I have nothing against git, but I have not yet fully switched, nor do I think that I can if I want to support older Pharo versions.

Sven

> Thanks
> Torsten

Re: Zinc and Zodiac - Synching/Contributing

NorbertHartl

> Am 28.10.2017 um 11:21 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>
> Torsten,
>
>> On 26 Oct 2017, at 19:12, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sven,
>>
>> for Zinc there is a new issue:
>>

>> 1. Zinc is using #asBytesDescription. It should not be used as it is deprecated
>>
>>    https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/401
>
> This change was applied upstream:
>
> ===
> Name: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.470
> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
> Time: 28 October 2017, 11:10:06.068769 am
> UUID: 1d831c82-f918-0d00-9306-5dc70a8677c5
> Ancestors: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.469
>
> Follow an API change in Pharo: use #humanReadableSIByteSize instead of #asByteDescription in ZnUtils>>#signalProgress:total:
> ===
>
>> there is also
>>
>> 2. https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20557 which is not yet integrated.
>
> This is waiting for an integrator, I believe people are working on it.
>
>> I also proposed some simple but necessary cleanups for Zodiac in Pharo 7:
>>
>> 3. Proper categorization in Zodiac-Tests package
>>       - to use "test" category instead of "testing" and better group the tests written
>>
>>    https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/355/files
>>
>> Also it looks like the #setUp in Zodiac tests never send a "super setUp". Which
>> should be fixed too.
>
> Hmm, these are more cosmetic changes, I will have a look at them later on.
>
>> I've noticed that both Zinc/Zodiac are not hosted on STHub. You seem to use your own custom
>> hosting server on
>>
>> http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac
>> http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
>
> I would not call that a custom hosting solution, it is just Monticello. Note that there are also a copies on StHub.
>
>> as well as github:
>>
>> https://github.com/svenvc/zinc
>> https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac
>>
>> If we just merge the changes from 3. into Pharo 7 they may later be overwritten when
>> synching also Zodiac again as in 2.
>
> Yes, that is true. I have to follow upstream. The GitHub versions also lag a bit sometimes.
>
>> So how can we contribute from community side to both projects? Should I fork
>> https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac and send a PR to it so that you can integrate?
>
> Zinc/Zodiac are integral parts of Pharo that are managed externally. The goal is to simultaneously support many Pharo versions, not just the latest. Most production deploys of Pharo use version 4, 5 or 6, but they still need good HTTP(S) support. That is what I am trying to do.
>
> The older MC repositories are public, so others can contribute in the proven MC way. I have nothing against git, but I have not yet fully switched, nor do I think that I can if I want to support older Pharo versions.

You can move to git and commit from time to time in smalltalkhub. Or even automatically.

Norbert

> [...]

>>> synching also Zodiac again as in 2.
>>
>> Yes, that is true. I have to follow upstream. The GitHub versions also lag a bit sometimes.
>>
>>> So how can we contribute from community side to both projects? Should I fork
>>> https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac and send a PR to it so that you can integrate?
>>
>> Zinc/Zodiac are integral parts of Pharo that are managed externally. The goal is to simultaneously support many Pharo versions, not just the latest. Most production deploys of Pharo use version 4, 5 or 6, but they still need good HTTP(S) support. That is what I am trying to do.
>>
>> The older MC repositories are public, so others can contribute in the proven MC way. I have nothing against git, but I have not yet fully switched, nor do I think that I can if I want to support older Pharo versions.
>>
> You can move to git and commit from time to time in smalltalkhub. Or even automatically.

I am not yet ready for that.

Hell, I haven't even contributed to Pharo 7 yet. It seems like things are still in flux all the time. Now it seems the whole filetree will go away.

> Norbert
>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Torsten

Re: Zinc and Zodiac - Synching/Contributing

Stephane Ducasse-3
>> 2. https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20557 which is not yet integrated.
>
> This is waiting for an integrator, I believe people are working on it.

I do not know how to do it. Else I would do it.

>> I also proposed some simple but necessary cleanups for Zodiac in Pharo 7:
>>
>> 3. Proper categorization in Zodiac-Tests package
>>        - to use "test" category instead of "testing" and better group the tests written
>>
>>     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/355/files
>>
>> Also it looks like the #setUp in Zodiac tests never send a "super setUp". Which
>> should be fixed too.
>
> Hmm, these are more cosmetic changes, I will have a look at them later on.
>
>> I've noticed that both Zinc/Zodiac are not hosted on STHub. You seem to use your own custom
>> hosting server on
>>
>> http://mc.stfx.eu/Zodiac
>> http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents
>
> I would not call that a custom hosting solution, it is just Monticello. Note that there are also a copies on StHub.
>
>> as well as github:
>>
>> https://github.com/svenvc/zinc
>> https://github.com/svenvc/zodiac
>>
>> If we just merge the changes from 3. into Pharo 7 they may later be overwritten when
>> synching also Zodiac again as in 2.
>
> Yes, that is true. I have to follow upstream. The GitHub versions also lag a bit sometimes.

I think that with better tools such solutions will be solved in the future,

Indeed we should have a process to load MC githubified versions for a while.

