Zinc release?

Herby Vojčík
There are a few fixes out there for Zinc, not to mention convenience
like ZnEntity class >> json:. Don't you consider releasing the new
version (as I tried to update it by hand, it is not that easy, it has
more components, to load HTTP I had to update Character-Encoding as
well, so probably better if bumped as a group)?

Herby

Re: Zinc release?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 12 Oct 2017, at 15:58, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There are a few fixes out there for Zinc, not to mention convenience like ZnEntity class >> json:. Don't you consider releasing the new version (as I tried to update it by hand, it is not that easy, it has more components, to load HTTP I had to update Character-Encoding as well, so probably better if bumped as a group)?
>
> Herby

That's what configurations are for, to track the latest development release in a consistent way. You just do

  ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project bleedingEdge load.

Provided you loaded a recent configuration.

See the class comment of ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents for more info.

Sven

Re: Zinc release?

Herby Vojčík
Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

>> On 12 Oct 2017, at 15:58, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> There are a few fixes out there for Zinc, not to mention convenience like ZnEntity class>>  json:. Don't you consider releasing the new version (as I tried to update it by hand, it is not that easy, it has more components, to load HTTP I had to update Character-Encoding as well, so probably better if bumped as a group)?
>>
>> Herby
>
> That's what configurations are for, to track the latest development release in a consistent way. You just do
>
>    ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project bleedingEdge load.
>
> Provided you loaded a recent configuration.

I'm nort sure I want the bleeding edge loaded, albeit for recent configuration, for the production code (thought not mission criticial about lives or millions of $$$). Also I don't know if configurations are updated after each change out there (it must be done by hand I presume). So I was asking if there isn't a time
to release another stable one.

If not, and I still want not the true bleeding edge, but a "it works for me" snapshot in time, to load specific version of ConfigurationOf... and the issue ... project bleedingEdge load? Will it load only those version that were bleedingEdge at that time?

> See the class comment of ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents for more info.
>
> Sven

Re: Zinc release?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Herby,

> On 13 Oct 2017, at 14:37, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>
>>> On 12 Oct 2017, at 15:58, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> There are a few fixes out there for Zinc, not to mention convenience like ZnEntity class>>  json:. Don't you consider releasing the new version (as I tried to update it by hand, it is not that easy, it has more components, to load HTTP I had to update Character-Encoding as well, so probably better if bumped as a group)?
>>>
>>> Herby
>>
>> That's what configurations are for, to track the latest development release in a consistent way. You just do
>>
>>   ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents project bleedingEdge load.
>>
>> Provided you loaded a recent configuration.
>
> I'm nort sure I want the bleeding edge loaded, albeit for recent configuration, for the production code (thought not mission criticial about lives or millions of $$$). Also I don't know if configurations are updated after each change out there (it must be done by hand I presume). So I was asking if there isn't a time to release another stable one.
>
> If not, and I still want not the true bleeding edge, but a "it works for me" snapshot in time, to load specific version of ConfigurationOf... and the issue ... project bleedingEdge load? Will it load only those version that were bleedingEdge at that time?
>
>> See the class comment of ConfigurationOfZincHTTPComponents for more info.
>>
>> Sven

There are only two branches/versions: the latest development branch (bleedingEdge, 'head', just all the latest versions of all packages) and specific released versions (that get an id that you can refer to). Doing a release is a manual process that comes down to fixing the bleedingEdge at a moment when I feel it is stable enough.

There are no versions in between releases that you can refer to.

AFAIK this is how most Pharo projects work, it is how I work in all my projects.

Sven