Zinc loading problems (as project dep)

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hello,

I am trying to load stable Zinc as dependency in my project, like this:

                        project: 'ZincHTTPComponents' with: [
                                spec
                                        className: #ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents;
                                        versionString: #'stable';
                                        loads: #('Core' 'WebSocket' );
                                        repository: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents/' ].

I need WebSocket package, whiuch is not loaded by default and updated Core package (there is new method ZnClient defaultEncoder: - I need this).

Actual stable version of ZincHTTPComponents is 2.9.4 (for Pharo 6.x) and in this 2.9.4 stable version, there is Zinc-HTTP package with version Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.475.

Default version in Pharo 6.1 image is Zinc-HTTP-TheIntegrator.461.

After my project configuration load, there is no updated Zinc in my image.

When I try to load manually by:

ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project load: #stable.

error dialog occurs complaining about Zinc-HTTP have unsaved changes in the image (load/merge/cancel) - so, maybe, automatic load of Zinc as project depenedency is ignored due to this reason.

How to solve this situation? Can I force dependency to load (in my project ConfigurationOf)?

Thanks! Petr Fischer

Re: Zinc loading problems (as project dep)

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Petr,

I also have

  project: 'ZincHTTPComponents' with: [
    spec
      className: 'ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents';
      repository: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents';
      loads: #('Core' 'Tests' 'REST' 'AWS');
      versionString: #stable ];

in my main project, which has not changed in years and always works, AFAIK.

I also use(d) the load expression

  ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project load: #stable

a lot and it normally works.

Metacello sometimes acts weird when you already have code/projects loaded.

I am afraid I don't know what could be wrong.

Sven

> On 16 Aug 2018, at 17:09, Petr Fischer via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> From: Petr Fischer <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Zinc loading problems (as project dep)
> Date: 16 August 2018 at 17:09:41 GMT+2
> To: [hidden email]
>

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to load stable Zinc as dependency in my project, like this:

> project: 'ZincHTTPComponents' with: [
> spec
> className: #ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents;
> versionString: #'stable';
> loads: #('Core' 'WebSocket' );
> repository: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents/' ].
>
> I need WebSocket package, whiuch is not loaded by default and updated Core package (there is new method ZnClient defaultEncoder: - I need this).
>
> Actual stable version of ZincHTTPComponents is 2.9.4 (for Pharo 6.x) and in this 2.9.4 stable version, there is Zinc-HTTP package with version Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.475.
>
> Default version in Pharo 6.1 image is Zinc-HTTP-TheIntegrator.461.
>
> After my project configuration load, there is no updated Zinc in my image.
>
> When I try to load manually by:
>
> ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project load: #stable.
>
> error dialog occurs complaining about Zinc-HTTP have unsaved changes in the image (load/merge/cancel) - so, maybe, automatic load of Zinc as project depenedency is ignored due to this reason.
>
> How to solve this situation? Can I force dependency to load (in my project ConfigurationOf)?
>
> Thanks! Petr Fischer

Re: Zinc loading problems (as project dep) - versions mess

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
I can't understand a mess in Zinc packages versions. I downloaded fresh 6.1 (32bit) image from pharo.org, opened Monticelo Browser and searced for 'Zinc-HTTP' package.
There is version Zinc-HTTP (TheIntegrator.461). Repository info points to "http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents" by default, so I opened the repository and there is no packages with "TheIntegrator". Even version numbers are different - version SvenVanCaekenberghe.461 is different if I diff it. It looks like the version TheIntegrator.461 is close to SvenVanCaekenberghe.453.

Next test: when I run this code in fresh image:

ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project load: #stable

there is Zinc-HTTP (SvenVanCaekenberghe.453) after load. Why not 475 (it's stable or not)?

And now, I'm totally confused.

pf

> Hi Petr,
>
> I also have
>
>   project: 'ZincHTTPComponents' with: [
>     spec
>       className: 'ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents';
>       repository: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents';
>       loads: #('Core' 'Tests' 'REST' 'AWS');
>       versionString: #stable ];
>
> in my main project, which has not changed in years and always works, AFAIK.
>
> I also use(d) the load expression
>
>   ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project load: #stable
>
> a lot and it normally works.
>
> Metacello sometimes acts weird when you already have code/projects loaded.
>
> I am afraid I don't know what could be wrong.
>
> Sven
>
> > On 16 Aug 2018, at 17:09, Petr Fischer via Pharo-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > From: Petr Fischer <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Zinc loading problems (as project dep)
> > Date: 16 August 2018 at 17:09:41 GMT+2
> > To: [hidden email]
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to load stable Zinc as dependency in my project, like this:

> > project: 'ZincHTTPComponents' with: [
> > spec
> > className: #ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents;
> > versionString: #'stable';
> > loads: #('Core' 'WebSocket' );
> > repository: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents/' ].
> >
> > I need WebSocket package, whiuch is not loaded by default and updated Core package (there is new method ZnClient defaultEncoder: - I need this).
> >
> > Actual stable version of ZincHTTPComponents is 2.9.4 (for Pharo 6.x) and in this 2.9.4 stable version, there is Zinc-HTTP package with version Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.475.
> >
> > Default version in Pharo 6.1 image is Zinc-HTTP-TheIntegrator.461.
> >
> > After my project configuration load, there is no updated Zinc in my image.
> >
> > When I try to load manually by:
> >
> > ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project load: #stable.
> >
> > error dialog occurs complaining about Zinc-HTTP have unsaved changes in the image (load/merge/cancel) - so, maybe, automatic load of Zinc as project depenedency is ignored due to this reason.
> >
> > How to solve this situation? Can I force dependency to load (in my project ConfigurationOf)?
> >
> > Thanks! Petr Fischer

Re: Zinc loading problems (as project dep) - versions mess

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Yes, those .TheIntegrator versions are not real, can't explain that further.

If you want to go to the very latest version, you also have to load the latest version of ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents first, else you get an older latest version (yes this is a bit confusing, but it makes perfect sense when you think of it).

All this is normally done by the Metacello mechanism. Here is how you can do that in direct scripting:

Metacello new
 configuration: 'ZincHTTPComponents';
 repository: 'http://mc.stfx.eu/ZincHTTPComponents';
 version: #stable;
 load: #('Core' 'WebSocket' ).

(Untested though).

> [...]
>>>
>>> Actual stable version of ZincHTTPComponents is 2.9.4 (for Pharo 6.x) and in this 2.9.4 stable version, there is Zinc-HTTP package with version Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.475.
>>>
>>> Default version in Pharo 6.1 image is Zinc-HTTP-TheIntegrator.461.
>>>
>>> After my project configuration load, there is no updated Zinc in my image.
>>>
>>> When I try to load manually by:
>>>
>>> ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project load: #stable.
>>>
>>> error dialog occurs complaining about Zinc-HTTP have unsaved changes in the image (load/merge/cancel) - so, maybe, automatic load of Zinc as project depenedency is ignored due to this reason.
>>>
>>> How to solve this situation? Can I force dependency to load (in my project ConfigurationOf)?
>>>
>>> Thanks! Petr Fischer

Re: Zinc loading problems (as project dep) - versions mess

That Metacello code snip did not update the ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents to the latest version, so actual stable version was not loaded :( Weird.

pf