Re: Zinc and Zodiac - Synching/Contributing

Stephane Ducasse-3
Sven

Normally by the end of next week we will have a new file format as
well as an automatic transition for older projects.
After that I think that using Pharo 70 tools and contributing will be ok.
Right now this is working and sometimes blow up a bit :)

Stef

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 28 Oct 2017, at 11:39, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 28.10.2017 um 11:21 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Torsten,

>>> This change was applied upstream:
>>>
>>> ===
>>> Name: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.470
>>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>>> Time: 28 October 2017, 11:10:06.068769 am
>>> UUID: 1d831c82-f918-0d00-9306-5dc70a8677c5
>>> Ancestors: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.469
>>>
>>> Follow an API change in Pharo: use #humanReadableSIByteSize instead of #asByteDescription in ZnUtils>>#signalProgress:total:
>>> ===

>>> This is waiting for an integrator, I believe people are working on it.

>>> Hmm, these are more cosmetic changes, I will have a look at them later on.

>>> I would not call that a custom hosting solution, it is just Monticello. Note that there are also a copies on StHub.

>>> Yes, that is true. I have to follow upstream. The GitHub versions also lag a bit sometimes.

>>> Zinc/Zodiac are integral parts of Pharo that are managed externally. The goal is to simultaneously support many Pharo versions, not just the latest. Most production deploys of Pharo use version 4, 5 or 6, but they still need good HTTP(S) support. That is what I am trying to do.
>>>
>>> The older MC repositories are public, so others can contribute in the proven MC way. I have nothing against git, but I have not yet fully switched, nor do I think that I can if I want to support older Pharo versions.
>>>
>> You can move to git and commit from time to time in smalltalkhub. Or even automatically.
>
> I am not yet ready for that.
>
> Hell, I haven't even contributed to Pharo 7 yet. It seems like things are still in flux all the time. Now it seems the whole filetree will go away.
>
>> Norbert

Re: Zinc and Zodiac - Synching/Contributing

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> Hell, I haven't even contributed to Pharo 7 yet. It seems like things are
> still in flux all the time.

I definitely understand the feeling! Although, one day for fun I fixed a
little bug following Guille's instructions [1] and found it pretty
straightforward. I do not miss slices. In fact updating Fogbugz was harder
than committing the fix ha ha.

1.
https://github.com/guillep/PharoIntegrationProcess/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Zinc and Zodiac - Synching/Contributing

Stephane Ducasse-3
Yes in general this is simple.

Stef

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 5:22 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> Hell, I haven't even contributed to Pharo 7 yet. It seems like things are
>> still in flux all the time.
>
> I definitely understand the feeling! Although, one day for fun I fixed a
> little bug following Guille's instructions [1] and found it pretty
> straightforward. I do not miss slices. In fact updating Fogbugz was harder
> than committing the fix ha ha.
>
> 1.
> https://github.com/guillep/PharoIntegrationProcess/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean
> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Zinc and Zodiac - Synching/Contributing

Dale Henrichs-3

On 10/28/17 3:27 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

>> On 28 Oct 2017, at 11:39, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 28.10.2017 um 11:21 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Torsten,

>>> This change was applied upstream:
>>>
>>> ===
>>> Name: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.470
>>> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
>>> Time: 28 October 2017, 11:10:06.068769 am
>>> UUID: 1d831c82-f918-0d00-9306-5dc70a8677c5
>>> Ancestors: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.469
>>>
>>> Follow an API change in Pharo: use #humanReadableSIByteSize instead of #asByteDescription in ZnUtils>>#signalProgress:total:
>>> ===

>>> This is waiting for an integrator, I believe people are working on it.

>>> Hmm, these are more cosmetic changes, I will have a look at them later on.

>>> I would not call that a custom hosting solution, it is just Monticello. Note that there are also a copies on StHub.

>>> Yes, that is true. I have to follow upstream. The GitHub versions also lag a bit sometimes.

>>> Zinc/Zodiac are integral parts of Pharo that are managed externally. The goal is to simultaneously support many Pharo versions, not just the latest. Most production deploys of Pharo use version 4, 5 or 6, but they still need good HTTP(S) support. That is what I am trying to do.
>>>
>>> The older MC repositories are public, so others can contribute in the proven MC way. I have nothing against git, but I have not yet fully switched, nor do I think that I can if I want to support older Pharo versions.
>>>
>> You can move to git and commit from time to time in smalltalkhub. Or even automatically.
> I am not yet ready for that.
>
> Hell, I haven't even contributed to Pharo 7 yet. It seems like things are still in flux all the time. Now it seems the whole filetree will go away.
FileTree is not going away ... you can't install Tonel without
FileTree:) FileTree and Tonel are different disk formats and other than
making the choice about which disk format you prefer ... FileTree gives
you fine-grained version history at the method level at the cost of
consuming more disk space (because of minimum disk block sizes) ...
Tonel gives you less granularity for version history (class instead of
method) with the benefit of greatly reducing disk costs and providing a
more readable format for the source outside of the standard Smalltalk
environment ...

Personally i will continue to use metadatfull FileTree for all cross
platform/version projects (Tonel will probably not be back-ported to
older versions of Pharo) and Tonel for the newer projects that are aimed
at platforms where Tonel support is present ...

I am going to toy with the idea of using both formats to distribute
Metacello ... Tonel to be disk-space friendly and FileTree for older
platforms ... I would keep both formats in sync ... eventually I suppose
I will stop porting new features to the older platforms, but the project
will continue to be avialable in a form that older platforms can
continue to use it ...

Dale